“awesome hostel !”

YHA London Central
Ranked #20 of 862 Specialty Lodging in London
“awesome hostel !”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

had a great time at YHA, staff was great, room is clean and big, the bed also was very nice and has a big fluffy blanket (even though you could control de temperature of your room).
it was near the metro station (great portland street), and also a walking distance to Oxford st and Regents park.
the common area was really good, lots of ppl hanging out there, price is okay for the beers and meals.
it was my best option, and i'll be back there for sure.
cheers!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Diana M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

After traveling throughout Europe for the last 6 weeks, I have to say that YHA London Central had one of the worst sleeping situations. Poor ventilation combined with the poor hygiene of travelers caused the room each morning to smell like the inside of a locker room. We woke up dripping in sweat, and the smell of the room was just disgusting. So many different people moved in and out of the 6 bedroom dorm each day that it was nauseating. No one got any sleep, as people kept moving in and out early in the morning and late at night.

Location is poor. YHA is not located very close to the Tube.

Service was good. I highly recommend the Camden Pub Crawl. That was fun.

If I ever went back to London, I would probably avoid the YHA and choose a nicer, cleaner hostel with a better location.

• Stayed May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This location is amazing. Right in between 2 strain stations and minutes walk from Oxford Street. The people on reception were great. I forgot to confirm our booking 24 hours before like hostelbookers said to and we arrived 2 hours later than we said originally due to delayed flights, and there was no mention of either. Easy check-in with free wifi once you've signed up to YHA which ends up making your accommodation cheaper too.

Whenever we had questions about attractions or estimates on taxi fares, if they didn't already know they'd call or google and check for us - went above and beyond. Always about 4 people at reception too - no matter the time. Really great vibe in the common floor area and a good cheap breakfast!

We used 2 rooms whilst there and the first was smelly - even the linen. Really glad I took a sleeping bag liner. However, the next room was fine so maybe it was bad luck. Also really quiet in the sleeping areas!

Overall, the location, price, assistance, and breakfast made for a great stay. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great location. Clean hostel with kitchen. Staff are really helpful and the daily activities they run are a great way to meet new people. On my trip I stayed here on three seperate occasions and would stay here again. The only negative I have is the lift was broken on all three occassions but staff were friendly and carried my bags up to the fifth floor.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MaddieKH
Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Two years ago, I've been to London for two weeks of vacation. I was a bit worried because I had already had some bad experiences with hostels in Brazil.

I've really surprised when I got there. Although I was sharing a room with 5 more people, it was very organized, safe and clean. In my second week, I was moved to a room for 4 people, which was even better - we had our own restroom.

I didn't have issues when taking showers or using the restrooms - they were very clean, and they were cleaned many times during the day.

The place has a "family" aura - many family with kids and students were there. After walking all the day long, it was very good to "get home". Food was very good (with a nice option for breakfast), and staff was very kind and helpful (and cute!).

I really loved this hostel and I'll always recommend to any friend who is going to London.

Room Tip: Rooms for 4 have restroom inside!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gustavo P
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed for four nights. 2 children 11 & 15 years old, my husband and I stayed in a 4 bed room with ensuite in the 5th floor. Rooms and beds were clean, good kitchen facilities except frypans need replacing and there were no egg flips. Lift was broken on arrival and we had to haul our luggage after 24 hours + traveling. That was our only real issue. Wifi free if you are a member but only downstairs. Location and value for money excellent. Trains, buses, attractions and shops nearby. Highly recommend for families to use. Would definately stay again no matter the age.

• Stayed June 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travelled to London for 1 week at the beginning of June with my 2 brothers, husband and 2 young kids (1 yr old and 5 yr old). It was our first time staying here and I am really glad we did. We stayed in a 6 bed room with en suite bathroom/shower. The room was a decent space, the beds were REALLY comfortable, for all kids and adults. My son even wants to get a similar bunk bed at home now.

The kitchen was very convenient, as we stayed on floor 0 (kitchen is on floor -1). Hostel staff were very friendly and helpful.

The one downside to our stay was the bathroom. Although it was a good size with good working shower, the whole floor would get wet and we had to continuously clean it with the squeegee tool provided for us. It was sometimes just more convenient to go into the hall and use the shared bathroom.

Location-wise, it was an excellent place. Very close to Oxford Circus tube station, with Buckingham Palace just one stop away, Piccadilly Circus and all other attractions in close distance as well.

We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit central London!

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors, they are closest to the communal kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family