“Homophobic abuse of customers tolerated by management”

Poppies Fish & Chips Soho
Order Online
Ranked #2,817 of 27,113 Restaurants in London
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Poppies is renowned for their authentic fish and chips - and it's little wonder, with born and bred East-end proprietor, Pat 'Pop' Newland, at the helm. Pop's career in the fish and chip business started in 1952 when, aged 11, he got a job on Roman Road cutting up copies of The Daily Mirror to wrap fish and chips in. Half a century on, with decades of experience behind him, 'Pop' founded his own fish and chip shop, lending his name to the first branch of Poppies. The shop is filled with retro memorabilia from Pop's childhood - but Poppies is just as progressive as it is nostalgic, using the best and most responsibly-sourced ingredients to make top quality fish and chips. All the seafood used at Poppies is sustainable. It's caught on day boats and then delivered to the shop by third-generation Billingsgate fishmonger and old friend, Joe Bush. Every morning Poppie's' in house fishmonger, Salih Sadik, fillets the whole fish. It's this winning formula which has earned Poppies cult-status. A combination of ethical awareness, care and precision, mixed with decades of experience, jellied eels, and a hefty dose of charm.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you’re gay and expect to feel safe in SoHo avoid this place. My boyfriend and I just got verbally insulted by a customer. I complained to the staff about the homophobic abuse but they didn’t bother, I demanded to speak to the manager and asked him not to serve the homophobic customer, but he refused to do so as he already paid. The manager also threatened me to throw my mobile into the fryer if I record him and the abusive customer. Shocking behaviour in the heart of the gay village. Never felt so unsafe in Soho before and felt that the manager stood up for a customer who used homophobic language even in front of him instead of providing a safe environment for the gay community

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (663)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As a resident of soho and a regular visitor to poppies soho , tonight I visited poppies. Unfortunately on this occasion I was verbally abused for my sexuality. I reported this to staff .. staff were not concerned and commented that if customers paid , they will serve them , regardless of homofibic comments. Being in the centre of the gay district , this was
Very upsetting.. sad to know that the staff brush off homophobia despite being on the gayest street
In london . :-(

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My wife and I loved the traditional haddock fish. However the cod was not bad at all. The mushy peas and pickles were lovely, we enjoyed every bite we had. I've tried several fish and chips places, and this one was the best. The staff were really very friendly. They would even indicate if part of the food was Halal or maybe not (the jelly in the sweets). We went around 2:00 PM when it was not very crowded, because a friend advised us to avoid the peak hours.

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

I had the green salad (not great) and the cod fish and chips - needed salt. The restaurant was relatively empty around 1:00 pm. Service was attentive.

Reviewed January 15, 2020

We ordered haddock and chips, mushy peas and sticky toffee pudding. Huge portion of fish. My husband really liked the mushy peas and the sticky toffee pudding was excellent. It was fun to look at all the memorabilia on the walls and counters. The waiters were friendly and attentive.
Best part? No fish smell. It's an open kitchen and we didn't smell any fishy odor. Fresh Fish!

Date of visit: November 2019