Captain Bligh House
$251
$211
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$173
$166
$207
$194
Rosewood London(London)
$554
$409
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$154
$139
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
$252
$227
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$138
Travelocity
$400
$371
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe imperial war museumlondon apartmentfilm studioroyal suitecaptain's cabinwonderful hostslambeth north tube stationb blondon eyeray joycebreakfast provisionshome away from homelower marshelectric stovemini apartmentpaul s cathedralthe bus system
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I will start off by saying that we will stay at Bligh House every single time that we return to London. We hope that is sooner rather than later. Gayna and Simon you can never retire!

We stayed at this amazing B&B for 4 nights. Gayna and Simon greet you at the door like long lost friends. They make you feel incredibly welcome. The suites are private and we found them well appointed. My wife and I were in the Royal Suite while my mother was in the Captain's Cabin. Simon provided us with detailed and thoughtful directions to the house before our arrival. Once we got there we were provided with every resource necessary to make our way around London and maximize our stay. They thoughtfully and patiently answered all of our silly tourist questions as well.

We enjoyed our brief spells of down time in the sitting room of the Royal Suite which was a perfect suggestion from Simon. Thank you for that Simon. It was a highlight of our trip due to our ability to spend time together yet have our own private spaces. It made our second visit to your city even more special than we ever expected.

The kitchen in the Royal Suite is perfect for a B&B and we found everything that we needed. It was nice to have the ability to prepare our own food after 24 days of traveling. Simon and Gayna checked in on us to make sure that we were ok and to see if we needed anything but they did not fuss or dote. Perfect service as far as the three of us were concerned.

Gayna had read a review that had mentioned an uncomfortable bed in the Captain's Cabin. My mother found it to be very comfortable and had no issues with it whatsoever. However, due to that prior review Gayna was going to replace the mattress as a precaution. I would confidently say that if you ever had an issue while staying with Gayna and Simon all you would need to do is talk to them about it and they would make every effort to make you happy.

The location is fantastic. An easy walk to the bus, the tube, Westminster Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Parliament etc. We enjoy walking but these are truly manageable distances for anyone. They will cheerfully direct you to one of several restaurants and pubs mere blocks away. There are grocery stores quite close as well.

I could truly go on and on and would happily answer any questions that anyone might have about this accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank JPNewWest
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Gayna and Simon have everything right, they are welcoming but it is truly like your own home where you come and go as you please and have the sanctuary of your very own Captain's Cabin. Excellent value, great location, everything within walking distance, trains and buses everywhere also. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Adriennejayne
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was the second time I stayed at the Bligh House and had a lovely time. The rooms are interesting and adorable. Its perfectly located for exploring the central London on foot. You get a nice breakfast starter and the rooms are clean and just the right size. I stayed in the Film studio and the bed was fantastic, the size and comfort, even before they got a new mattress!
Highly recommended as a central London location and for people who don't like the bland, tasteless hotel rooms and like a bit of charm and quirkiness!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LiliC19
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I chose Bligh House again because of its proximity to the Imperial War Museum where I was doing some research. I had a wonderful stay two years ago when Bligh House first opened but I was concerned about a review which mentioned an uncomfortable mattress in the Film Studio and cooking smells in the room. And I'm really fussy. Well the mattress is brand new (as is the Studio itself) and I slept like a baby! There is a door between the kitchen and the bedroom and an expelaire for the kitchen and bathroom too so I didn't experience any such problems of the previous complainers. Absolutely no complaints from me!!
I felt like a Film Star in my own little Film Studio, Thanks Gaynor and Simon, I shall definitely be back again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank wonderinstar
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed 4 nights recently at the Captain Bligh House B&B and had a wonderful time! Everything was perfect & we have no regrets or complaints!

We were coming in from having stayed elsewhere in England, and arrived at Waterloo train station. From there you can either walk (.7mi, 15 mins), or take the Tube 1 stop to Lambeth North (from there about a block and a half, 4 mins).

We were greeted with a warm, personal hello from the proprietors Simon and Gayna, and walked up to our room on the top floor, the "Crow's Nest". The room was very clean, very smartly designed, and decorated in the theme of the name. It consisted of a large central area in the front divided into a kitchen and a living room. The kitchen had an oven/stove, hotpot, and refrigerator stocked with juices, milk, & breakfast fixings. This is a B&B where the breakfast materials are all provided in-room rather than in a downstairs common area. The living room had a HD TV and the windows opened out to a wonderful view of the park adjacent to the Imperial War Museum. We did not notice any road noise at all.

The bedroom was in the back, also with windows that opened out to the North. The bed was more comfortable than our own back home and Christina and I both slept perfectly! The bathroom was clean, and smartly designed to optimize space, and included an on-demand hot water heater for the shower.

The B&B itself is amazingly well located. We walked pretty much everywhere we wanted to go. Gayna was telling me that (years ago) she used to house members of Parliament there because it was within the Bell zone, where members could return within minutes when called. It's an easy walk north to the Thames, over to the London Eye, down to the Tate Modern and other museums. Or on across the bridge to to Westminster, Parliament and beyond. One night we went to a rave in South London (getting back about 4:30AM) and found that the neighborhood (even at that hour) felt completely safe for walking around at night.

Most nights we ate in other neighborhoods in London (e.g., Malay Satay House in Paddington, yum!), but one night we did enjoy a meal at the pub on the corner, The Three Stags.

Overall I would definitely recommend staying here! After a long day exploring London, the B&B was a wonderful place to come home to! Reasonably priced, cozy, clean, perfect location in a quiet neighborhood! What a find!

Room Tip: We stayed in the top "Crows Nest" but peeked into all of them. They all looked quite nice. The Royal Suite was on a lower floor and might be better for those who have more difficulty with stairs. We did not find the stairs a problem at all.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple