“Badly organised”

The London Film Museum - South Bank
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: The London Film Museum South Bank has now closed. However you can still find us at the London Film Museum Covent Garden where we are dedicated to the Bond in Motion Exhibition.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We visited this museum on a Saturday afternoon in mid November, and unfortunately picked a date when it was closed for a private function. We hadn't checked the website first since we hadn't appreciated this might happen. We went back the following day in time for the 11 am opening to find the shutters still down and no information as to when it might be open again. The staff in the cafe at County Hall suggested we try the back entrance, and despite the lack of signage we did find our way in. The staff said they had been still clearing up after the function and would not be opening until noon. Having made such a persistent effort to see the collection, I wish I could say it was worth the wait, but it was not. This was a tired collection of random props from a wide variety of different movies. We didn't pay a lot to get in (we used the Great Days out 2 for 1 offer) but even so I felt we did not get what we paid for. The only area where the museum has tried to draw together items under a theme was the Charlie Chaplin section, which was fairly interesting. The rest was pretty poor. We found this such a disappointment. London and Britain are heavily involved in film making; surely the organisers could have made more effort to borrow or acquire interesting artefacts? My visit last year to Harry Potter World, whilst admittedly more expensive, was such a great experience, therefore I was expecting more from this central London museum. There were only a handful of other people there during our visit so perhaps lack of money is the issue? It needs a big injection of cash and initiative to make it worthwhile.

2  Thank JMR61_13
There are newer reviews for The London Film Museum - South Bank

Reviewed November 9, 2013

As recorded by other Trip Advisors we found the museum to be tired and in need of a make over (even a dust would help)! The large cabinets at the entrance were so dusty and dirty it seemed to set the trend! The whole experience was a let down really from start to finish and needed an overhaul. The lighting was so dim in one of the character rooms we couldn't read the information on the walls! After walking past the very long queues for the London Dungeons, we wondered why there was no queue for the museum, walked straight in and moved around freely - we now know why!!

2  Thank Sue H
Reviewed November 8, 2013

In the people packed madness of the County Hall Area this was a lovely calm place to escape to. We visited on a Sunday morning and were greeted by friendly helpful staff and the tickets were reasonable (especially by London standards) and you can go round at your own pace, looking around wherever you like. They have interesting timelines and information on studios and film history and there are rooms dedicated to different genres e.g. 'Super Heroes' and 'Horror' to name just two, the highlight for me was seeing the huge Alien Queen from the Alien movies and my husband was delighted at seeing the Star Wars exhibit (where there is a great photo opportunity for an extra cost). My only query was the museum doesn't have any signage indicating a particular route you should follow so we had to check with staff we hadn't missed anything, but overall a really lovely experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

After visiting the terrible Riley's belief it or not, this was a welcomed relief.
Genuine artefacts props, and very we'll presented exhibits. Little is know of this museum cannot understand why, my 2 girls were in awe of many of the props, models considering they haven't seen many of the films presented. My girls 9 and 10 kept saying this is so cool and loved the props especially the giant section from honey I shrunk the kids exhibit.
The Star Wars section was brilliant and the photo we had was in itself worth the money only £5 half of what other attractions charge, very good value, even the entrance fee was modest compare to "ripleys rip off"
Thoroughly enjoyed this and something I would do again, at last something in London worth going to.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I'm not sure why people feel there is not enough to see here; there's at least an hour without even reading all the text on the boards explaining the history of the UK studios. i wonder whether some previous reviewers realised that some of the exhibits are in rooms off the main corridor - this is a listed building, so they cannot remodel the inside. That also presumably explains why it is not well signposted inside (up the stairs and on the first floor).

That said, the reviewer who pointed out that many of the Star Wars exhibits are replicas is right; they are fun to see (and clearly labelled as what they are) but not at the same level as some of the costumes etc from other films which are genuine. The supposed Star Wars set was also a bit naff, and there was no photographer there when we were there (though I suppose that meant we could have taken photos if we wanted).

I particularly liked the more ephemeral things, like shooting scripts of films that had been annotated etc. However many exhibits did not have much in the way of captions or explanation, and even given the limitations of the rooms, there seemed to be some odd decisions about how some exhibits were laid out and grouped.

I am reliably informed by my Whovian son that the TARDIS and Daleks are from the film "Doctor Who and the Daleks" with Peter Cushing as the doctor, and so not considered canonical by the cognoscenti, though obviously it makes sense as this is a film museum not a TV museum.

if I had paid full price for both of us i would have thought it was rather steep, but since a 2 for 1 offer is easy to come by I thought it was fair value.