“Wont stay here again, really noisy”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #402 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Aberdeen
“Wont stay here again, really noisy”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Arrived about 20 mins before check in with a very tired little girl and was told we couldn't check in unless we paid extra, then they demanded £1 to leave our case. I hadn't had a chance to withdraw any money and had to rummage round for money and even had to accept some from another guest. Anyway, when we came back to check in, there was a queue of about 10 people and NO ONE on reception and no one in the bar area (where there was a sign telling people that they should contact someone at reception if no-one was there). Anyway after waiting for about 15 minutes, two members of staff turned up. It was at this point I noticed a sign saying that they'd like people to contribute a £1 'donation' per bag left, which was for charity!

So we checked into our room, which looked ok (apart from the bill being overflowing with rubbish and only being 2 towels for 3 of us). Bed time was awful - the beds were really hard (I've stayed in plenty other Travelodges and they were all fine). The worst part of it though was the noise - seriously, every time anyone turned on a hot tap it sounded like a fog horn! This went on throughout the night and we hardly got any sleep.

Will never stay in this particular Travelodge again, it was awful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your review Paula S. Our London Southwark hotel have been raising money for the Macmillan Cancer Support charity and our guests have the opportunity to donate money to use our luggage facilities, this donation is optional so we are truly sorry you felt it was compulsory. It is regrettable to learn our staff were not available to assist you at all times, on occasion they may not be at the desk as they will need to complete other tasks however there will be a buzzer at reception to alert them and we do expect our staff to arrive at the desk as soon as possible. Our rooms should be fully serviced and set up correctly with the correct amount of towels so we are sorry that you did not have enough towels on this occasion and that the bin had not been emptied. We’ll be sure to pass on your feedback to our Hotel Manager so they can address these issues. We have recently refreshed up our hotel and put in brand new pocket sprung beds in every room and we have received some great feedback, however we are aware that our guests may have different preferences on the firmness of a mattress.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We states at this Travelodge for just one night on a short trip to London, with my 18 month old son. We have stayed in a number of travelodges, and this one is modern, clean and well located for Southwark tube station (2 minutes walk) and therefore all of London's amenties.

Unfortunately, our visit was somewhat let down by some issues that should not be experienced in a family friendly hotel. When we made the booking, i was concerned by information on the website that said that baby cots are of limited availability. This was essential for us, so prior to making the booking, I called the hotel to check, as would have booked elsewhere if there was a possibility that we would not be able to get a baby cot. We were reassured by the person on the phone that although they were on a first come first served basis, if I rang approximaltey 2 weeks prior to my stay, a note could be made on our reservation. We were also told that in the unlikely event they ran out, it would not be a problem as there are many travelodges in London and they would just borrow one from another hotel.

On our arrival, we checked in promptly at the start of check in time. The lady checking us in told me they could see the note on my reservation for a baby cot, and advised me that they would get the cot sent up to my room during the afternoon. We dropped our bags into our room, and then went out for the rest of the afternoon before returning after our evening meal, expecting our baby cot to be there. It wasn't! I went down to reception and the receptionist went off to look for one. 10 minutes later he came back, apologised and told me that there wasn't one. He told me he could provide me with bedding to make up the single bed in our room. I explained that my son was only 18 months, had never slept in a proper bed, nor was I about to let him ( Travelodge beds are quite high off the floor). He then told me that he would ring other hotels and try and see if they had any. It was already way past my sons bedtime. Eventually, 1 hour 30 minutes later, a baby cot arrived to our room and we were left trying to put it together at 21:30 with my son asleep in my bed

Just to top it off, when we went down for our breakfast in the morning, we asked the staff member who greeted us in the breakfast room for a high chair. She told me that they didn't do high chairs. How can a hotel that are supposedly family friendly not have one single high chair? I went to complain to reception and was told they did have one, and promptly brought it through to us. Bit of training for staff??

If you are staying at this hotel without young children, then I would say that this hotel is ideal if you are looking for a clean comfortable and cheap hotel. However, if you are staying with young children, I would suggest booking elsewhere. The impression I got was that staff saw young children as a bit of incovienience to them

1 Thank Markavo1
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction during your recent stay with us Markavo1. Our hotels are family friendly so we are truly sorry that you felt the hotel did not provide a friendly welcome and good service during your stay. It is a requirement that if a guest requests a cot before their stay then it should be in their room before their arrival so we are truly sorry of the problems you had, we also do also provide high chairs in the bar café so it is regrettable to learn you were told otherwise. We will be sure to pass on your comments to the Hotel Management team so that they are able to address these issues and remind the staff of the importance of customer care. Thank you for your feedback.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night (my friend & I) B&B, booked a twin room, when we arrived at the room firstly the size is very decent there was a double bed and 2 single beds, loads too choose from! The room was clean, modern and very comfortable, the bathroom again very clean, just what you need. The communal areas were very well kept, the staff were friendly. The breakfast was really good with a wide selection of cereals, yogurts fruit, drinks and cooked breakfast. The only down side I think May need addressing is there needs to be better signage outside (a board that sticks out from the building) as we walked past it (and my sense of direction isn't very good!!) I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank vikki s
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Travelodges are what they are, but when looking for reasonable accomodation in London, this is a perfectly good option. Right next to Southwark tube station, and a decent enough breakast available.
The rooms are nice and big, and it was quiet for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great value. Comfy and clean room. Great central location, near to Waterloo station. Easy to get into Central London. Best nights sleep I have had in a hotel in the last few years. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Haywards Heath
Reviewed December 8, 2013

As mentioned in other reviews, this hotel is in a great location, less than 5 mins to the Tube and above a local shop. We had a disabled access room which was perfect for our needs, it has recently been refurbished, Very friendly helpful staff who made sure we had everything we needed. We had no train noise and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful and what we expected but the one thing that we didn't like was lunch. We decided to eat there the day we arrived and it was not goodl - from the freezer straight into a microwave - and mine was left in too long and ended up very hard and in parts inedible. Other than that that we would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted a good value (for London!) hotel. Make sure you visit Borough Market and the Shard - amazing food and a fantastic view

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Barcelona
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Standard hotel, could be considered cheap (for London). Convenient location, a few steps from Southwark station. Ask for a room facing the street in order to avoid the train noise coming from the other side.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business