“Not great and deinitely not worth the money”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #403 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Not great and deinitely not worth the money”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed in Travelodges before and know what to expect so wasnt surprised by the lack of toiletries and fairly basic rooms. However, this time I was stunned that they could charge me (well my company) £171 room only.
Location wise it's not too bad and is close to Southwark Tube and bars and restauarnts on the South Bank.
However the view from my room was a close up of people passing by on trains along the nearby viaduct.
The hotel claims it has been recently refurbished by tiles were cracked in the bathroom, bits of the shower had fallen off, the movement sensing lights in the corridor didnt seem to work so it was vert diffuclt trying to get back into the room at night, there was a smell of damp and the twels were like sandpaper.
The bar does a fairly standard selection of pies, burgers, chips etc and wasn't badly priced but again you get what you pay for with the food, although Claudio who was serving was very friendly, polite and professional.
And if it wasny expensive enough the soft drinks vending machine decided to eat my money and not give me a drink.
Was it worth £171? Absolutely not. Would I have been satisfied if I had paid the more usual price of around £50? Possibly but I have stayed in bettwer Travelodges.

1 Thank npr1uk
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment npr1uk. We are still committed to offering competitive rates and advise customers to book as far in advance as possible to access the cheapest rates. We are sorry to learn about the issues with your room and will let our hotel staff know so they are able to make repairs and ensure all of our rooms are fresh and aired thoroughly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leeds
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked into this hotel at the last minute and was pleasantly surprised. While basic, bring your own shower gel, shampoo, soap etc, the room was clean and very comfortable. Reception staff was fantastic, I asked for a quiet room and it really was quiet! Breakfast was good value. I would stay here again.

2 Thank kathy535
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

In the past at when we have brought the two children, me and my husband have always had to share the bed in a family room but this time was super impressed to see that there was two single beds made up with our double,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My bedroom was unclean and I only realised how bad when I spent all night itching!
Food from the cafe was usual microwave or quick fry food
Breakfast was good
Trains were very loud past my bedroom window!

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We’re really sorry about the poor experience you had in our hotel Catherine L. Our rooms should be clean and fresh and it is regrettable the standards fell below our expectations on this occasion. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.
Antwerpen, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was raving about this hotel just over a year ago, but now I'm not that positive.

What's with the water pipes?! They should really do something about it. They made a lot of noise, day and night.
Carpet in the hall way was worn down and there was a weird smell. Breakfast was ok. Good for the two nights we were there, but not longer.

No, for our next trip in December we've booked another hotel. This Travelodge is ok when you can get a very cheap room and are travelling on a budget. But for our family trip with 4y old daughter, we've booked something else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meilans
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Meilan S, we’re really sorry to hear about the disruption you have been experiencing at our hotel during your stay. We would expect our housekeeping staff to notice any smells. If possible, we will air the area. The hotel will be made aware of the feedback that you have left so they are able to get the plumbing checked.
Norwich
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for three nights. The room was very clean and sorted out and tidied during the days of our stay. Excellent breakfast. Air con was difficult to set at a good temperature. The windows did not open because of the railway lines close by, which we could hardly hear. Once or twice the plumbing made a screeching sound, presumably when somebody in another room was using a shower, but generally this was not a problem. I would recommend this venue which is convenient for several theatres in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went to London for the weekend for my grandaughters 16th birthday and stopped at the Southwark Travel Lodge for the weekend . Let me tell you i have stopped in hotels 4 @ 5 star but have never had such marvelous service .I asked the manager if it was possible for us all to be seated on the sunday as it was my grandaughters birthday he said not a problem asked if we had a cake and balloons i said no as it was a surprize weekend .So sorry i should tell you the manager i spoke to was called Zviad he and the waitress Joanna between them bought a Birthday Cake ,Birthday Balloons and Birthday serviettes I can not thank you enough for making my grandaughters birthday so special .And thanks to Claudio the barman who looked after us so well If you are ever going to london Southwark Travel Lodge is Certainly the Place to Stay margaret from leeds

• Stayed September 2013