“Pleasantly surprised”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #409 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I booked into this hotel at the last minute and was pleasantly surprised. While basic, bring your own shower gel, shampoo, soap etc, the room was clean and very comfortable. Reception staff was fantastic, I asked for a quiet room and it really was quiet! Breakfast was good value. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank kathy535
There are newer reviews for Travelodge London Central Southwark

Reviewed September 26, 2013

In the past at when we have brought the two children, me and my husband have always had to share the bed in a family room but this time was super impressed to see that there was two single beds made up with our double,

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My bedroom was unclean and I only realised how bad when I spent all night itching!
Food from the cafe was usual microwave or quick fry food
Breakfast was good
Trains were very loud past my bedroom window!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We’re really sorry about the poor experience you had in our hotel Catherine L. Our rooms should be clean and fresh and it is regrettable the standards fell below our expectations on this occasion. We would like to take this opportunity to investigate the concerns that you have raised, please use the contact us button on our website to provide us with more information which will allow us to offer a resolution.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was raving about this hotel just over a year ago, but now I'm not that positive.

What's with the water pipes?! They should really do something about it. They made a lot of noise, day and night.
Carpet in the hall way was worn down and there was a weird smell. Breakfast was ok. Good for the two nights we were there, but not longer.

No, for our next trip in December we've booked another hotel. This Travelodge is ok when you can get a very cheap room and are travelling on a budget. But for our family trip with 4y old daughter, we've booked something else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Meilans
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Meilan S, we’re really sorry to hear about the disruption you have been experiencing at our hotel during your stay. We would expect our housekeeping staff to notice any smells. If possible, we will air the area. The hotel will be made aware of the feedback that you have left so they are able to get the plumbing checked.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for three nights. The room was very clean and sorted out and tidied during the days of our stay. Excellent breakfast. Air con was difficult to set at a good temperature. The windows did not open because of the railway lines close by, which we could hardly hear. Once or twice the plumbing made a screeching sound, presumably when somebody in another room was using a shower, but generally this was not a problem. I would recommend this venue which is convenient for several theatres in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went to London for the weekend for my grandaughters 16th birthday and stopped at the Southwark Travel Lodge for the weekend . Let me tell you i have stopped in hotels 4 @ 5 star but have never had such marvelous service .I asked the manager if it was possible for us all to be seated on the sunday as it was my grandaughters birthday he said not a problem asked if we had a cake and balloons i said no as it was a surprize weekend .So sorry i should tell you the manager i spoke to was called Zviad he and the waitress Joanna between them bought a Birthday Cake ,Birthday Balloons and Birthday serviettes I can not thank you enough for making my grandaughters birthday so special .And thanks to Claudio the barman who looked after us so well If you are ever going to london Southwark Travel Lodge is Certainly the Place to Stay margaret from leeds

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Globetroter66
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have just come back from a long awaited trip to London as a family trip. We booked the Travelodge at Southwark for £259 for two nights. First impressions were great. Excellent location, step out of the hotel and you can see the tube station. It's in a nice location.

After being up to catch our train at 3am we were looking forward to an early night. The room was clean but my sons bed was right up against a window that went to the floor. Now I know it's double glazing but the drop made me uncomfortable.

We switched off and by 12am we were woken VERY VERY LOUDLY by an awful horn like noise coming from the water system. This went on ALL NIGHT every 20 minutes. I had no sleep and it was a scary sound. My son was frightened. By 1am I got dressed and went to reception. The man on reception was very kind and very apologetic. I explained that this was unacceptable and that I had read on here that other guests had the same issue. I do think that this is a continuing problem they cant sort and try and limit the people who complain about it. He said it wasn't a hotel problem otherwise all the other guests would be down here complaining and that our room (519) was close to the water system. He offered us to change rooms that night but we had just settle our son off but offered to change us in the morning.

The next day they took our things and said that we would put away from the pipes to a quieter room and we could pick up the keys. Can I say the staff were very accomadating and friendly. We were put into 726 and to our dismay around 10pm the same noise happened again and if anything it was worse. I think the moving rooms thing is what the staff do if people complain because they can't fix the problem and they want you to think they helped. They are right I couldn't be bothered to go down again and in the morning the reception was packed. I was just exhausted. It really ruined our trip. It's close to the railway but I could live with that, it's the blasts of the pipes all night that kept us awake. Really disappointed.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sarah_334
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Sarah_334 we’re really sorry to hear about the disruption you have been experiencing at our hotel during your stay. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution so please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review. All customer feedback is invaluable to us and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware of the comments that you have made.