“IN LONDON, OVERALL FANTASTIC VALUE”

Travelodge London Central Southwark
Ranked #419 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Please keep in mind it's a TRAVELODGE, not THE RITZ.
This is by far the best TRAVELODGE we have stayed in. Fantastic value, great location, it's own bar and friendly STAFF.
After reading some earlier reviews, about not friendly staff and noise from the train station, I must I had second thoughts at what we had booked for our 1st WEDDING ANNIVERSARY, but we are the type of people that make our own minds up and speak what we find.
I have never stopped in this area before, so here goes.
Firstly, we got to the hotel about 1pm. Check-in is not until 3pm, you can check in at an extra cost of £10. I have never understood this practice, your room is either ready or it is not! What difference does an extra £10 make, does the room get itself ready? I don't think so, this dropped it a star. But other than that, the reception staff was very pleasant and I did like the idea of donating a pound to charity for each bag you left while you used the left luggage facility. This was for the Mac Millan Cancer Fund, to which you put your donation in the collection tin yourself. GREAT IDEA.
We was and at the time of doing this review still are on the 7th floor(top) entering our room the was a strange type of smell, but I do think it may be a cheap type of air freshener, hence that lost the other star.
The room was spotless, basic, but what the hell we paid for basic. Fine by us. The bar was also used as the breakfast room, but also clean and tidy, slight problem in the bar gents toilets with the ceiling tiles on the sink, don't know what happened their! But easily solved. Can't speak for the ladies toilets for oblivious reasons. We could see the train tracks from our room, but never heard them day or night. In fact never heard any noise from anything.
Bar prices are good, compared to the 3 pubs near by.
Southwark tube station less than 5 mins walk away. Exit tube station cross the road and straight down to the right of the big office type building opposite to get there. 24 hour mini supermarket next to the Travelodge, very handy.
OVERALL, use the tube train to get anywhere you want to go. Feels a very safe area. The Travelodge great budget hotel.
If your rich, use the RITZ, if you not and want a base use SOUTHWARK TRAVELODGE.
I hope this helps, it is an honest and down to earth review.
It is now midnight and the bar is now filling up, with patrions coming back from the shows.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Sbould
Write a ReviewReviews (2,231)

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've stayed here 3 times in the last 6 weeks each time on business. The staff are brilliant, very friendly and very helpful. I've not encountered a queue at either check in or check out despite staying here during the school holidays. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The restaurant is good value for money and the food is very nice. The hotel is next to a railway line but I can hand on heart say that despite the fact that the trains run through the night I haven't been disturbed once.

The hotel is in easy walking distance of many of the London attractions. Just 20 mins to London Eye and there are loads of restaurants and pubs within less than 5 mins if you don't want to eat in the hotel.

The only thing that lets the hotel down is the current problem with the plumbing. During one stay I had to request to be moved because the noise coming from the shower (and next door's) was like sitting in a concert hall full of trombones! My most recent stay 2nd-4th September saw me having to turn the shower off half way through as otherwise the shower tray would have overflowed into the rest of the bathroom. Both these rooms were on one particular side of the building (nearest the railway line). There seems to be no issue with rooms in the centre of the hotel. Despite being within walking distnace of the office this problem will put me off staying again until the problem is sorted. Without this I'd have given five circles to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge London Central Southwark, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for your review Alison H. Whilst we are pleased to learn you have received a high level of service from our staff and found the rooms to be clean, it is regrettable that you have experienced maintenance issues and we are sorry to hear that. Your comments will be passed to our Hotel Management team so they are able to address these issues. We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel close to the metro Southwark (100 meters), nice breakfast although the room is small. Good idea not to pay for breakfast for children. Good dinner. The room (# 322) small but cozy, no closet. The low ceiling and small room make the atmosphere a little claustrophobic, I would have preferred that the window would open for a change of air. There is a small market open 24h 7 days a week near the Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were a group of 6 people, had 3 rooms and all our rooms were fine, clean, spacious, bed was really comfortable, furniture and decor looked basic but modern. I could see the trains arrive and depart but couldn't hear it at all, rooms were silent.

Receptionists were friendly and helpful, on our last day they kept hold of our luggage in a room so we could enjoy the day before coming to pick up our luggage.

The pub inside the hotel is very good, prices are reasonable and one day we left till too late to order food so we were allowed to order a pizza and eat at the restaurant.

Breakfast was OK, typical English breakfast, bacon and sausage could be better quality but I am a very fussy eater.

Location is amazing, really close to the center of London.

Only complain is that in 5 days stay nobody came to clean the room, just a basic towel change everyday nothing else, that's why I am giving 4 stars and not 5. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Luiza M
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It was great to be able to stay over night in London somewhere clean and friendly and affordable. Will definitely stay there again. only a 2 min walk (with kids!) from Jubilee line, but also only 10 mins walk from London eye etc. We had a great view of the shard from our room.
The buffet breakfast was great - its what you would expect from a buffet so unfair to compare it to a posh hotel cooking full English fresh, but it did exceed my expectations for the cost. A good way to start a long day of museums!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Three of us stayed in the Travelodge for one night when we first arrived in London. We were easily able to make our way from the Underground, just 3 blocks walk, and check in was easy and friendly even though it was pretty late. When we asked for a hair dryer we were asked if we needed more than one (a first) as well as being asked if we would need anything else. The guy at the desk was really pleasant. The room was big enough, clean, and met all our needs. The only thing I wish I had been told that there was free wifi in the bar (we found out by overhearing someone just as we were getting ready to check out). Other than that, it is in a good location for going to the Globe and other attractions and while breakfast is pricey, there's a cafe right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here in January and decided to come back in August so that we could see a play at The Globe Theatre (they don't do shows until the warmer months, for obvious reasons!). The refurbished rooms are pleasant enough, with good quality beds and decent covers and towels. One big bonus is a proper Air-con unit with remote control, rather than the usual built-in affair that doesn't always work well. The weather was very warm, but our room was a pleasant 19*C for our 4 days. Wardrobe space is very limited, and there are no drawers, so socks etc. stay in the case, and other stuff has to squeeze onto the hanger rack, but we manage well enough. One big gripe of my wifes' is the fact that the plug socket is never near to a mirror in Travelodges. This means having to remember to take an extension lead for her hairdryer/hair straighteners, or having to do her hair without a mirror! The other option is to have a 2 pin razor adapter and use the shower room socket. Breakfast was a bit crowded while we were there, with a 10-15 minute queue from 08:45 to 09:45 most mornings. We went down at 08:00 one morning and it was pleasantly quiet. Food at breakfast is always decent, and I really like the sausages, although they may be a bit spicy for some people. Back bacon is always fine, and fresh grilled tomatoes are always welcome. Entertainment is usually provided at breakfast time by some plonker who tries to toast a croissant, or other item not designed to fit into a conveyor toaster, and the staff are always pleasant and efficient at putting out the resulting fire before the hotel has to be evacuated due to a fire alarm going off! There is a sign on the toaster asking people to request the staff to heat the croissants, but I'm a driving instructor so I know how much people don't read the signs! Great location for the South Bank, Waterloo, Southwark and London Bridges all within 10-15 minutes walk, and Southwark tube station 1 minute away. If you want any advice on the tube, look out for Sinead at Southwark tube station. She's a thoroughly charming and helpful Irish girl who mans the barriers during the day when the ticket office is closed. She explained the Oyster Cards to us, and saved us a small fortune now and in the future. Thank's Sinead! Also read my review of the Windsor Castle bike trip with Mind The Gap Tours.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter usually. Ask for a room with a separate air con unit as not all may have t...