“Terrible service, overpriced”

Neighborhood: Pimlico
Lisbon, Portugal
“Terrible service, overpriced”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant after the waiter gave us a 5£ coupon. We tried to ask for an appetizer and a main course for the two of us, but they didn't let us chose for one main course only. The waiters served very badly and they were always forgetting things to put us, like forks and knives.

The service was very bad for the whole meal.

In the end, they did gave us the 5£ discount, but they added 5,15£ for VAT commission, they sad... This was all very sad because they were taking advantage of us. We paid a lot of money: 42£.We won't go there again and we recommend you not to, either.

• Visited December 2012

Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland
“Not a restaurant, jus a food kiosk”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We really made a mistake by choosing this "restaurant" after reading many good reviews on Toptable pages. We even booked it beforehand. The Internet photo looked rather good, additionally. However, although food was OK, the service was unprofessional (waiter forgot to put forks and knives on the table, took away the wine list before ordering, one of the menus did not contain all pages etc.). In short, this is no restaurant but a food kiosk with a couple of tables and chairs. The positive issue was, however, that afterwards we had a good laugh at what had happened

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank EiKaLa
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Bland food, indifferent service, very expensive”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Never has a name failed to live up to what it says on the tin!

I opted for a dish that the menu said was very spicy and not for those that couldn't handle really hot food (I normally eat very hot food anyway). When it did arrive, it was totally without heat or spice. Totally bland.

We also ordered two beers- one cobra, one kingfisher. Two cobras arrived and we were told that that was 'good enough'. Later on we did actually get a kingfisher - so it's not as though they weren't available!

Throughout the whole meal the staff seemed more focussed on watching the cricket on the TV with the volume cranked up so everyone had to listen to it,

When the bill finally arrived it was stupidly expensive. £61 for a basic curry for two people with a few beers. Total ripoff.

Save you'll some money and get a far better dining experience by going anywhere else !

• Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Widest menu I've seen lately”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We ate here with a group of friends recently, and were overall satisfied with the place. The restaurant itself was tiny, and somewhat stuffy. There is no disabled access and one shared toilet down some twisty stairs. I tend to look past that until I get the food -- I was most impressed with the extensive menu and how well items were described. WE had some in the party who weren't familiar with Indian food in general, and the descriptions were really accurate and very helpful in making a decision. The portions on mains were average, but the starters were really small (King prawn dish turned out to only have one prawn, and not an excessively large one). However I thought the presentation and taste of the rest of our meals was fabulous. Our servers were friendly, if somewhat confused. One of our party had a discount card, so we paid proportionately less for our meals as well - overall we were happy with the experience.

• Visited September 2012
Bonn, Germany
“Staff abused in front of me”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I visited Spicy World for a peaceful dinner alone on a slow Wednesday night. The meal began well enough with very attentive service and a delicious vegetarian meal. Unfortunately, the experience was completely ruined when the owner began to verbally abuse his staff in front of me. There had been a simple mistake with a beverage shipment; this error sent the owner over the edge. He was screaming at the delivery men and his own wait staff with such anger and fury, I felt sick to my stomach.

After the delivery was made, the waitress thanked the delivery man, apologized for her employer's behaviour and said, "I'll see you next time." The delivery man responded, "I hope not. I hate coming here." I don't think this is the first time he's seen the boss's rage.

Before I left, I confronted the owner and explained how disappointed I was with the experience. I told him it was disgusting to see the way he treats his staff and explained that I would be writing this review. He verbally apologized to me, but refused to apologize to the workers he abused. I left my 'peaceful night out' feeling shaky and sick.

• Visited August 2012