“Excellent value, and great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Victory Services Club
Ranked #8 of 895 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed here a couple of times now, and both visits have been excellent.

The location is good, around 5 minutes walk from Marble Arch tube station. On both occasions we have chosen to stay in the Centenary Wing which is the highest standard of rooms. Overall, the rooms are very clean, albeit slightly on the small side. The bathroom is modern, and the shower is always powerful. The beds are comfortable, although don't expect any duvets here, seeing as the club is for ex-military they are of the opinion we all love a blanket and counterpane. Don't worry, you won't need to make a bed box in the morning though!

One bit of advice I would give is to request a room overlooking the back of the hotel if you are a light sleeper. You will get the odd police car and such going by during the night, and can be a problem with the rooms on the road side. If a room with some sort of view is your thing, there isn't much inspiration out the back other than a few air conditioning units, as with most hotels.

The bar area is very nice, and surprisingly modern. The bar prices are also quite restrained for London, and chances are you will get some change from a fiver for 2 drinks.

If you like a good fry up, you will be pleased with the self-service breakfast, so you can stuff yourself to your hearts content before venturing out into London. Cereals, yoghurts, fruit etc are also in plentiful supply. If you get up too late for breakfast there is a Wetherspoons 50 yards away, so you can get squared away.

The Italian restaurant on the corner, underneath the club also did a good meal, although I forget it's name now, and there is also a Starbucks just over the road.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve_r123
There are newer reviews for Victory Services Club

Reviewed August 4, 2010

I only had a brief sojurn in the services, but it was still enough to qualify me for membership. I took it out after searching desperately for a hotel in London that wasn't going to let me down. We were in London for two days business, and a bit of shopping. The location is perfect for Oxford Street and Marble Arch Tube Station is in easy reach.

Reserving a room was easy, and checking in really friendly and efficient. The public rooms are clean and smart. We stayed in a Memorial Wing 3 bed family room with bathroom on the Edgeware Road. It is noisy, but tolerable. The room temperatures are far too high - turn the heating down and save a few bob. The bathroom was spotless, but dated, as was the room. It reminded me very much of eighties Officers Mess accommodation.

This is a big building, and I sense that they are working through it slowly refurbishing and upgrading. Value wise - £130 per room B&B in August, for 3 people, well you can't go wrong. You don't get ripped off in the restaurant or bar.

No, I was really pleased. I love 5 star hotels, but this was safe, clean, reliable and efficient. It is a great facility, and if you served at any time, or are still serving, make the most of it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fraggledweller
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Had not stayed in a 'Service' hotel before so was not sure what to expect. Firstly, the location was superb. Literally a 2-3 minute walk from Marble Arch Stn (signposted in and around stn). All major London attractions easily accessible from here. Once at the hotel you are greeted by the Concierge, which I did not expect! Warm and friendly greeting at check-in. I stayed in a single en-suite room in the Centenary Wing - these rooms have been recently re-furbished to an exceptionally high standard. Spacious bathroom, spotlessly clean, large shower (no knocking your elbows in here!). The room itself had a comfortable single bed, desk and chair, lounge chair, tea/coffee/bottled water/biscuits. An iron and board and hair dryer were provided. I couldn't fault this hotel, or my stay, and I am already planning my next trip to London and without question will be staying at VSC.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LauraWilson986
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I decided to stay at the VSC as it was a better location choice, for me, than the Union Jack Club. The hotel is situated very close to Marble Arch tube station and as such gives you easy access to Londons tourist attractions. The staff were all excellent, all were very helpful. I decided to stay in the Memorial Wing, a mid budget price, i think!The rooms are ok, if a little warm! Be advised to try and get one away from the very busy and noisy A5. I was using a shared shower room, which was fine for me. Basically, i just needed a place to rest my head for the night, that was cheap for central London. The food there is excellent. Fab value for money and no complaints at all. Breakfast is plentiful. Overall, a great place to stay but next time I would pay the extra to get a quieter room!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank scopie100
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed in a renovated room in new Centenary Wing and was impressed . Quite a nice area near Hyde Park-Marble Arch with easy transportation to nearby Regent Street shops and a short cab ride to Picadilly and Theatre areas. Excellent breakfasts and restaurant in the hotel. Professionally managed. Free internet. I am quite sure nothing in London can come close for the price. Will stay again next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2010

The Victory Services Club is definitely on the way up; massive amount of money spent on redevelopment has been money well spent. Hope they can renovate the rest of the old wing as soon as possible. I have been a member here for a few years now and this is now my West End stay of choice, so much so that I have allowed my Royal Air Force Club membership to lapse. A word of praise, too, for Brigadier Roy Lennox, the chief exec, and his staff. Truly excellent.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank GlostilIdie
Reviewed May 13, 2010

We stayed for seven nights in the Centennial Wing, one night close to Edgeware Road and all the sirens, and the remainder at the back of the building where is was very very quiet. I endorse the comments of others who have posted comments recently about service and cleanliness, also the fabulous breakfast.

Two quibbles - first, they push the point about the environment and have the usual challenge - towels on the floor are changed and towels hung up stay. However, every day we put our towels on the rails, ie hung up, but every day they were changed. Halfway through our stay, I took this up with the General Manager's office, but nothing changed.

The other quibble is that the lights in the bathroom go on automatically when you enter it. Hence, in the middle of the night when you want to go, you cannot sneak in there in the dark and not wake up properly whilst you do the necessary. What is more, the lights stay on for about five minutes after you vacate the small room. This is a great way to light up the bedroom in the middle of the night, but frustrating for one's loved one who did not really want to wake up. Great idea for saving power, but it would be more useful for the light to be on a switch ( to enter) but on a sensor for coming back out.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple