“Portuguese custard tarts!”

Ranked #4,651 of 23,697 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Absolutely love this place!...no frills cafe/deli with truly excellent produce its stand out feature. The seating is somewhat limited but the majority of customers appear to either be grabbing something on the go or stopping for a quick bite to eat or drink. The staff behind the counter were also really friendly and the coffee of a very good standard but if you go in you absolutely have to have a PORTUGUESE CUSTARD TART! They are amazing - that is all!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

What I mean by that is there are countless restaurants and butchers for that matter who claim to sell 'steak' but more often than not I'm left disappointed by a barely hung, tasteless, or chewy piece of beef not worth the aching jaw, good for only the protein.

How many times have I said in a restaurant or cafe, "I will treat myself to a slice of cake" (not out loud you understand, my fellow diners needn't have to hear me justifying my decision..).or "OK, yes, I'll have a small slice" only to drop my cake fork at the first taste of a dry, poorly textured gateaux. Its just not worth it.

Fernandez and Wells cakes however are worth as I have said every calorie. Laid out in front of you in all their glory, a very tough decision presents itself.

I shared slices of the Walnut and Yogurt cake and Lemon and Olive Oil tart. Beautifully moist inside, light texture and holding together with every fork plunge. Wonderful flavor combinations
complimented by excellent coffee.

The only draw back is this is a tiny little cafe and we were left waiting for a seat but having said that the clientele all seemed to be quite courteous and rotated in and out with little fuss.

I will certainly be going here again and to their larger eateries close by.

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Hole in the wall, tiny, first come first served, limited seating. Fresh, no super fresh sandwiches, home made. Pricy (5 pounds and more)., but you will know where you money went. Great ciabatta bread. Coffee is a bit watery, though.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

At heart of Soho (Somerset House) you'll find this compact bistro with Spanish aromas, actually many different food and drinks are mixed in here, ham, sausages, oil, preparations, coffees, etc... We stopped there just for a few minutes and we asked for some coffees and a milkshake for me which was delicious and refreshing, the conversation with the spanish people of the staff was so nice and kind that just for this I'd go there again. In fact, the way as you're treated, generally, in London by Brithish staff is dry,cold and not nice at all , but here was different and thank you for it. Spanish people, and I think Mediterranean people in general are used to getting treated in an open and nice way, attentive and talkative as is usual in our country. The price was ok for us , since we only ordered drinks. Till I could see, best choice for cakes is the 4pounds pieces much bigger than the little ones for a little more money. Just for saying something that could be improved, it was a bit stuffy inside there so they should improve the fumes extraction.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Small little place but offer very good coffee and cake selection, our favourite choice for coffee during work days