Kings Cross Inn Hotel
galahotels.com
$286
$276
  • Restaurant
All reviewsopposite kings crosseuston roadbusy roadnice bathroombudget hotelexcellent locationshort stayfamily roomdouble roomeurostar
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you want somewhere literally a minutes walk from Kings Cross Tube station, then, I guess...this is the right hotel for you (although there are other options in the vicinity!) But with this location comes a fairly hefty price tag. I paid £130 + you have to give a £50 'deposit' which apparently doesn't come out of your account but wonders around somewhere in cyberspace waiting to be scoffed up by the hoteliers if you haven't declared a mini-bar binge.
The room was small, but that's what you really expect from central London, with an ensuite and a moderately sized double bed with a few cupboards. On the topic of cupboard space, don't presume that you can hang your coat up in the wardrobe, the 'cloakroom' space is tiny, and probably wouldn't squeeze in a couples clothes for a romantic weekend; again, this could perhaps be overlooked considering it's location.

Unfortunately my room wasn't quite as clean as some of the other reviewers; once you get past the initial viewing of the room and start 'living' in it you'll notice the signs of wear and tear, haphazard bleach stains and such. Perhaps I was just unlucky? Who knows!

Breakfast & Customer Care:
Okay, so this is a bit of a big one for me, because part of the reason I chose this was the rave reviews of the breakfast. I'm not sure what hotels these other reviewers stayed at, because my breakfast was awful. It was completely self-service with bread (for toasting), ham, processed cheese (the sort that looks squidgy in plastic packets) and cornflakes. I'm a tea drinker, and I resent being left the same sachet that's in my room (PG Tips), that I'd tried to digest the night before with the infamous 'UHT Milk'. There were only five or six tables for the whole of the hotel, so people were left queuing for this breakfast. So, naturally, the staff were not-so-subtely trying to usher people out. I was on the table nearest the office (which the breakfast area is really a part of) and therefore could see their hand gestures and mutterings about guests not moving...which, being a contrary person, made me want to stay their longer. But, there's only so much toast you can have, and as I was buttering my last piece one of the customer 'assistants' sat down on the chair opposite me and started having a conversation with her colleague.
I heard one woman ask for hot milk, to which she was denied, because that clearly was too much trouble for the hotel with six tables to cover...

I wasn't best pleased when I left my room, so I decided to bring it up with the manager who...apparently...wasn't there. The gentleman at the desk gave a weak half-hearted apology whilst looking at me as if I were deluded.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My room was advertised as 'double for single occupancy' which was optimistic. True, there was a double bed, but not room for much else. On the plus side everywhere was newly refurbished and spotlessly clean and the location was only minutes away from St Pancras. Reception staff polite and helpful. I can't comment on the breakfast as I left too early to have it. No lift, which could be a problem for some people, although there were only a few steps to my room.

Good for an overnight stop near to St Pancras International.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

good location for kings cross tube etc left luggage in breakfast room were other guests could wander in ! breakfast room didnt inspire us to have breakfast there.Our room was on the third floor no lift room was very clean but then that wasnt hard as it was the smallest room ive ever slept in no room to sit and chill their was me my husband and our 13 year old daughter and our beds a double and a single pushed together with only just enough room to shuffle down to get into bed our cost was £145.00 no bad but will not be staying there again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Booked through booking.com and got a reasonably good price for a central location. 3mins walk to the tube station which is the main reason we chose the hotel. Very convenient to move around London. Speedy check-in but then realized there wasn't any lift ! Luckily we're on the first floor. The hallway looks tired but when we got to our room it was beyond our expectation. Clean with modern interior. Toilet was clean. Lots of channel on the flat screen. The lower floor might be a bit noisy but we were too tired to hear anything. Definitely better than the inn I stayed in London during my other trip. Breakfast was simple but the breakfast area was too small. Enough to start the day.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be better but will have to pack light.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Good Value, booked through Travelzoo, reasonable priced. Clean modern room, although could hear the trains. Did not manage to wake up in time for the breakfast, that was included in the price, finish time was easrly for a Sunday morning!!! Well situated for the underground and St Pancras, Eurostar.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family