“Very disappointing”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Unfortunately very disappointing. Poor atmosphere, service was cold, as was the food. The food isn't japanese- more a sort of poorly concocted far east asian fusion. The soup was so rich in msg it actually made our tables' heads spin. Extremely overpriced and not recommended at all.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Janisk914

“Can't describe without profanity”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had heard somewhat decent reviews about this restaurant and my family loves Japanese food. But with two small children it's hard to get out these days. But this place offers delivery, so that was encouraging. Two hours after making the order, our sushi, tempura, shashimi, gyoza and donburi arrived, the hot dishes nice and cold. Pretty diabolical for a restaurant only 6 minutes drive away. The food was not that great either, considering the cost of the meal. DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!!! Poor food, awful service, waste of money.

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank M C
“Not The Best!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had lunch there with my son and his girlfriend just the other day. Having read the other Reviews I too noticed a strange smell which I hope had nothing to do with the food. This place is more like a cafe than a restaurant. The entrance door was left open and it was pretty cold with a chill wind blowing. Had to close it myself. The staff were pretty non-descript almost surely.

When the food eventually arrived it was good and pretty inexpensive from a wide choice,. Cost £28.00 for 3 including drinks. Not sure I will rush back there soon. There are better restaurants in Ealing offering similar cusine

• Visited November 2012
“Rank...terrible service...tired....”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We took the kids a few weeks ago. We arrived around 12, the place looks shabby, it smells funny, service was from an unsmiling woman. We eventually ordered drinks and food, some sushi turned up with miso soup that was out of this world....I.e. it shouldnt have been in this world, and by 1, no mains had turned up.

Other customers were beginning to ask where their food was, my kids had completely lost the plot, we asked where the food was, Mrs Grumpy said it was nearly ready, but then it wasn't and my 3 year old fell over ( under the sunken table) so we paid up and ran for it to Carluccio's who put food on the table for the kids within about 7 minutes, so we slowly recovered a really stressful experience.

So, other then the rank miso and rank smell and bad service, I can't tell you about the food I'm afraid.

Please avoid!!!!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Melissa D
London, United Kingdom
“Has potential, though not as good as it previously was”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was happy when I first discovered this restaurant. They had a reasonable menu range and the restaurant setting was pleasant. I recommended it to my colleague - she too was pleased with their lunch time specials and started going there quite regularly.

It has been a bit of a let down of late. It reeked of fish one visit (it never used to). Most of the staff are generally quite friendly, but one waitress was quite gruff and impatient, especially when she snatched my colleague's umbrella as she 'helped' her stand it in the corner.

We ordered some chicken and one skewer was pink and chewy. I understand that the chef is only human and makes mistakes - however the skewer was taken away from us and we had no further information on what was happening - were we getting a replacement skewer? Were they just going to take it off the bill? We asked later on after waiting for some time, at which point the waitress started yelling at the guys in the kitchen - everyone in the restaurant could hear this. Apparently another skewer was coming, but in the end it took so long we had to return to work. They accept Taste Card, which did help a little (as I think we ended up paying for the chicken skewers anyway).

Even the colleague who had been ordering take away lunch from them remarked that their portions were inconsistent and after looking forward to her meal she sometimes found she was getting disappointingly small pieces of teriyaki salmon.

I love Japanese food and I hope these guys pick up a bit. The staff are generally friendly and the place has potential. Just a bit more patience and approachability from one waitress, along with a bit more care and attention by the restaurant to eradicating any unpleasant smells and keeping portion sizes consistent/reasonable would make a difference.

To be fair, when they're properly cooked, their yakitori skewers are quite nice and my colleagues have been happy to dine there on previous visits. Maybe it was just an off day, but some consistency would keep their customers happier.

• Visited September 2012