“A home away from home ... just perfect!”
Review of So Sienna

So Sienna
Ranked #571 of 895 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 25, 2012

SO Sienna Apartments is 5 mins walk from Hammersmith tube/rail station giving easy access to all of London.

The corner property has a front garden that is very picturesque it has a fountain and Greek style stone seating which is all lit up at night, nice place to sit with a glass of wine on a summers eve.

There were 3 couples in front of me when I got to the door and I had a bit of a wait, the reception is on your right as you go through the large black front door, blink and you'll miss it.

I checked in rather quickly once the queue had gone down and the very polite member of staff offered to carry my bag as the studio apartment was on the third floor and I didn't see a lift however there are lots of apartments of different sizes so ask for a ground floor one if needed.

The male staff member showed me to the apartment and gave me a tour of the room, as I was travelling alone I thought this a little unnecessary although he was very polite and gave me the pass-code for the fast and secure FREE WIFI included which is a bonus as nost hotels rip you off a bit on WIFI.

The room had just about everything in it. Kitchenette was well stocked with utensils, milk, tea & coffee, toiletries and towels were provided and the room was spotless with microwave/cooker hob & fridge with icebox. Toaster, kitchen utensils, glasses plates etc, ironing board, iron, hair dryer & mini vacuum all in room. Velus window with blind that I was able to open fairly wide to let the fresh air in too. Bathroom also spotless and shower was of higher standard than the usual hotel ones.

A very soft bed with crisp clean sheets, two bedside lamps and decorative cushions, even small circular mirrors on the wall this was a studio apartment, number 3810 a home away from home for the night.

It's 10 mins walk to the Thames. Excellent service all round I will definitely stay again.

Any negatives? No, only one little thing and it's minor, I couldn't get the news channel to work as the freeview signal was too low. Being as I am obsessed with watching the news I was happy to watch it on my laptop and with the fast broadband it saved the day. All other TV stations were fine :-)

Will definitely stay there again even if visiting other areas of London. I pad £109 for the night via laterooms, well worth the money and highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for So Sienna

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Use this hotel for overseas members of staff, they are always happy to help, especially Kelum
Tidy, clean great links to most underground train lines (2mins walk to Hammersmith tube station, and main bus station)
Would recommend this hotel to single travellers as well as families

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank atreides1
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed five days in the apartment. It was clean and more than adequate. It provided us with exactly what we needed during our stay in London. It offered a great base, the location is close to the London Tube and buses stop nearly outside the front door. The staff were exceptionally polite and helpful. This is a solid, good value for money apartment for those with a family or who wish to be slightly more independent than hotel living and who wish to sightsee in London. We would recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cynthea W
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have recently moved to the UK. I needed a place that was better than a hotel for short term stay. I booked a months worth of time there. We chose this place due to the location, Hammersmith is a good location to get around the South West part of London, and is only 20 minutes to central London by Tube (which is not a lot if you know London at all). It is not downtown, but in London, you don't need/want to be downtown.

The staff were friendly, they gave us anything we needed. When we arrived early morning to check in as weary travellers, the room was not ready (we were about 5 hours early), so they put us into another room just to sleep for a few hours, which I thought was very kind.

I'm currently having a billing issue, which is the only thing keeping this from a 5/5 rating. I assume that will be cleared up soon.

Room Tip: We were in 4007. It was a 1 bedroom Apartment.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Out of the 140 hotels that I have reviewed so far on Trip Advisor, this is only the third time I have given a 1 star rating. This place doesn’t live up to even the most basic of the standards claimed on its website.

“Come and indulge yourself in the pure comfort of living at home away from home at SO and enjoy the life of the Metropolitan City.” Sounds good doesn’t it?

The front of the building looks very nice. There’s a nice seating area in the front garden, which, although, it overlooks a road and a multi-storey car park, was clean and pleasant. And there was free WiFi internet. A good start.

Unfortunately, everything unravelled from then on. We had booked a two-week stay in a standard one-bedroom apartment and were shown to Flat 3. This was probably quite nice … a long time ago. Unfortunately, when it was refurbished, the cheapest materials and labour were obviously used and these cannot withstand the wear and tear produced by a large throughput of people.

First, the place was dirty. There was rubbish under the kitchen cupboards, the radiators where covered in brown marks and the most revoltingly stained sofabed sat in the living room/kitchen. There was black mould growing in one of the showers (there are two bathrooms) and at some point someone had made an effort to get rid of it … by trying to grout over it!

Only one of the three overhead lights in the main bedroom was working and the main light in one bathroom had also blown. These problems were fixed the following morning, after I had informed the lady on reception.

All the window surrounds were cracked, with big gaping holes. The kettle was operated using the remains of the on/off switch (which had been broken off at some point), the toaster only toasted one side of the bread and the shower holder in the second bathroom was broken so that the shower head could not be hung on the wall. There was a black soot mark coming out of the top of one plug socket in the bedroom (which looks like a fire hazard to me).

Either side of the rather uncomfortable and low bed were two side stand/drawers, each with a blue glass lamp. The drawer on the left-hand side of the bed could not be opened because the bed was in the way and the lamp on top of it had a big chunk missing out of it, leaving a sharp edge. There was also nowhere to plug this lamp in, since the sockets were on the other side of the room.

The wallpaper in the bedroom was bubbling and starting to peel.

I don’t know who thought out the light switches, but these were generally placed behind the doors that you opened to get into the rooms!

The TV was very small and could only be watched comfortably by sitting at the kitchen table. It was not a Sky system (but something called Technomate). It could get a range of channels but not Channel Five.

Despite there being two of use, we could only have one set of keys. We were told that this was for ‘security reasons’. Somewhat odd then, if security is such a high priority, that on Sunday 4th March at 12:45 I walked in through the main door to find the office door open and no-one inside, but with all the keys to the various flats out on the desk … including the one to our flat.

The washing machine door opener consisted of a piece of twisted wire and a bit of plastic. When we tried to use the washing machine, it didn’t work. We pointed this out to the person who came to replace the toaster, who said “Oh yes, that doesn’t work. I know.” If I book somewhere for two weeks with a washing machine in it, I need it to work. It is simply not acceptable to rent out an apartment in this state. It has to be said though, that they did offer to do our washing for us. Given the state of the place, we declined.

The final straw came on our third morning when there was no hot water. Both of us had to be in Central London for business and I had an early business breakfast. So at 6:30 am I travelled 2 miles to get to a gym in Chiswick to get a hot shower.

I phoned the booking agents and told them that I was going to find somewhere else and would like a refund. The hotel then offered to transfer us into one of their executive/luxury one-bedroom apartments. We accepted this.

Apartment 3808 was a lot better. The washing machine worked, the kettle wasn’t broken, the TV was bigger and could be swivelled (although it still could not receive Channel Five) and there was hot water … to begin with.

However, yet again, the furnishings and general standard of décor were not up to the job of a high-throughput rental apartment. The dining chairs were covered in peeling plastic and the floor tiles in the bathroom and kitchenette were not stuck to the floor; they just wobbled with the result that many were cracked. The cupboard door in the bathroom hung at a jaunty angle.

There were only two of the four bulbs in the uplighters in the living room that worked. By the end of our stay this was down to one. I asked for them to be replaced but this wasn’t done.

The heated towels rails in the bathrooms are not plumbed in. Or if they are plumbed in, I can’t see how. Nevertheless, they do not work. Likewise, there is a shave socket in both bathrooms, neither of which work.

I notice in reading some of the earlier reviews, people complained about the lack of air conditioning. Well, they have made an attempt to remedy this. However, in typical style, rather than installing proper air conditioning, someone has gone out and bought a mobile air conditioning unit and then drilled a large hole right the way through the bedroom wall to the outside, into which the waste hot air pipe sort of fits!

After three days in this apartment, we awoke on a Sunday morning to find that there was no water. Not just no hot water but no water at all. So, for me, this involved another 2 mile trip to a gym to get a shower so that I could go to church. 3 hours later and with umpteen visits from various maintenance people, the problem was fixed.

Think very carefully about what you are expecting if you book this place. I shall certainly not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mark121
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This is a great Hotel, clean & Comfitable, Best two nights sleep i've had in a Hotel, I'd also like to thank the friendly staff for an easy & trouble free check in.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2012

spend wonderful anniversary/valentines day weekend in so sienna.
great location and easy to get anywhere.affordable. rooms are big and well equipped. big beds,everything nice and sparkly clean.
friendly and professional staff. will deffinitely recomend and stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Best Western Plus Seraphine Hammersmith Hotel
LUMA Concept Hotel Hammersmith London
Adria Hotel
Adria Hotel
#259 of 1,072 in London
Holiday Inn Express London - Hammersmith
Lamington - Hammersmith Serviced Apartments

Been to So Sienna? Share your experiences!