Earls Court Studios
  • Free Internet
Boka Hotel(London)
Sara Hotel(London)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswarwick roadtube stationwashing liquidgreat kitchencooking facilitiesthese apartmentsstay there againroad noiseminute walkby london standardsno liftsmall roommicrowavetescotowelstvworkable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Being vegan, it's tough to find places that cater to my dietary needs. For the past several years, we have specifically searched for places to stay that offer self catering kitchens so we wouldn't have to be on the constant hunt for acceptable food. Sometimes a bag of chips and a soda just doesn't cut it. We tend to get very grouchy when we are hungry :(

Earls Court Studios was a really great find! Average price was £60 per night (less the longer you stay-we were there for a whole week)-for London this is definitely a bargain (hard to find even just a simple room for that price). Yes it was small, but we expected that, as most accommodations in Europe are small. It had all the very basic needs a person could want-a fairly well equipped kitchen (full stove with 4 burners AND an oven, a mini fridge, pots, pans, glassware, plates, cups, bowls, silverware, basic cutlery, etc. However, there weren't any baking dishes in our studio, so plan accordingly. You can buy disposable aluminum ones at the quickie mart down the street), a bedroom, a bathroom, and storage space.

OK so the bedroom & kitchen were the same room, but I wasn't complaining. It was just a home base where we could eat, sleep & store our stuff. Having a kitchen was a great bonus, because I could save money by eating at "home" rather than eating out . London specifically is familiar with vegetarianism, but they still have a lot to learn about veganism. They really had no clue. Generally, the UK isn't exactly known for it's great cooking skills, vegetarian, vegan or otherwise. It's just easier to do it myself.

The bed was comfortable and we had a wardrobe and drawers to store our clothes & other stuff in. We had a nice big window that looks into the yard and the backside of the Earl's Court Exhibition Centre. Check in time was 2 pm, but they let us check in earlier. When you book online, they charge the first night and then you can pay the rest when you get there or when you check out.We just decided to pay when we got there-that way we wouldn't have to worry about tracking down the guy to pay him at the end (he was sporadically there during our stay). When we left, we just slid the key under the door (the space is plenty big enough if no one is there)

It is REALLY close to the Earl's Court Tube station (Warwick Road side)-only half a block. Go to the corner and cross the street, go down to the 2nd building on the right and you are there. VERY convenient! Especially if you are attending something at the Exhibition Centre (just note, you'll have to walk around to the front entrance , about 1 block, unless you have special clearance to go in through the back, which is closest to the Studios).

The walls there are kinda thin, so you can hear what's going on in other rooms nearby, but we never really had many issues with it. I can't sleep if it is dead silent, so it was fine. You can come & go as you please and if you are staying awhile and need to do laundry, there is a laundromat about 2 blocks away.

There is no Wi-Fi at the moment, but you can go to the Troubador restaurant and they have a hotspot (free 30 minute internet session with purchase-we got 2-half hour sessions, since there were 2 of us). It would have ben nicer to have Wi-Fi in the room, but you take whatever you can get when it is such a good price and is in a decent neighborhood and basically has everything else we wanted.

There are several grocery stores within walking distance, though very few are open 24 hours (there are a few all night convenience stores however). Tesco's nearby CLAIMS to be open 24 hours, but they lie. They are only open from 8 am Monday morning through Saturday night at 10 pm and from 11 am-5 pm on Sundays, so if you have any late night cravings or needs, you are limited to the quickie marts.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank road2cairo
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This Hotel is in an excellent location, we really couldn't have asked for anything better.

We stayed in the triple room and there were a few wear and tear issues, not many though, the shower is really, really tiny so if you are a larger person you may not fit, also the water spurts out all over the floor which is no big deal really and the button for the toilet was broken which I found out from a few other travellers staying there that their buttons for the toilets were broken also which made it very hard to flush the toilet. These are really minor and definitely recommend this hotel to other people.

It is really close to the train station, pubs, restaurants etc.

The hotel manager wasn't an overly friendly person and there is some maintenance happening right outside the triple room at the moment so before booking perhaps check that that has finished because we were woken up quite early by the maintenance guys being directly outside the room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I stayed at this place for about two weeks, in the single studio flat.

The good:
The room was reasonably clean for the most part and pleasantly designed.
It was well equipped in terms of having a refrigerator, an oven with stove top, a microwave, an electric kettle and a TV.
The location was excellent, right across from the tube (underground) station on the district and piccadilly lines which meant easy access to everywhere I needed in London, and despite this location there was little train noise and overall the room was quiet.
There are a few grocery stores around, including one that is open extended hours, which means that you can save money buy cooking your own breakfast and dinner.

The bad:

The shower was tiny and poorly designed (difficult to open the door all the way), and had some mildew staining in the corners that made it unpleasant for someone who likes real cleanliness to use. I understand this problem is typical for the UK because of the humidity, but if the shower was regularly scrubbed with bleach this would not happen.

The single room is an attic room, which meant the windows were skylights which could only be opened when I was in the room as otherwise there was a chance that it would rain all over the bed. This meant that the room was stuffy and smelled a little dusty and moldy. This was made a bit worse by the fact that while overall the room was very clean, no-one had run a brush on the wooden beams for a while and they were very very dusty.

You do not get towels from the owners. You have to rent them. I knew this in advance and brought one with me, but that's a bit annoying. In fact, other than check-in the only service you get is the occasional removal of garbage and bringing of new toilet paper.

There was no internet access or phone in the room, a fact which is irritating for someone who is staying in London for a significant amount of time.

Overall:
Considering the prices in London, this is pretty good value for money for students or travelers on a bit of a budget who still want a private bathroom and not a shared dorm-room. The room was overall quite clean (unless you're a real stickler like me), the location was good and the overall experience was quite pleasant.

A little more attention to cleanliness and the addition of basic communication services would make this my preferred location to stay in London. As it is, it's definitely not a bad option.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 30, 2008

First the good: This property is very well-located. It is mere steps from the Earls Court tube station (Warwick Rd exit) and very close to a Fuller's pub (among a few other pubs), a Marks & Spencer Simply Food shop, and lots of restaurants and shops. The area is fairly quiet and pretty safe.

The room we had was basic, but adequate. There was a good-sized cupboard for our belongings, and the TV and kitchen appliances were all in good working order.

Now the not-so-good: Reception is almost non-existent. There is a (usually) closed door at the top of the steps when you come in marked "Reception" with a phone number. I think I was just lucky to catch someone at the right time to check in. However, the young man didn't have my reservation on file and didn't give me any information whatsoever about amenities, housekeeping, check-out, etc. I couldn't even find anyone to check out at the end of our stay. After ringing the reception number repeatedly to no avail, I had to slip the keys under the reception door.

The site I booked through said Earls Court Studios has daily housekeeping, but I can assure you that no one ever visited our room for cleaning.

I could barely move once in the shower, and both it and the sink leaked. Our toilet was also broken, though we were able to catch the reception-boy and he sort of fixed it.

Present, attentive reception would go a long way to improve the Studios. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check the kitchen supplies. (We only had one mug.) For the price and location, though, it's a good place for the budget-minded, not-too-picky traveler.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2008

We stayed at Earls Court Studio in Oct 07. It offers many self contained apartment style accom. We are of a family of five and needed a kitchen, washing machine and space for 5.The place was a real rabbit warren. Our room was basically below street level and we had a single window in the ceiling. It had 5 single beds that were pretty lumpy (at least the one I had was awful). Not overly clean but the bathroom was OK. The kitchen facilities were fairly limited and I managed to set off the fire alarm as soon as I started cooking.

The guy who was managing the place provided us with as little info as possible. We had to really quiz him for help on local info. He was young possibly a student & was doing the bare basics.

There was no washing machine & when I asked about it I was directed to an industrial style machine & dryer that they use for the linen. Well I managed to fit heaps in but it took forever to dry. It was really expensive.

Surprisingly it was quiet, couldn't hear much from other people staying or from the road.

Overall it was cheap, the area was safe and very conveniently located which were our main interests.It is really close to the Earls Court train station. Also if you need to get to Heathrow its quite easy b/c Earls Court is on the same line.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family