“Does what it says on the tin” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Earls Court Studios
Ranked #116 of 828 Specialty Lodging in London
Fife
“Does what it says on the tin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I always use trip advisor to pick my accommodation, so it would be wrong of me not to help others. I am a girl of 21 who stayed here for six nights and Earls Court Studios do exactly what they are supposed to - provide a place to sleep, eat if you like, and keep you pretty anonymous in a city that's exactly that. Check in was quick and easy - after climbing narrow and somtimes uneven stairs (definitely not suitable for those who physically impaired), and I was allowed to check in a couple of hours early which was very helpful. I was also given an upgrade from a single room to a double, most probably because of the extensive refurbishment work that seemed to be going on (this was never a problem for noise, cleanliness, etc). The room itself was fine - good kitchen facilities with microwave, electric hob and oven, fridge with small freezer compartment. Bathroom was quite small and could have done with a bit more of a clean, but it was OK, although at five foot I was fine, I'm not sure how a guy of six foot would have found it. The bed was more comfortable than I thought, and there was adequate storage in the form of a wardrobe and set of three drawers. The studios are just off a main road which carries a lot of traffic at rush hour and night time, and if you get a forward facing room like mines was, be prepared to take ear plugs as the windows are quite old and thin.

Good - excellent location, literally 30 secs from the back entrance of Earls Court tube station, free wifi for guests which had a good connection (could watch 4od, iPlayer, etc), lovely flat screen LG tv.

Bad - you are given a key for your room, not a keycard like most hotels, and it fits the front door and your room, which I found strange. Also, the locks on the room doors are akin to a lock you would find in a bathroom - just turn and lock - I didn't find this very secure. The floor in my room dipped in the middle, which was a tad un-nerving, and made the wardrobe wobble when you walked. Like I said, it's all stairs and they can be quite narrow and uneven so you've got to be fit and healthy to stay here.

As the title suggests, there's nothing hidden or special about this place, but that doesn't make it bad. It was by far the cheapest form of accommodation I found for six nights in a central location in London, and I was quite happy. And as I said, there was extensive refurbishment work going on, so I'm sure it'll be great all done up.

Room Tip: If you want some quite, ask for a room toward the back of the property.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MissLoCo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
Syracuse, Utah, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

My husband and I booked this room for a two night stay. We were disappointed for several reasons. The room was not very comfortable. It had been remodeled, but poorly done. The floors were sloped and many projects looked unfinished. The toilet was in need of a very good cleaning and looked like it had never been done thoroughly. Also, the bed was very uncomfortable, worst night sleep that we had during our vacation. On the positive side of things, it was in a great location close to the station.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Brisbane Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stayed 6 nights April 2014, fantastic location close to everything. Older building but isn't everything in that area? Clean practical unit with everything you need. Both Damir and Svetlana are happy to help with anything you might need.

Could not fault the facilities and major renovations are being undertaken throught the building (although there is no building noise). For the price you cannot fault this property.

Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Earl's Court Studios is close to the Tube Station and the neighborhood is fairly quiet. The down side for us was the room, a double studio, that was way smaller in scale than seen in the photo. The bathroom, for example, could have used some repairs. There also was mold in the bathroom and it smelled like mildew. The whole building seems to need repair.

The owners do not stay in the building at night and I had to attempt to take care of a neighbor's noise issue in the room next to us - Loud TV - by myself at 1:00 in the morning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife, teenage son and I stayed at the Earls Court Studios for two weeks in late Feb and early March. Coming to London for the first time from Australia we were not sure what to expect ... especially after we had done the rounds in Madrid, Barcelona and Paris before gettng to London. But I am happy to say that the accommodation and the service that Damir and Svetlana offered was nothing short of fantastic. Great value for money! Close proximity to the London tube and restaurants and pubs.
The studio offered to us for three people was spacious, extremely clean and well decked out with fridge, microwave, TV, toaster, kettle, etc. My son had bed space practically in another room to my bed (i.e. divided by a wall).The ensuite was clean and in very good condition and Damir and Sveltana changed towels every second day, emptied the rubbish bins everyday and always asked us if everything was OK and if we needed anything. Security to the building was terrific with a lockable external door and your own locked apartment.
In speaking with Damir he mentioned a couple of times that renovations are continuing and I saw evidence of this with a number of new beds being delivered. As we stayed in the upper studio Damir helped us with carrying suitcases up and down the staircase. On the day we were to return home, Damir held securely held our luggage as our plane did not leave until the late hours. This meant we were still able to spend the day touring without the luggage. I would definately recommend this studio as we found it a more than a pleasant, safe stay, with great hosts.

The only downside was the early morning noise of the traffic.

Room Tip: If in advanced age, if possible, not right up the top of the stairs ... but you got used to the stai...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I'm writing this review on behalf of my Dad. My parents stayed here for a month while visiting over Christmas and they couldn't have been happier with their choice.

'My wife and I stayed here for 4 weeks in December 2011. Superb location 1 minute from Earls Court tube (Warwick Rd). Room was large with all the facilities including free WiFi. The managers Damir and Svetlana were very friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned regularly and new towels and bed linen changed. Thoroughly recommended.'

Room Tip: Ask for a non-basement flat if you can handle the stairs as they seem to be much quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

3 of us stayed at Earls Court Studio for 3 nights after reading all the positive feedback from Trip Advisor. The new owner just took over the place for a week before our stay. The apartment is extremely near to the Earls Court Station - 2 minutes walk. We stayed at the triple room which is at the basement. The room is spacious equiped with kitchen equipments but we only got to use the fridge. Everything works perfectly fine. Bed is simple and clean. We were pleased with Damir's help over our luggage. He is such a nice and friendly guy. Tesco is 10 minutes walk from there, there are a few nearby shops and eateries.The room rate is affordable if you prefer to stay in a quiet place which is free from crowded tourists. Damir told us that they are going to renovate the place soon and I would recommend people to stay there!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family