“One of my favourite restaurants in London”
Review of Cape Town Fish Market - CLOSED

Cape Town Fish Market
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: The Cape Town Fish Market, with chic and informal surroundings, brings a taste of South Africa and fresh seafood to its customers.
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I love love love this place and have eaten here on numerous occasions since first discovering it. The staff are all so helpful with the menu and make great recommendations and the food is really tasty and well worth the money. I used to love the baby squid with robata sauce but they took it off the menu a while ago. Bring it back! My new favourites are the butterfly prawns and the lobster although if you're going as a couple, I'd recommend ordering the Hout Bay Platter - you won't be disappointed.

I've tried the sushi and it is good although I do prefer their seafood menu so I don't often order it. They do have a nice little section of the restaurant with a sushi conveyor belt and bar (like Yo Sushi) which looks like fun if you're into gimmicky dining.

Each time I go, I use a Taste Card which offers really good savings and I'd recommend other diners who go during the week to do the same. We actually ordered off the Taste Card selection by accident but the waiter very kindly still applied the discount for us as it was a genuine mistake. Really great staff!

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Would defiantly recommend the "hout bay platte" (seafood platter) included a whole lobster, mussels, squid, king prawns, fish fillets, fish cakes and chips, it was delicious!!!

The service was also great, we were served by Corita who was very warm and friendly!! :)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The name sounded great the place looked inviting and Laura whilst mentoring a new waiter was delightfully pleasant and most attentive feeling relaxed I finally decided on mussels cooked in garlic cream and wine hmm not the greatest and a little disappointed chef didn't take the time to remove the closed up mussels on the plate before its delivery to me. Okay, one little mistake can be overlooked time for the fish pie Ohhhh what a disaster one would say overcooked fish only if you can find it in a bland sauce. Now don't ask me why I decided to explore exactly what fish was in there having eaten a small piece of overcooked salmon and a king prawn that looked and tasted more like a dried shrimp all I could find was another piece of the same overcooked salmon and two more prawns or was it shrimp. The only thing that pleased was attentive Laura trying to save my dining experience so I thought safe bet the fish and chips that my colleague was toying with thankfully I dont mind skin on my fish but not everyones taste. The fish taste was marred by the horrible tasting oil that infused the batter and the accompanying chips served with it. All in front of house great service chefs hmmm go find another job what a waste to a potentially good restaurant

Reviewed June 21, 2014

As the fish choice was very poor we both opted for the surf and turf which was a sirloin steak with prawns, salt and pepper squid. The steaks were very poor and looked as if they had been cooked at a low temperature as they had no colour, the squid had no flavour and was very greasy, the prawns were watery. We booked with a Taste card which gives 2 4 1 however even though the waitress had said they had applied it they hadn't and I wasn't about to get in to an argument.
This is the first bad review I have ever given but in fairness this restaurant warrants one, there are so many good restaurants in London I would avoid this one

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

While not spectacular, the food tasted fresh and well cooked.

The service was indeed spectacular though. The staff paid us a lot of attention, and were attentive to the point of almost being intrusive! Also, they agreed to change my mother's order at no extra cost when she found her 1st order too salty.

The brilliant service was definitely the highlight of our dinner.

2  Thank canxiangh