“Afternoon tea”

Ranked #2,256 of 28,989 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Located in the very heart of fashionable Park Lane, in the heart of London, Podium Restaurant and Bar offers great food and drink in a stylish and relaxed atmosphere throughout the day. Podium is perfect for a quick coffee, business lunch or dinner and an afternoon tea.Have you tried our Chocolate Afternoon Tea? ‘Confessions of a Chocoholic’ is any chocolate lovers delight. Indulge in pure heaven everyday with our delicious tempting treats, from freshly baked scones to miniature chocolate fancies.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Giannis served us very well and taught us how to enjoy the afternoon tea. This is our first time visiting London and also our first time at Podium. It was very nice and an enjoyable experience. Thank you Giannis.

Date of visit: January 2020
Hilton_ParkLane, Other at Podium Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Jessica,

Thank you so much for visiting us and taking the time to review us.

I am so pleased to read about your excellent afternoon tea experience.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Podium Management

Write a reviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently was treated to 'Afternoon tea for two' at the Podium Restaurant & Bar, Hilton hotel for my Birthday and I can't imagine anything better than spending an afternoon in beautiful surroundings eating Tea & Cake! Unfortunately this experience wasn't great and downright awful for a Hilton Hotel!
We arrived a couple of minutes early and our table was ready but we were asked by front of house if we wouldn't mind waiting at the bar for fear of upsetting another couple that were waiting to be seated which was absurd.
To our dismay the restaurant was based on the ground floor so don't expect a stunning view overlooking Hyde Park. On first impression the restaurant looked pleasant with a contemporary yet inviting decor. On closer inspection however one side of the restaurant backs up onto an ugly car park only a few meters away. I was astonished why this view wasn't hidden with an exterior trellis of flowers from customers.

As we were seated I noticed the seating area/table setting allocated for the tea & cake looked more suited for a 3* hotel and cheaper than that of the main restaurant.
I felt a little disappointed but nevertheless still eager for the cake & sandwiches. The sandwiches arrived all of which were neatly presented. The 'texture & taste of the supposed brioche' rolls however were similar to the mass produced rolls you would find on a plane and the fillings were all generally very underwhelming. The only triumphant winner was the smoked salmon served in a croissant dough. The dough was still warm and tasted great.
When the desserts arrived I was a little taken back by the striking colours especially the mango parfait which was strangely a bright green (not an exotic orange one would expect) I appreciated the time and effort taken over the pastries but the majority were mouthfuls of flavoured gelatine! Fortunately, the scones though a little dry and overly crumbly were still warm and delicious along with the jam & clotted cream.

The sandwiches and cakes combined were plentiful and more than what any couple could digest in one seating and as our stomachs were bloated from cheap rolls we requested to have the additional pastries to go and the waiter was happy to oblige and kindly boxed them up for us.
Unfortunately the 'Exotic tarts' aside all the pasties- raspberry savarin, blood orange milk chocolate pillow, pistachio sponge with Jasmine jelly dulcey parfai, mango parfait and aquafaba macaron, and hazelnut brownie with azelia ganache all ended up binned!! All were tried but none were suitable for consumption.

I'd just like to reiterate that I'm really not hard to please when it comes to sandwiches/pastries and still find great pleasure in eating the modest 'cucumber sandwich' but this was a poor spread and I felt slightly insulted being served such delicately created mouthfuls of nothingness.
Had we not paid in advance I would have sent it back and made a complaint hence my now rant.

If you would like to enjoy a soft of tea & cake in lavish surroundings with excellent service then I would however suggest opting for the 'Park Lane Hotel' instead.

1  Thank MissLadyLai
Reviewed January 11, 2020

We had high expectations given the pastry chefs were Bake Off the Professionals 2028 winners. Sadly we didn’t enjoy any of the patisseries. They were dry, the one with a mango jelly was a solid gelatin with not much mango flavour, the macaron ... let’s just say we’ve had better. A lot of chocolate ganache based patisseries but nothing refreshing to taste. Would be nice to have a included some cakes with a nice light sponge. Another thing we noticed was that whilst sandwiches were served individually, pastries were only one each between two people despite charging per head for the afternoon tea.

The scones were light and fluffy. Salted caramel with the scones wasn’t really a good pairing with scones.

Sandwiches were open but good. Though unlike other places, seconds were not offered though we did ask for a plate later.

Tea selection was ok. Disappointingly when we asked for another pot of tea, rather than bringing a
pot with fresh tea leaves and hot water, they just added hot water so we had weak and tasteless tea.

Children’s tea was ok. Though rather than all the chocolate mousse in everything it would be nice if they just had something not too fussy that children would enjoy.

Other than that, the restaurant had a nice ambience. Service was good, staff polite. Would be nice if they
just put some more thought to their patisseries. As a courtesy offered additional sandwiches. Improved tea selection and made a fresh pot of tea when tea requested again.

Dear BSP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We are so sorry to read that you had an unsatisfactory experience and that you were disappointed with the quality of the food.

We would like to investigate this thoroughly so we can make things right; if you are able to email us on info@podiumrestaurant.com with the date and time of your visit and the name of the booking.

Please be assured your feedback is very important to us and your comments will be forwarded to the relevant teams for their review and consideration. We hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back and Make It Right.

Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

I had high expectations when I came here for afternoon tea, given the price and that the chefs had been on professional bake off. As someone that has been to a lot of afternoon teas across London, this is one of the most disappointing I've been to. Sandwiches were bland and on the cucumber on the bread was stale. Some of my group asked for some more and were met with reluctance from the staff who then took 20 mins to bring out a handful of sandwiches. The scones and pastries were nice, however some were style over substance. Two of my party were vegans and their desserts were glorified fruit salads, I felt more effort could go into these. Service was slow and the staff seemed inconvenienced by us being there. We waited a very long time after finishing for the bill and had to ask three times. Overall it took almost an hour, certainly not deserving of the 12.5% service charge they slapped on the end!

1  Thank elggib

Dear Elggib,

Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

I had afternoon tea here at Podium. They were very accommodating with dietary requirements of some of the members of my group who were vegans etc. The sandwiches were okay and some of the cakes were quite nice however for £50 it was pretty sparse and the waiter was reluctant to bring any more out. The tea selection was pretty good however I was left very disappointed when I asked for a refill I was brought the same pot with the same leaves so it was far weaker than the first potful. The service was generally sub-par for a restaurant of Podium’s standing, the waiter was only nice when I was ordering something (read spending money) otherwise he seemed dis-interested. Finally we sat for about 45 minutes after the table was cleared before I had to get up to ask for the bill. The waiter said he would bring it in a minute and then stood there chatting to a colleague for 5 minutes, cleaned a few tables whilst deliberately avoiding my gaze before finally bringing it over. I wouldn’t go again.

Date of visit: December 2019