“A sentimental journey that did not disappoint”
Review of Il Giardino

Il Giardino
Ranked #13,061 of 23,866 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are open 7 days a week. From 6 pm till 11 pm during winter period. We are located just 1 minute away from the Peckham Rye Station.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I have just visited Il Giardino having not been there for 20 years or so. We used to go there almost weekly and loved it but then moved north. I looked on TripAdvisor and saw that there were great reviews for this little restaurant however visiting somewhere that was so special all those years ago can be a dangerous thing to do. We were not disappointed !! It was like going back in time with the food and wine being as delicious as ever. The staff were a joy and we were delighted to find out that Edwardo was still there after 20 years having started there as the pot washer. At the end of our great meal we were given complimentary Limoncello which was a wonderful end to a memorable evening. Will definitely not leave it another 20 years before we return. Well worth a visit, good food, great atmosphere, lovely staff and reasonable cost.

1  Thank Mammamai

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I've been eating here with my partner since it opened over 25 years ago - literally hundreds of visits. Throughout that time the welcome has always been warm and the very busy staff always friendly. The menu changes infrequently, but there are always specials on the blackboard. The food is consistently good and nicely presented. It is fantastic to have such a great local restaurant nearby and I hope they can keep it up for another quarter century.

1  Thank agentwhim
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited for a second time,my daughter lives in Peckham,on 24/01/13.
Since I was so impressed 1st time round I was not sure that they could impress me as much again.They certainly did !
We visited early prior to watching Les Miserable at the local cinema and at 7pm the restaurant was already half full .
We all(4of us)went for a selection from the specials board and house red with a large bowl of olives whilst waiting followed by coffee .
A lovely pre-film meal,great service and so friendly.

Next visit will be for the evening with no pressures to leave early !

Well done a second time.

If you haven't found or visited this "watering hole" find it you will love it !!

1  Thank 11eagles
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This used to be a favourite haunt of mine many years ago, but I had not been back for a while. So it was great to find it much the same, still a lovely friendly warm and welcoming restaurant in a fantastic location just by Peckham rye station and next to a whole row of ethnic hair and beauty salons. Food and wine were good, we were in a bit of a rush and service was efficient and friendly.

1  Thank jennifermkay
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking here purely because I was surprised such a little place had made it on here but now, having experienced it for myself, I completely understand why.

Walking through the front door of Il Giardino feels like stepping into a family run restuarant you'd find in the mountains of the Dolomites. The atmosphere is instantly warm and welcoming (particularly on a cold night, such was mine) with red flickering candles, time-gone-by wooden tables and chairs and a smile from the delightful staff. My partner and I had a three course meal with a good bottle of wine followed by an Irish coffee and the bill was more than reasonable. The food was simple but the flavours, fresh, exciting and delicious... as all good Italian food should be. The staff were really friendly and considering the place was full, nothing was too much and they made sure they stopped at each table to check everything was in order. The staff gave warm embraces to those who had obviously been coming here for years and seeing this, really rounded off a great night. To see this genuine care and attention is rare in London and this is a restaurant where the food and the people definitely come first.

We've lived in Nunhead for a year and this was our first visit but we have already agreed that this will be a monthly night out for sure.

1  Thank Emma Marie E