“Brilliant lil Italian place next to the British Museum”
Review of Il Castelletto

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I found a brilliant offer for a 3-course meal for 2 for this place on a famous discount website. So we decided to give it a try after our visit to the British Museum. We tried to catch an early dinner but mind you; we had made a reservation beforehand for our early dinner on a Saturday evening (5 PM). It is only a few minutes walk down the road, and we found it fairly quickly with the help of google maps. When we reached and announced that we were using the discount voucher, we were given a different menu than the regular one, which is expected. But we received a completely different menu than the one mentioned in the discount site. That was a bit disappointing as the list presented was mainly vegetarian except for Lasagna. But regardless we had to sit through the meal and redeem the voucher, so we ordered Minestrone, Caprese, Lasagna, Arrabiata, Panna Cotta and Tiramisu (photos attached). And my oh my, were we blown away by the taste, quality, and the portion size. Everything we ordered and served by them was warm, delicious, fresh and had a very nostalgic homely feel. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal, and we will definitely go back and perhaps use the discount again if we find it.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (478)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Very friendly italian staff. The food is good and afordable. Nice wine for a normal price as well. But small so quicky full.

One downside , the are too quick. I could not finish my bottle of wine because the nain was served while the plates of the starters were still on my table.

Nevertheless, good enough to go again.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

I visited Il Castelleto following a trip to the British Museum with a friend.After a five minute walk,having passed many possible eating places we came across Il Castelleto in Bury Place.We liked it's position on a fairly quiet street.It had enough chairs and tables outside plus an Italian flag to make it feel continental.The Romanian waitress was friendly,helpful and accommodating.We both chose a pasta meal mine being with salmon which the waitress recommended.Both came with a side dish of tasty salad items which had been marinated.We both thought that our meals were excellent.They came with a choice of a glass of house wine,beer or soft drink for about 13 pounds.You could have any sort of pasta dish for this set amount.But there was also the possibility of many other fish and meat dishes including steak.On my recommendation my son came to this restaurant the following day on a visit to London and he emailed me to say that he was impressed with the food as well.
I think it deserves to be successful.So visit it for yourself and see
Stephen Webster. Derby. UK

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 25, 2019

Last Thursday as guest of friend's daughter so did not want to complain too much at the the time. I queried whether or not the calves liver was authentic and told it was. It tasted like lamb's liver, had the texture of pig's liver but if indeed it was authentic it was ridiculously over-cooked. My veal saltimbucco was tough, over-cooked served with dismal vegetables mostly carrots with the brocoli mushy and the mushrooms tasteless. We ordered asparagus as a starter but were served prawns as the waiter got the order wrong. We ate the prawns because they looked nice and weren't bad. The calamari was fine. The wine was good and the lemoncello afterwards made us more mellow but this place is everything that a local Italian should not be - the chef cannot cook! We had dessert at the local pub - very nice cheesecake.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 29, 2019 via mobile

Had a pizza here Saturday night while waiting for someone watching a show.
We had a couple of pizzas which had a nice taste a little on the small side.
Tried the Tiramasu, which was good, although I was expecting something special from other reviews.
Watch for the service charge, it seems to be automatically on the bill.

Date of visit: July 2019