“Useless manager”
Review of Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery
Reserve with OpenTable
Toby Carvery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,734 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Useless manager”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

On a recent visit with family and friends, we expected what we had experienced on previous occasions, good reasonably priced food and service. Having tried to get a table for eight, we were asked were all of our party here, no we replied and the man in charge of organizing the tables said 'You can only arrange your table when they are all here' Fair enough. When the last couple had arrived we returned to the man and again asked for a table for eight. OK he said take a buzzer it should be about half an hour. Shortly after the buzzer went off and we were shown to TWO tables one for FIVE and one for THREE. We reasonably pointed out we wanted one table and were told that they don't have a table for eight. Why then was that not explained to us when we TWICE asked for the table for EIGHT, after a load of waffle from TABLE MAN The Manager arrived and i asked why we didn't get the table we had asked for TWICE, as with TABLE MAN , MANAGER MAN proceeded to waffle on about it being busy on a Sunday. On this particular occasion it was in fact the quietest i'd ever seen it. But that did not explain why no one had the common sense to point out when we asked that they couldn't accommodate us.So now sat on two tables a waitress arrived we pointed out that one couple did not drink so asked for two seperate bills. No she replied, we cant do that ! OK so after all the incompetent waffle and not having got an explanation to any of our questions, we made our way to the Carvery, the queue wasnt that long and I was soon asking the CARVERY MAN could i have some Pork and Gammon please. On carving the pork, instead of one reasonable slice of the joint I got about Five tiny pieces of what looked like Shrapnel, I asked could i please have some more as that looked like a childs portion, CARVERY MAN said i haven't put your Gammon on yet, But surely they should be of equal size that is piffling said I.. Its six ounces per portion says CARVERY MAN. Having put the same amount of Gammon on the plate, i walked off in disgust, the young CARVERY MAN called out but I was going to put some more on. Well you didn't put it on when i asked for it, prove that that is six ounces take it away and weigh it, said I. With that CARVERY MAN threw down his knife and fork and said to a colleague Iv'e had enough of this I'm out of here' Having totally lost my appetite i returned to the table and explained what had happened and a friend said 'Yeah i got a stingy portion as well' As for the extraordinary behaviour of CARVERY MAN i can only conclude that what he had had enough of was being told the portions of meat were ridiculously small. I got the impression that the staff were under orders to cut back on the portions and that it was not there fault but the 'Knuckle dragging' twit of a manager. When afore mentioned neanderthal was told by my Daughter, who is in PR, we had such a poor experience of the restaurant, that maybe a bottle of wine on the house might appease the situation, Fred Flintstone replied 'Don't tell me how to do my job'. Well somebody should, because he just lost Toby carveries a lot of future custom ! Such a shame that this rude ignorant moron ruined one of many other very good meals and visits to The Eagle. We wont be back !

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Denis K

“Christmas menu confusion”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Having visited today with a party of six people, we had already pre booked the Xmas menu options. When we wanted to order, two of us wanted the Xmas treat menu and the remaining four wanted the Xmas celebration menu. However, for whatever reason they told us we could only all order from the same menu. What is the point of offering a choice of two menus and then telling us that we don't have a choice between the two ? I found it demonstrated quite poor customer service in that they were not very accommodating. It's not as if you're ordering from the normal menu they would say to a party of multiple people 'you all have to eat the same food'. I don't feel like re-visiting for any future Xmas meals.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Bhole1
London, United Kingdom
“The proof was not in the pudding!”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Had the carvery and dessert offer for 6.50 today. Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond their control there were no Yorkshire puddings! Never encountered that before in a carvery, very bizarre. Cadged a sausage instead to make up for it. Overall the meal was OK although the onion in gravy I had was almost raw but the meat was not wafer thin as in the Buckhurst Hill Toby and potatoes and other veg were good. Had Apple crumble to follow but unfortunately the crumble was very thin and appeared undercooked, custard portion generous.

• Visited November 2013
Chelmsford, Essex
“staying overnight (Travel Lodge) to attend wedding”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

didn't open until 9am for breakfast - there were two tariffs which was confusing - otherwise the food was quite good but it was self service.

Visited September 2013
Essex
“It's a Toby, so you know what to expect”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you want a reasonably priced carvery, then the Toby chain always delivers. 4 kinds of roast, plus veggies and huge yorkshire puds! This was our first visit to this Toby since it was decorated over the summer and it is now much improved. We usually go to the Buckhurst Hill one, but we fancied a change. The staff are great, even on a busy Sunday lunchtime although there are never enough staff around.

Like all Toby's you cannot book ahead, which often means a huge wait. They really should change their policy as there are times I fancy a meal with family, and book elsewhere to get a guaranteed table, especially when members of our table have disabilities - they cannot be expected to stand and wait for a table.

Within 40 minutes of our arriving at 11.30am people were queueing for a table, so if you want to eat here, arrive early or after the usual 1pm - 2pm lunch hour.

My only complaint about this Toby, which is much improved since its makeover, is that the ladies toilets were a bit grubby, there was no soap either, so I hate to think how staff managed to wash their hands! Having already eaten my meal I put that out of my mind!

If you sign up for the newsletter there are always offers of free ice cream, etc. You can also get offers if you complete their online survey. It is worth doing this if you fancy a free upgrade to a larger meal or a free pudding.

This Toby is very near to Snaresbrook Station, there is a car park around the back, and Wanstead High Road is just around the corner, as is the forest - and if you need to attend, it is right opposite the law courts!

• Visited September 2013