“Food ok shame about the service”
Review of The Clissold Arms

The Clissold Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Clissold Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,346 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: We are on Fortis Green which is a 10 minute walk from East Finchley tube Station. Bus routes 102 & 234 service fortis green whilst we are just a short walk from both Muswell Hill(43,134,299) & East Finchley (143,263 H3)
London, United Kingdom
“Food ok shame about the service”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Went there for my birthday and although the food is reasonably ok the service needs to shape up fast. It started with the barman who was so busy chatting to other people that he mixed up our order. When we were ready to order our food I asked if I could pay full price for one of their sharing starters but just give me half the quantity. The waiter immediately launched into a speech about how this was totally mpossible for the busy kitchen and made me feel guilty for even asking. So I decided to question the manager who rolled his eyes and told me of course it was possible. He returned five minutes later with our starters and stated that I wouldn't be charged for mine. A nice gesture but at the same time he was apologising as he had brought out the sharing plate. How hard could it have been to put half on a different plate?
Next thing I see is the same stroppy waiter having a meltdown in front of the other diners about something he didn't want to do. Then the manager brought over a junior waiter to the table behind us and proceeded to chastise him about how he had served something in front of the diners. Cringe. Oh and then when we were leaving the manager made more inappropriate comments to us on our way out. At this stage I am convinced The Clissold Arms is the. Faulty Towers of Gastro pubs. Won't be rushing back.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank MartinaLondon11

London, United Kingdom
“Unremarkable and overpriced food”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This historic pub between Muswell Hill and East Finchley has decided to focus almost soley on food making the casual drinker feel almost unwelcome which is a shame considering the quality wine & beverage menu. The food is fine, though unremarkable, and pretty pricey for a Sunday roast. The service is briskly efficient. Family friendly, to the point of baby buggy jams between tables. Not recommended considering other nearby options.

• Visited December 2012
“Lovely local”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My partner and I have been coming here since we moved to the area 4 years ago - there are two pubs situated closer to where we live but we think the slightly longer walk to the Clissold is absolutely worth it. The menus are always interesting and the atmosphere is great, whatever the occasion - we've come here for romantic meals for two, family occasions such as birthdays, entertained visiting friends from out of town here, spent relaxed Sunday afternoons reading the papers and chilling out and spent the last three New Years Eves here as well. The best thing about the Clissold are the friendly staff who go out of their way to make sure that our visit is a happy and relaxed one, whatever the occasion.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank samanthavaruni
Leeds
“Early evening tapas style worked very well for us.”
Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

Ate there as one if three adults early evening 1740-1900 tonight, 4th Devember.
The main courses which started at 1800 appeared a bit pricey and I needed to get a train so we decided to order from the afternoon menu which turned out to be a great decision.
We ordered prawns, squid (a bit thinner cut than ideal but ok), chorizo sausage, chicken wings, assorted cold meats and cheese and bread and olives.
It worked for us, was very tasty and cost less than £60 with Peroni for 2 and wine for the other.
I'm sure we'll return but probably at a similar time. The restaurant looks amazing and if you've not been before you'll be surprised at how many tables can be seated...... But can the same service be extended to everyone when it's full?

London, UK
“Overpriced and poor quality”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I live locally and neighbours told me to avoid this pub, which has gone downhill over a successive number of years. However a friend and I needed a local place to catch up and this was conveniently situated.

The food is expensive for what it is - £18-25 for a main course in a north London non-gastro pub is pretty steep. The quantity wasn't bad but the food was bland, unimaginative and poor quality. The waiter/waitresses hassled us a lot to start [4 seperate people asked us if we wanted drinks in the first 5 minutes], but overall were quite friendly.

The pub was incredibly noisy although not hugely busy and overall didn't feel welcoming or comfortable. We didn't linger and won't return.

• Visited October 2012