“Cosy and Comfy”
Review of Bald Faced Stag

Bald Faced Stag
Reserve with OpenTable
Bald Faced Stag is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,523 of 23,593 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, Bar, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Bald Faced Stag, British Pub and Dining room, just minutes walk from East Finchley tube station. The venue boasts a light airy dining room seating up to 120, a bar area which includes the "Thomas Grub" function space and a beautiful decked garden built around a historic sycamore tree. With a varied menu served throughout, The Stag is the perfect choice for a special night out or just a quick bite to eat. Within East Finchley neighbours; the famous Phoenix cinema right on the doorstep, The Stag is also the ideal location for a pre-show meal or post-show critique. Dog-friendly in the bar area and just a short walk from Cherry Tree and Highgate Woods, the pub provides refreshment for weary walkers. Child friendly throughout it is a well-loved venue for the big occasions such as Mothers and Fathers Days, as well as for a family Sunday lunch. Follow The Stag on facebook or twitter BALDFACEDSTAGN2 for details of events.
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Popped in the other night for a quick drink with my other half and was pleasantly surprised. Its a lovely cosy pub which is great on these cold days. We decided to order a couple of bits from the bar menu and they were well received, especially the tempura broccoli. Every dish seemed to come with a different dip so we were rather spoilt for choice when it came to dipping but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We ended up staying for more drinks than we intented, whoops! Would definitely visit again to try the main restaurant.

TheBaldFacedStagN2, Manager at Bald Faced Stag, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thanks for your review, glad to hear you enjoyed your evening and are planning to return, we'll look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Decided to pop up to North London for a celebratory dinner and stumbled upon the bald faced stag. Enjoyed a relaxed evening with highlights of black pudding and Hamhock rissoles, venison pie and great wine. Service was friend

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

A group of 9 friends visited The Bald Faced Stag last weekend to celebrate a birthday and I am still shocked by how bad it was.

Most importantly, at least 5 members of the group complained of upset stomachs after eating there which is unsurprising given my meal was completely undercooked! I ordered the Sweet Potato Tagine and the potato was so hard there was no way I could eat it. The waitress asked me when she cleared the table if she could wrap it up for me and I explained that actually I couldn't eat it because it wasn't cooked. She shrugged and took the plate away before returning a minute later to inform me she had tried it and it was cooked and would I like to now eat it. To prove her point, she proceeded to press down on a piece of the potato, which wouldn't squash even slightly. So then she picked the piece of potato up and ate it to really drive home her point. I'm still not totally sure what that point was but I'm quite sure that it is NEVER acceptable to eat from a customers plate, TWICE, and try to force them into eating a meal that is clearly not good!

The Tagine was still on the bill and stupidly I paid and left despite not eating.

Two of the girls ordered the apple crumble which also wasn't cooked properly. They didn't bother to complain. Having seen the amazing ability of the waitress to ignore and turn blame, why bother?!

I've noticed a few other bad reviews for this place and rather than rattle off "oh you should have said something" maybe the onus needs to be on training the staff to actually care and listen to what the customer is saying?? I don't want to complain when I'm having a day out with friends and frankly, I shouldn't have to. Rather than me having to call over a manager and make a fuss on my friends birthday a waitress should be able to gauge something so obvious as this lady hasn't eaten, she's telling me it's uncooked. How would you treat a guest in your house? Would you insist that they are wrong or would you accept that they're unhappy and maybe try to offer them something else? Treat customers as if you actually want them there and I think you'll find you can solve most problems instantly.

1  Thank sunshine_1_1_1_1_12
TheBaldFacedStagN2, Manager at Bald Faced Stag, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

That does indeed sound like extremely poor service and very worrying. If you don't mind I will message you directly and try to get to the bottom of exactly what happened. My sincere apologies that you had such a bad experience.
Jo

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Never had such a bad experience in a pub before with food and rude staff. Firstly their prices are far too high for the food they serve which I think would fall below anyone's standards, food took nearly hour to come out, staff just didn't care about us at all, they kept saying your food on its way but still made us wait for nearly an hour. We wanted to speak to the manager but were told "he is very busy right now"
What disgrace of pub.
I wouldn't recommend you spending your hard earned money in this place.

TheBaldFacedStagN2, Manager at Bald Faced Stag, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Hi,
Thank you very much for your review, I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I am the new manager (a female) and I hope that none of my staff would ever say that I didn't have time to help a customer who was disatisfied as this certainly isn't ever the case. I have messaged you directly as it would be extremely helpful to get details of when you visited and what you ate so that I can look into any problems and make sure that future customers are much more satisfied.
Kind regards
Jo Lloyd-Rogers
Manager

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Really excited to be going upon recommendation only to be hugely disappointed. You could barely breath through the cooking smoke and the whole meal was over priced and of average quality. Two scallops for £8! Cold chips of the frozen type and not one of our five starters and mains were even remotely satisfactory. What a shame as the place has great potential but we will not be returning. One positive was the staff did their best.