“Big ideas, small portions and a nasty sting in the tail”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of L'Autre Pied

L'Autre Pied
Ranked #416 of 22,375 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Conveniently set in the heart of London's fashionable Marylebone village, L'Autre Pied is the sister restaurant of the well-known Pied a Terre. Here, you will experience fine dining with a pleasantly affordable price tag in a relaxing atmosphere. The decor is an eclectic mix of warm woods and modern finishes which create a chic environment that is befitting of the accomplished cooking on offer. The food features imaginative and interesting contrasts that are well-conceived and carefully prepared. For the summer months, there is also the added advantage of eating outdoors whilst watching the world go by and for an extra special experience, enjoy private dining for up to 16 guests.
Oxford, UK
“Big ideas, small portions and a nasty sting in the tail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

My partner and I were once again seduced by a Groupon deal that offered the tasting menu for half price. Now, there is always a suspicion that Groupon deals are more a triumph of marketing over value and that's what we felt in this case.

The tasting menu comprised 7 dishes, 2 of which were desserts. They were imaginative, often presenting complex flavours counterpointing one another in fancy formats such as jellies, mousses and purees. I was impressed for about the first 3 dishes until I realized that all dishes were going to be so small they were little more than glorified amuse bouches and that the chef was more concerned about packing the maximum number of culinary tricks into his dishes than delivering a coherent plate of food that satisfied as well as intrigued. In most cases, there was so much going on that as soon as you had prodded the fragile conconctions a few times with your cutlery than the magic turned into a puddle of flavours dissolving into one another.

As a meat eater, I was disappointed that only one dish contained any meat, the delightful roe deer cooked to perfection in juniper and cocoa, though the portion wouldn't have satisfied a toddler. The non-alcoholic cocktails amount to little more than a blend of 2 fruit juices and, at over £6 a piece were overpriced.

Service was competent though a little mechanical and not helped by serving staff whose English was fluent but, at times, buried in a heavy accent which, given the crowded and cramped dining room was very hard to decipher. To say there was nothing special about the ambience would be to confuse L'autre Pied with Ask or Bella Pasta either of which have buckets more character than L'autre pied. Our table was so hemmed in that we had to move it twice so as not to constrict our neighbours' ability to choose when to go to the toilet without our permission. My recollection of the restaurant is brown and of the food, grey.

So, you will guess we were somewhat disappointed. Had we not been aware that the service charge was discretionary, we might also have been angry as they had applied their 12.5% not just to the drinks and wine, not just to the £62 we paid Groupon, but to the undiscounted cost of the meal plus the extras, totaling around £18. Needless to say, we left a tenner and cut our losses which is what I advise anyone else to do rather than bring the evening down further by taking issue with the management.

All in all, a mildly interesting, mildly disappointing, mildly overpriced experience.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Phileas_Flogg
Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Phileas_Flogg, I’m sorry to hear our style of dining didn’t meet your expectations and you were not completely satisfied with your Groupon offer. Our portions throughout a seven course menu aim to balance a range of complex and exciting flavours without being overbearing or overfilling but this isn’t always to every diner’s taste, for example the à la carte menu provides larger portions. Regards, David Moore.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Taste sensation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at L'Autre Pied on a balmy Tuesday evening. The food was divine. The menu was well explained and the sommelier especially helpful in choosing the wine once our food choice was made. The staff were approachable and friendly. The food was a taste sensation. The chef managed to extract the maximum flavour from the ingredients and presented them beautifully. I used to wonder what all the fuss was about with this style of cooking and presentation but now I know...exquisite blends of flavours and a plate you want to photograph..along with staff who are clearly passionate about their craft. All adds up to a wonderful experience and one we shall repeat.

• Visited June 2013
Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Matthew, I’m pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the menu and thank you for your review. I look forward to seeing you again soon, David Moore.
Perth Western Australia
“Wonderful Michelin star restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Wonderful restaurant,great food,great staff,wine and drinks. The chefs know their food and what people want. Excellent, certainly worth a visit, cost is pretty good.

Visited May 2013
Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Russell, thank you for your lovely comments, we will pass your compliments to our chefs! David Moore.
london
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Lunch set menu provided a fantastic entertaining meal at a very reasonable price. Would highly recommend

• Visited May 2013
Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi Dst184, thank you for your comments and I hope to welcome you back soon. David Moore.
London, United Kingdom
“A delicious meal - but I wasn't paying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Had a very pleasant lunch at L'Autre Pied, perhaps made nicer by a lack of anticipation of what was to come - I hadn't done any homework so had no idea what to expect - and not having to pay.

The restaurant was nicely located near to bustling Marylebone High Street, the decor was clean and spartan, which isn't very inviting but I guess is done to make the food the star. The food was excellent. I can safely say that the pressed suckling pig was the best I've ever had.

I'd recommend it for lunch, but don't expect an experience as well as a gourmet meal.

• Visited May 2013
Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Hi RolloMcFluff, thank you for your review and I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the meal. I hope we’ve won you over and you’ll be back for more! Thanks, David Moore.