“Friendly and relaxed fine dining in central London”
Review of L'Autre Pied

L'Autre Pied
Ranked #573 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Conveniently set in the heart of London's fashionable Marylebone village, L'Autre Pied is the sister restaurant of the well-known Pied a Terre. Here, you will experience fine dining with a pleasantly affordable price tag in a relaxing atmosphere. The decor is an eclectic mix of warm woods and modern finishes which create a chic environment that is befitting of the accomplished cooking on offer. The food features imaginative and interesting contrasts that are well-conceived and carefully prepared. For the summer months, there is also the added advantage of eating outdoors whilst watching the world go by and for an extra special experience, enjoy private dining for up to 16 guests.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We chose this restaurant for the quality of its food and lack of pretentiousness and weren't disappointed on either count. The service was attentive but friendly and the food was sublime -- I particularly enjoyed the scallops ceviche (raw), which I had never tried before. Highlights for my partner were his venison main course and the expert cheese selection, which was clearly put together by experts. The only weak part of the meal was my partridge main course. I had not eaten partridge before and found it rather rubbery and tough and surprisingly tasteless. Although the accompaniments were delicious, I certainly wouldn't rush to have partridge again. I would also like to mention the sommelier, who helped us choose some excellent wines, including a truly superb French dessert wine whose name I unfortunately cannot remember. All in all, a memorable meal in lovely surroundings.

Pied R, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Hi queenaliofhanover, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the meal however I am sorry to hear the partridge was not to your liking – if you had mentioned this to our waiting staff we would have been happy to replace it with an alternative. Thank you for your compliments to our sommelier. We hope to see you again at L’Autre Pied, David Moore.

There are newer reviews for L'Autre Pied

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This has got to be one of the best lunchtime bargains around. Two courses (plus nibbles) for £22, three for £25.50. The food is inventive and complex, with a great variety of textures and tastes. The dishes are light and reasonably healthy, but don't lack anything in taste. Presentation is outstanding. There are interesting wines by the glass to compliment the food, and the staff are very helpful and attentive. Portions weren't copious, but just right for me at lunchtime.

Hi Andy, thank you for reviewing your experience at L’Autre Pied. We believe our lunch menu is one of London’s best kept secrets, so I am glad you enjoyed your meal and appreciate your comments. Thanks, David Moore.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is about the 6th time i have been in the last two years and i thought i'd better give it a review as it keeps getting better and better!!! Andrew mcfadden in the kitchen though young seems to have a very wise head on his shoulders and is a big talent!! his food i find to be light and very interesting, some unusual techniquies and some very clever. Again the combinations can be unusual but all seem to work very well and the desserts are fantastic he really seems to be on top of his game!
the service i have found to be very warm (and davids shirts brighten the place uo too) and they always remember me and my love of bread and lots of butter always putting an extra dish of butter down when i arrive! wine matchings have been very good though on one visit the wine with my dessert i found a bit wierd. but in 6 visits thats all i have to say bad about the place!!!
I highly recommend the restaurant and it doesn't break the bank!!!

Hi monkeyman82, thank you for your wonderful review! I’m glad you have enjoyed your experiences at L’Autre Pied – Andy works hard to offer a range of creative dishes and techniques and I’m working hard on the shirt front! Next time you’re coming in let us know and you can pop down to the kitchen to meet Andy. We look forward to seeing you again soon, David Moore.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I treated my Mother and I to the tasting menu here and I did not regret it. Not only was the price at £70 per person for 9 courses very reasonable for London in the evening they adapted to my cheese allergy beyond measure. I often can feel awkward with my allergy but not in this restuarant. After giving them advanced warning I think I got a better menu than my Mother.

The food is exsquisite, divine and well put together in terms of flavours and presentation. The staff, you get a food waiter and a drinks waiter were very friendly and couldn't do enough. More so the wine was beautiful and the waiter knowledgable. The surprise was the cost - £6 for a good sized glass of extraordinary wine. Very reasonable when compared to toehr Michelin restaurants I have visited.

The restaurant though not large is not so small that you feel claustrophobic and has a really nice atmosphere and ambience.

I highly recommend visiting and trying the superb food. You shall not be disappointed.

Shreena L, Owner at L'Autre Pied, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hi Shelley, thank you for your review. It is always nice to hear such wonderful feedback. We always try our level best to assist dietary requirements and I am glad you enjoyed your meal. Thanks, David Moore.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked for the tasting menu on New Years Eve, and enjoyed the different and complementary tastes of most courses. The only course we did not enjoy was the dessert which was too rich for our taste, particularly after five courses. Although the restaurant was busy and service was quite hectic the cooking was precise and very enjoyable. Those serving us were friendly and described the food well, but without any pretentiosness. On the downside we decided to have the flight of seven wines for £60+, and we felt this to be disappointing and overpriced. In fact we were only offered six wines and only two of them were of the quality we would have expected to match the high quality of the cooking. We would recommend the food without reservation but would suggest choosing the wine with care.