“Superb!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Celebrated Mayfair restaurant, The Square, re-opened its doors on Bruton Street on in November 2017. Under the ownership of MARC (Marlon Abela Restaurant Corporation), a major re-design coupled with the appointment of Clément Leroy to the role of executive chef marks an exciting new chapter in The Square’s story, following the departure of Philip Howard in 2016.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This will be very short: I went to The Square for an evening meal with 4 others this summer. Everything was excellent and the food was perfection. This was a memorable occasion and although we went some time ago, I still savour the memory. I can thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We celebrated my birthday in this gorgeous place. Great service, scrumptious food, went for the tasting menu, worth every bite....preferred this cuisine and food here as well as the service over their sister restaurant the Ledbury
My only gripe about the Square is the dress code which is quite relaxed...have seen few clients in Denim and rucksacks for dinner accompanied with their 'noisy kids' late at night...
I think the Square should restrict the dress code for 'dinner' to perhaps lounge suit or smart dress to maintain its class and standard for dinner time to keep the atmosphere more romantic as well.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Phil Howard's reputation lead us to great expectations, we were not disappointed. We lunched with friends and indulgently chose the tasting menu with accompanying wines, the food was exquisite and the service faultless, sommeliers choice of wines perfect, we would recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking a gastronomic experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We visited this restaurant last Thursday and had a superb meal. We opted for the three course menu, as I have a nut allergy so couldn't have the tasting menu. Everything was top class, from the canapé's to the petit fours and service was also impeccable. My only comment would be that I had emailed the restaurant about my nut allergy and they said it was no problem. However when it came to ordering the dessert, I was initially told I could not have anything on the menu. I had to plead with them to put something together, which they did and it was delicious. We had a great evening and would definitely go back.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at the Square on Saturday in the private dining room as a party of twelve and the standard of food was definitely good but I was left feeling a little underwhelmed by the service.

To be fair this is only the second time that I have dined in a Michelin starred restaurant this year and my first experience of a two michelin star restaurant.

I was really looking forward to the experience because the previous (one star) restaurant had been amazing and we had received impeccable service.

However this time there were a few things that i felt let things down...

In the previous restaurant the chef had taken the time to speak to us and introduced some of the courses personally (in fact the head chef even took us for a tour of the kitchens after our meal and explained everything to us) and the staff at the other restaurant had been amazing.

By comparison the person who introduced the amuse bouche and other courses at The Square didn't really seem to be that interested.

Later, when the main courses arrived, there seemed to have been a mix-up with the grooms meal and when he mentioned that he had been served the wrong course he was asked if he 'was sure' that he had really ordered the beef!!

He was then left to wait whilst the rest of the diners ate their main courses and his arrived some 10-15 minutes later.

As far as I am aware there didn't even seem to be any sort of apology.

During the cheese course one waiter knocked some cheese biscuits out of the hand of another the wine waiter was then left holding the door open with one hand whilst pouring wine with the other hand.

He then had to bend down and pick all of the biscuits off the floor as the other servers seemed to have left him to do this on his own...

Considering that this was a Saturday afternoon and the restaurant did not appear that busy the lack of attention to detail was disappointing.

Later in the evening when I discussed the matter later with the groom he also expressed his overall disappointment and went so far as to say that he wished that he had chosen an alternative venue for his wedding dinner which is a shame as the rest of the weekend went without a hitch!!

I would certainly say that overall the service and food rated a solid 8/10 but not the 9 or 10 that I was expecting from an establishment of this calibre and this seemed to be the general opinion of the other people in our party.

I'm sure our experience was probably atypical of the normal service received by most and hopefully improvements will be made.