“Excellent Choice for a Night Out in London”
Review of The Square

The Square
Ranked #389 of 23,713 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Celebrated Mayfair restaurant, The Square, re-opened its doors on Bruton Street on in November 2017. Under the ownership of MARC (Marlon Abela Restaurant Corporation), a major re-design coupled with the appointment of Clément Leroy to the role of executive chef marks an exciting new chapter in The Square’s story, following the departure of Philip Howard in 2016.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Four of us dined at The Square for dinner to celebrate my birthday. Overall the evening was excellent and I would highly recommend the restaurant to those looking for top-end food and drink - with style. The food is first class and although the service was slightly slower than I am use to, I did not feel it impacted negatively on the whole experience. I will definitely be returning.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We dined at The Square for my husband’s birthday, but sadly The Square didn’t quite live up to our expectations. On the positive side, the food is excellent. I had the Dorset Crab Lasagne to start which was delicious. The main of pork cheek was pretty standard (a little let down by presentation) but the desserts were outstanding.

Less positively… I was disappointed to find that our allocated table was somewhat wedged in between the tables either side – a large party and another couple. We couldn’t move – it was a busy Friday night and the restaurant was full. This also made service awkward as the staff could not easily serve me. That’s when service arrived…! We were left waiting nearly 40 minutes to place our orders, despite politely asking the staff twice to take our order. The table adjacent to us then received their orders before we did. Service remained slightly chaotic throughout the evening, eventually prompting my husband to request that this charge be removed from our bill.

If the issue of service was addressed, I’d be recommending The Square without hesitation.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had been looking forward to visiting The Square from the day that my wife told me that she was taking me there for my birthday, and it proved that you shouldn't never have expectations before you go as they will possibly won't be lived up to.

The food itself was very nice and what I would expect from a 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. My starter of lasagne of dover crab with champagne foam was delicious, and the cheesecake for dessert was a delight....

However, the downside to the entire night was the service... having read some of the reviews on here and noticing that a lot of people were commenting on this, I wanted to reserve judgement and see for myself, but I have to agree with the vast majority when they say that the service is SLOW!!

We waited for 25 minutes before even being asked if we were ready to order, and then had to wait another 10 minutes for someone to come and take our order. What made things a lot worse for me personally was that the people sitting next to us were seated 15 minutes after us, and were served before us!

Throughout the night, the service remained slow, and put a little bit of a dampner on the whole evening... As a result, I asked for the service charge to be taken off of our bill as I didn't think that it was deserved or warranted.

All in all... a good night with amazing company, some good food was let down by the little elements that should make a 2 Michelin-starred restaurant meritted of that accolade.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great food but just too much of it. Our 3 courses ended up being about 7 with all the amuses bouches and extras. We left stuffed.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

It has become a nice habit to have an excellent lunch at the Square on the day of leaving London, this has been going on now for several years. If the food, service etc. would not be of an outstanding level, we would have changed a long time ago, but we are still following our nice "routine".
The dishes are sublime, the service attentive but not overdone, the wine list a poem. WE DO LOVE IT and shall be returning. The value for money is excellent. We shall be back next time we shall be in London.