“Great Location, Great Apartment, Spotty Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Megaro

Hotel Megaro
Ranked #114 of 1,088 Hotels in London
chicago
“Great Location, Great Apartment, Spotty Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We recently stayed (March 2012) at the Megaro Hotel -- specifically at the apartments located a block away from the main hotel. Be warned -- the hotel facade is currently undergoing a remodeling so it is hard to find under the scaffolding and netting. We spent a good twenty minutes walking up and down the street before finally asking another hotel concierge where it was located. The hotel lobby is pretty funky with black and white tile and an Alice in Wonderland vibe. Although we arrived early by 4 hours we were given key cards to our apartment and we were off. We were walked to our apartment by the coolly efficient concierge and given a very brief introduction to our kitchenette and the use of the card.

The apartment is in a beautiful building located across from a park/basketball court which is in constant use (day and night). Our particular apartment was at the very top of the building which required climbing 52 steps most of them outside with 12 very steep stairs within the apartment itself -- not for the faint of heart.

We stayed in the apartment that accommodated 4 adults. Two beds were in the main living area and one was in an open (no door) room. The bathroom which was beautiful was located within the main bedroom. The apartment was supplied with a small refrigerator a stove/oven a sink and cupboards with plates and glasses and utensils including a corkscrew. There was an iron and ironing board in a large closet in the main area and a hair dryer in the main bedroom. All the beds were comfortable and the rooms were kept scrupulously clean at all times.
Now for the Pros and Cons --
Pros:
Location, location, location: If you're not afraid of using the tube, you are a block away from the main hub at St. Pancras/King's Cross station. There are ton of incredible restaurants and pubs, a shopping mall, a grocery store and a cinema all within easy walking distance. A bike rental is across from the main hotel and a bank.

The room: Absolutely worth the cost, large and roomy and the great kitchenette. We had a wonderful home-cooked breakfast one day with fresh ingredients we got from an open market and some stuff from the local grocery.

Megaro Restaurant: Delicious food, delightful service and incredibly cool environment. I wish we would have eaten breakfast here and lunch. Our late dinner was one of the best meals we had in London -- truly amazing -- if you do go try the garlic soup -- YUM!

Cons:
Noise/Drunken Rowdies: This section of London appears to have an inordinate amount of rowdy extremely loud people that enjoy shouting at all hours of the early morning and late night. I like to sleep with the windows open, but after the first night, I learned to use ear plugs and keep the window closed.

Meeting Drunk/Homeless: Although we never felt threatened or scared at any time of day or night that we were out and about, we encountered on a daily basis many very obviously inebriated people (and their by-products).

Minor Complaints:
None of the concierges knew how to turn on the very new/trendy stove (and were not very interested in helping -- but after some experimenting we were able to get it going.
The free wifi seemed to drop out at a certain time every evening and would not work until early morning.

Overall, we were very happy we chose the Megaro and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank msmpt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

I love London and I adore the Megaro.
After a week in Paris (where despite my efforts to not fall prey to stereotypes I did find people less helpful than in other places I visited) I arrived at The Megaro and was immediately made to feel at home. As I was staying for a week they ensured I had a quiet room away from Euston Road. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay.
The hotel is across the road from St. Pancras International, where the Eurostar arrives, and the proximity was welcome. It is housed in the eccentrically decorated Barclay's Bank building which is extremely handy as there are ATMs on your doorstep.
The location was perfect for me as it was walking distance to almost everything I wanted to do and when I was feeling too lazy to walk to The Tower, the tube was right outside the door.
The room was large enough to contain the VERY COMFY bed, a desk & a table and chairs. It had great closet space, enough to contain all my luggage and for me to hang / drawer all my clothes. The bathroom was huge and had a good shower over the bath.
The hotel restaurant and room service was great, if somewhat out of my usual non-holiday budget. The food was really delicious and there was a great variety.
As a four star hotel I had known that The Megaro would cost more than I would usually pay for accomodation, but when I got the final bill I was extremely chuffed to find that even with 3 lots of room service (including a fancy champagne) it came to less than I had budgetted. The value for money was amazing.
I will be in London again next year and will definitely be staying at The Megaro again.

Room Tip: I had a room on the fifth floor and it was quiet enough for me.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TraceyLei
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a solid performer in a terrific location. Clean, comfortable, reasonably stylish and very well priced. I would definitely stay here again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

This hotel is a GEM! I've been at this hotel before it was renovated and now recently have been again!

Restaurant is great and food as well! Breakfast was wonderful. Really like the bar downstairs. The interior is great! Very chilled but at the same time a live atmosphere.

I would come here everytime if i could!

Room Tip: They have apartments, you could ask for an upgrade and sometimes when they are not busy they'll...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I was booked into this hotel for one night for a short business trip in April 2012. Having read some of the reviews here, I was slightly concerned that sleep might be disturbed by London traffic noise.

Upon arrival, I received a friendly welcome and was checked-in efficiently. I requested a quiet room and my request was granted, I was given a quiet room on the 5th floor.

The room was of a nice size, warm and of a trendy and stylish design. The bed was comfortable with a nice duvet and ample pillows. The room was well kitted out with TV, a safe, a trendy expresso maker, kettle, fridge, iron & ironing board and the free WiFi access was fast and very welcome.

The bathroom was also of a trendy design and the power shower over the bath was excellent. The only letdown was that for some reason they chose a wooden surround around the shower screen and with time the wood was getting somewhat worse for wear. Further, it was disappointing that the seals around the bath were getting black with mould and this had not been removed. Finally, the towels were old and scratchy - shame as all other linen was excellent.

Being on the 5th floor and facing towards the rear of the building, I received a great night's sleep (and didn't need my ear plugs!). All in all, a very good hotel and pleasant stay. This hotel offers a very good service at a great price - really good value.

Net Promoter question: Would I recommend this hotel to a family member or friend? Yes, more than likely!

Room Tip: If you need a quiet night, make sure you request a room on a higher floor, facing away from Euston R...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

Modern room facilities in a boutique hotel across from St Pancreas and kitty corner to Kings Cross underground station. Standard room is OK for 1 or 2 day stay. If I was staying longer would opt for a larger room. Attached restaurant is OK. When traveling from Heathrow airport jump on the underground (Piccadilly Line) and exit at Kings Cross (about 1 hour and costs 5.20 pound sterling). What is new is that the building has been painted with funky colors so you will not miss it. Yes you will hear siren noise on Euston Rd. so wear some ear plugs. If I was traveling on the Eurostar, I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

The good news: this hotel is literally across the street from St Pancras station. Except for a hotel in the station, you really can’t get much closer. For the neighborhood it is a nice hotel with large rooms and large tub and bath area.

The negative: not for light sleepers. Because it fronts Euston road, it is downright noisy. Police sirens, busses, ambulances and random people talking and yelling make for a noisy night. The windows would benefit from some form of insulation to cut down the noise. As it is, you feel like you are sleeping in the median on Euston Street. I’ll never stay there again because of the noise - otherwise it’d be a recommendable fair value.

By the way, worth mentioning is the restaurant. Reasonably priced for London (meaning expense by most non-London standards) the food is quite good and recommendable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo