“Quiet and convenient”

Ranked #291 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Quiet and convenient”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Visited with my husband for one night to go to the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. Chose The Beauchamp after a lot of research on TripAdvisor and were very pleased. Hotel book in was very easy and room was clean and pleasant with a fabulous view of the lovely, peaceful gardens, as requested when we booked online.
As we hoped, it was an easy 10-15 minute stroll through pleasant, well-lit, safe-feeling streets to get to the Opera House. Then in the morning it was a couple of minutes' walk around the corner to visit the British Museum. Self-service buffet continental breakfast had great variety, although not always the highest quality, eg cheap ham slices and cheap juice, however, it was perfectly adequate for us and you could eat as much as you liked.
Very happy with stay apart from minor irritation of the hum from the basement (air-con I assume), which spoiled the tranquil atmosphere when we had the windows open. The fact that it was audible at night demonstrates just what a wonderfully quiet location this is - you can hardly believe you are in central London.
Staff were pleasant and were happy to keep our bags in the morning after we checked out whilst we visited the British Museum. Also were quick to be helpful print out a map to give us directions where to go the previous evening.
Very enjoyable, relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank GabbyGabriella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed the night of 23-24 May 2013 at The Beauchamp, latest addition to the Grange chain of hotels. We have already stayed in their hotels the Strathmore, Blooms, and St Paul's.

St Paul's is their flagship, right next to the cathedral, and deserves its 5-star rating. We would stay there again any time if we could get the same discounted rate!

Strathmore - never again until some big changes are made.

We were interested by the fact that it used to be the town house of the Earl of Strathmore, father of the late Queen Mother. This showed in the fact that our first bedroom was up in the former servants' quarters on the top floor, with small windows that were too high to actually see out of. Quite claustrophobic. The room was changed, so a tick there, but breakfast was hardly worth eating. Supposedly Full English, it had most of the elements but nothing was freshly prepared, but left in large open rectangular metal containers. Dried up scrambled egg, bacon either dried up or greasy... No thanks, Grange.

Blooms has been consistently good and we have stayed there several times. Its larger rooms are worth the extra and its L-shaped family room includes a comfortable sofa bed; plus REAL breakfasts cooked to order, and nicely cooked too.

We would have stayed again at Blooms on this occasion but it was full, so in the parallel street we went to The Beauchamp instead.

Location is therefore as good as Blooms, and the staff were just as nice. The public rooms were attractively done and the bedrooms had clearly had some money spent on them, with a very comfortable bed in ours (room 007 - nice number, as the barman said). BUT the bathrooms were from another era; the fan did not work; the kettle did not work, so no early morning tea; and as for breakfast, most of it was cooked to order and was good - but sadly let down by scrambled eggs that had clearly been cooked an hour earlier. Plus, room 007 was facing the street, meaning that people were walking past on the same level about 12 feet away, and curtains had to be closed throughout our stay.

So, for preference back to Blooms any time.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StephenHowarth
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed one night in the Beauchamp having booked an executive double and asked for a quiet room. I arrived around 9.30am, slightly jetlagged, to check my bags and if possible get an earlier check-in than the published 3pm. The hotel reception was relatively efficient, but not very welcoming, and the best early check-in I was offered was 2.30pm.

When I finally got into my room I was impressed with the size but that is about all. The bathroom was tired and dull, definitely not up to the standard of the room. I was told it was one of the best rooms in the hotel and yet the carpet was stained and layout not very ergonomic. The room was also overlooking the main street on the first floor and thus hardly 'quiet' as I had requested.

Overall for the price I paid, and in comparison with other hotels in the same area that I have stayed in, I'm not sure I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Paul2496
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Difficult to get a reasonably priced hotel over a bank holiday weekend, this place was expensive but better than some others, and proved to be rather nice! Modern stylish bedroom /bathroom,, plenty of space. Nice lounge area, helpful staff. We ate dinner there one night and the food was not great, wouldn't eat there again but other than that no other criticisms! Quiet street, slept like a log and Russell Square tube station is 2 mins walk round the corner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I arrived at Heathrow without a hotel reservation and found The Beauchamp through the hotel information/reservation desk just outside of baggage claim. When I arrived at the hotel which is on a quiet street, they had upgraded me to one of their nicest rooms which was huge and beautiful. I have stayed in London before and was all prepared to have a tiny dark room at a huge price and was thrilled with my deluxe windfall. While one subway stop from St. Pancras, the next day I walked to the Eurostar and it took only 15 minutes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay, nice clean hotel in a lovely quiet street in London; the room was sizeable and bed extremely comfy. The hotel is ideal for Euston, the British Museum and Covent Garden

My only complaint is that I couldn't stay longer.

• Stayed May 2013
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you want a decent night sleep one is better off with travel lodge or premier inn. This is not by any standard a 4 star hotel! I have made a formal complaint which was ignored and neglected and eventually spoke to the GM who was very defensive and obstructive. This overnight stay was before a crucial interview, after made to wait at reception while a 'phonecall' I was placed in a tiny room that later on discovered to be under the bar and kitchen. Room 013 under ground with a view of the ventilator. All night I could not sleep because the wooden planks have worn out of use and were so creaky and squeeky all night and even after complaining multiple times stating that they will address this I was once again ignored. The towels were old, the trouser press was broken off the wall. Overall this was a terrible stay by all standards and I shall pursue to formal advisory as this is unjust to be a functional 4 star hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business