“Uncomfortable & Disappointing”

Grange Beauchamp Hotel
Ranked #362 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Being a regular visitor to London, I tend to always stay in the Bloomsbury/Russell Square area as I find it quiet, safe and close to pretty much everything.

On this occasion we chose to stay in the Beauchamp Hotel which I found via booking.com. It's reviews were very good, and from the pictures it looked impressive. We booked what was described as an "executive double room".

Due to flights etc we didn't arrive at the hotel until 9pm. The staff appeared very helpful but I was surprised to learn that our allocated room was located on the lower ground floor. The walk from the lift to the room was ominous as the halls were quite smelly and dilapidated. The room itself was nice. A relatively normal size, with all of the usual facilities. Bathroom was clean however it too seemed a bit run down to us. Taps were damaged, and the shower screen was quite industrial. I was surprised at the size of the room however because the website we used to book had pictures which didn't match what we were given. I also had to wonder why an 'executive' room was located in the basement.

I was disappointed by our 'view' which was nothing but a stone wall and a few rubbish bags. This was made worse by a broken external light that flashed and made loud noises all night long.

Beds were large but not particularly comfortable and there were no extra pillows or blankets in the room, however I suspect I could have gotten these from reception had I asked.

One thing I did find uncomfortable about the room was the fact the the windows were sealed and locked due to being in the basement. It made us feel slightly claustrophobic. It also meant we needed to leave the AC on all night.

In addition, our room was directly opposite the housekeeping storeroom so we were woken both mornings at around 7.30am whether we liked it or not.

The biggest issue I had though was a rather rude call from reception on day two from an abrupt lady telling me a £100 charge would be added to my room because we were smoking out the window. Considering the windows were locked and the fact that neither of us smoke, that was a pretty neat trick! I was extremely annoyed but thankfully they didn't try to add on the fine.

My query to why the room was smaller than expected was answered promptly via email (it was an error on booking.com) and we were offered a free upgrade during our next visit however I have to admit I don't think I would ever stay at this hotel again. There are much better in the same area at the same price level. While I appreciate this is a 'town house' with unique properties, we unfortunately didn't find it very comfortable, and being scolded by the receptionist was quite simply out of order.

No doubt this review will prompt a management response but sadly my recommendation in this case would be to choose a different hotel - there are plenty of a higher standard in the same area!

Room Tip: If you do stay here, try to get a room at ground level or above.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank keithdublin

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Fantastic location, lovely hotel, great room and amazing value for money!!!!
Lovely staff, very friendly and helpful!!! Very quite location with lots of shops, resturants and bars close by. Can highly recommend and will stay again!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Em1lyB
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hotel Room, room facilties and restaurant (including the restaurant staff) were much better than my expectations and the location was very close to Russel Square Tube station and easy access to buses, taxis, restaurants, etc. The location was very convenient and close to the city centre attractions, yet in a very calm and quite street. The restaurant staff were very cheerful, helpful and cooperative. The rooms were much larger than the hotels I have stayed in Central London with two king sized beds, a wardrobe and a large variety of pillows apart from three singe seater sofas, tea/coffee maker and luxury bath/toilet products. The only negative comment, if at all, is that the lady receptionist made me wait for more that 10 minutes at the time of check-in before she looked at us. Eventhough she was attending another client, she didn't had the courtsey of telling us to wait, rather I stood for few minutes and voluntarily sat in a sofa till she was free to meet us. There was another gentleman at the receiption during that time and to me, he seems not interested in attending us at all :(.

Room Tip: Rooms were very good with luxury beds and linen with good quality varied pillows. I was given an exe...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SunilAnwar
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Thanks to Afraz Quazi and all who made our stay so lovely - beautiful room, as we were upgraded as a Christmas treat - thanks Afraz!
Lovely big room with king bed, overlooking the gardens and the British Museum. Warm and friendly service, and they brought us a heater when the heating acted up. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: ask for a room on upper floor overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tyanag
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Well located on a quiet street. Rooms quite spacious but nothing special. We were below ground level facing the street and received an early wake up call from noisy bin lorries! Breakfast - disappointing, not much on offer - mouse droppings found on my daughter's croissant!
Will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank 109Julie109
Reviewed December 19, 2012

i think im quite a generous rater on tripadvisor so its quite hard to get a 2 from me is pretty hard
i stayed here for work for a week and was really disappointed - i dont normally review work hotels as normally its a standard chain hotel and they are all the same but i thought it would be nice to stay here for a change
the room was nicely decorated and everything was really good condition but tiny, literally just enough room to walk around the bed - not sure what you would do if there were two people in the room, you would have to tag team to get off the bed because there wasnt really room for two people
the bathroom was also v narrow, even the bath seemed narrow
the main problem was the aircon, i didnt really understand it - it seemed like the hotel had a fixed temperature - and you could alter +/- 3 degrees from that, but when you pressed the buttons sometimes nothing happened and even when it was meant to be 21 degrees it was still freezing, i think because the window let in such a draft
i had someone come and check it was working ok and it was so had to ask for another duvet
staff were all nice and polite, breakfast was ok, location is close to the tube and buses
but i would have been v disappointed to have paid for this hotel with my own money

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank iceland_poppy
Reviewed December 13, 2012

One of a set of adjoining hotels run by the same company. I have stayed her a few times and ther is nothing wrong with the place but nothing special either. Lucky dips on what kind of room you get. Nice view if you are at the back but no need to worry if you end up at the front as there isn't much traffic. Good breakfast nicely served.

Stayed: December 2012