“Quite disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sam's Brasserie & Bar - CLOSED

Sam's Brasserie & Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chiswick
London, United Kingdom
“Quite disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was there on a Sunday with a friend. As we arrived at about 1.30pm, we were both pretty hungry. Firstly, the waitress got my friend's drink order wrong but I decided to take her drink. We both decided to go for the steak sandwich and were informed that there were only 2 remaining so great, we ordered it. We got our food at about 2.45pm, mind you the restaurant wasn't that full and we had asked 2-3 times, about our food. Finally the waitress comes to us at 2.40 to apologise and said the food will arrive in 3 minutes, would we like some bread in the meantime. Needles to say we didn't have the bread as it would have spoilt our lunch, why didn't they ask us in that 1 hour before? I did mention that we were really hungry. The sandwich was alright, nothing to shout about and my friend has hers with fries, not really generous with the portion. I was also really looking forward to some jazz music but they weren't playing on that Sunday. The waitress kept topping up our water but that was probably the only positive about the place, well maybe the decor as well. I think the price is really expensive and I felt bad for inviting my friend over to my neck of the woods and chill over good music, which didn't happen.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“Good food, does what you expect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I have eaten several times at Sam's and the experience has been consistent. The food is always exactly what you would expect from reading the menu - neither more, nor less. Most recently I had smoked haddock chowder followed by baked cod with leeks and cockles plus french beans and chips. Both were tasty, correctly cooked, well seasoned and balanced. We paid £91 for two, including one pudding, one carafe of wine, and tip. The service was friendly and fast enough (although I know it gets slow a bit later when they are busy). The ambience is a bit industrial. Overall it misses out on the fifth star as I have never found anything to 'surprise and delight' above expectations, but I will certainly be back.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had egg royale which had a perfect spicy tangy hollandaise sauce and beautiful orange yolk. The only thing was the coldness of the salmon. We then tried the stack of pancakes with fruits. This was a little weird because the pancakes are unsweetened wholewheat and thereford quite bitter. All in all a great place to wait for the chiswick high st shops to open on a Sunday.

London
“Delicious food and good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I had lunch at Sam's with my parents in late December. Not having been for well over a year, I was interested to see that they have pared down the menu substantially. But the food remains outstanding, with the partridge especially good. The staff were their usual friendly and efficient selves. Sam's is well worth seeking out if you're in the area.

• Visited December 2012
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Successful family celebration!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

My first visit to Sam's was for a family celebration with teenage children. In contrast to some other reviews, we had prompt service and really enjoyed our evening. When I booked I was told that there was a large group arriving at 7.30 so we arrived a little earlier and everything went smoothly. The staff were most attentive and friendly, going to great lengths to answer an question about the ingredients of one of the ice creams for example.
Portions were generous and I liked being able to order some quite attractive wines in 500ml caraffes. Cooking was to a high standard and frankly, a lot better than I expected. Well done; we will be back.

• Visited January 2013