“Ugh”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Ordered from the gluten free menu only to have food arrive with udon noodles in it. Was too exhausted from a long day to try to explain the problem. Just got up and left. I will never go back.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

As long as you realise that this is a chain restaurant the food here is reliable, quick & tasty. Our waitress was charming & the food came quickly & was hot & tasty.It does not promise above what it delivers which is quick Asian- style fare.We arrived when the restaurant was fairly quiet but it was buzzing by the time we left. It is not a place for a romantic ,quiet dinner for two but for convenience ( in the basement of Harvey Nic's )after a day shopping it is ideal

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Yes, I get the "we all sit at the same table family style" idea. But this was taken to a new extreme for my family. Besides less than average food, and completely incompetent service (we were offered dishes that weren’t our no less than six times); the noise in this basement was a symphony of unappetizing, chewy chicken and bad pork ribs. Obviously we’ll never be back – that’s given. Hidden away behind the men’s sweater department of Harvey Nichols is a restaurant that sells really bad food and tends to always be reviewed positively.

I must be wrong, so take this as my personal experience – because I’m blown away by anyone who has anything positive to say about eating in a basement on a wood bench, crowded next to crying babies. And yes, when my kids were young, we had the courtesy to take them outside when they cried for more than a couple of minutes.

A family not far from us, allowed their baby to scream for more than 30 minutes. The entire section around them had scattered, but unfortunately, over the noise of the silverware clanging into dishpans amplified by the low ceiling basement – the screaming baby completely enveloped the room.

Finally, after the staff did nothing; my wife went over and said, “Excuse me, you’re baby is ruining our meal, and everyone else’s in here; would you please take him outside?” They looked as if we had asked as if they would execute the little one.

The manager came over shortly after, and explained that it’s a family restaurant and the family in question were good customers, and we should apologize for telling them to take a screaming baby out of the restaurant. We politely explained that we would no longer tolerate our children screaming, nor theirs. He continued, hoping we’d apologize to the rude family with the screaming baby – who apparently came for 15 pound noodles twice-weekly (additionally, their other two children ran wild throughout the restaurant – as if it was Farrells – for those who remember).

We didn’t apologize. We didn’t get one from the staff. We’ll never go back. And the food was garbage. I’m amazed by the chain’s success.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Not exceptional - nor very genuine but for people who want a taste of Asian noodle offering you get a choice of Udon and Ramen -- fusion style.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After a long day of walking, my boyfriend and I stumbled into Wagamama and cleaned our plates. The noodles were fresh and delicious: just what the doctor ordered.

The service was friendly; it took them awhile to get around to taking our orders (I think there was an issue with a large group next to us), but it was not that bothersome.

Wagamama may be a UK (now worldwide) chain, but such places can sometimes be a tired traveller's best friend. The prices were very reasonable for London and a big bowl of noodles is great sightseeing fuel!

If Wagamama had a location in midtown Manhattan, it would be a veritable gold mine. I know I would eat there during my lunch break!

4  Thank Amanda M