“Average food and poor value”
Review of Thai on the River - CLOSED

Thai on the River
Thai on the River
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: "All the people who loved Thai on the River before, for its stunning view, wonderful food and smart service, will love it even better now, if that's possible. A move of location has created a more welcoming entry and reception area, a better use of internal space with new decor and a terrific riverside conservatory. Beautiful silks and natural wood panelling adorn the walls, while the tables are set with white linen. The Thai food is just as good as it always was. Try starter of classic tod mun plaa, main course of a curry with choice of protein, or one of the superb fish dishes like whole steamed sea bass with lemon, chillies and spring onions, and of course pad thai. Service is still fleet and friendly."
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were disappointed by Thai on the River. Having lived locally for many years, we had always meant to try it, and decided to do so whilst out on a riverside walk one weekend. The 'buffet lunch' was very expensive and not worth the money. No a-la-carte menu was available, so our only choice was the buffet. The food felt mass-produced and it certainly seemed if they had cooked the cheapest meals possible in order to maximise profits from charging us £20 a head. Drinks were expensive and the atmosphere seedy. Would not return.

1  Thank tjh2
There are newer reviews for Thai on the River

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This restaurant was once good and now sadly is rubbish. We tried to book online and it took four emails over two weeks to receive confirmation. No welcome on arrival. Undressed table. Lously service. Disguisting tasteless food which was served randomly. A very long wait between courses. They could not be bothered to light the hot pot candles for curry or provide cultery. Only two water jugs for entire restaurant. When it came to paying for the over priced crap we had they presented us with a bill for £300 in addition for the table behind us. Thirty minutes later they managed to produce our bill without an apology for the error. Upon paying it was too much for them to smile, say thank you or goodbye. Dont waste your time or money!

1  Thank Amandabaileng
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Horrific evening! We have been loyal customers for 2 years and have witnessed the tragic downfall of what was our favorite restaurant. It is Stingy,unfriendly,stodgy,inneficient and now very over priced.

What a shame .

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived at about 6pm on the first Sunday of March - the place was completely empty and had to wait a while to get the waiter's attention from the back. He was very friendly and gave us just the right amount of time to deliberate about what to eat and drink as we struggled to make up our minds.

The waiter sat us right by the conservatory window overlooking the thames next to very warm radiators which we thought was lovely. (One problem is that the next 2 couples were also understandably seated on similar tables so we could all hear eachother's conversations - probably wouldn't bother most people but wife and I are antisocial and prefer privacy so next time we will sit in main building.)

Prawn crackers recommended as they are the real spicey kind not the white fluffy takeaway ones.

We loved the sauvignon chile white, it went perfect with the meal.

Dont go here if you're looking for buzz as there is none. Although we love quiet restaurants. If they only had 3 customers on that day (assuming nobody came in later) I have no idea how on earth they're still ion business!

The 1 reason we dont give 5/5 is because we asked for 2nd glass of wine an it never came. (I noticed the waiter brought wine to the next table so perhaps there was a little miscommunication between waiters). The couple on the next table were given the wrong bill which was a human mistake which we all laughed about but a little embarrasing for everyone i thought.

To summarize:

Good for a nice peaceful relaxing delicious meal but don't go for special occasion because it might not feel that special!

Fantastic decor - my wife wants me to buy the little thai lady statues
The christmassy lights on the tree outside are a nice idea but a little cheap don't you think? I suggest putting little chinese lanterns on there or something to give it that authentic touch. (like the ones outside that oriental restaurant in west kensington on the A4).

Food - brilliant, chef/kitchen is/are genius(es)

Price - average, we payed £86 for starter and main with sides and 2 large glasses of wine each. (watch out for 12.5% service already on the bill)

1  Thank Will C
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Its not always easy planning a night out for a group of people but going to this restaurant was something else.

I booked a table at the Thai on the river over the weekend and had walked in. The atmosphere was cold not welcoming and had to wait for a while to be seated, despite the place was almost dead empty.

When it came to ordering from the menu, service was painfully slow which made me and my friends hungry and frustrated.

Food - poor taste (similar to the acid in a car battery) and in small portions - no suggestions from waiting staff so didnt know what to order or what the taste was. I'm a fully grown man, not a cat, so make the portions bigger!
For the price I have paid, I felt ripped off and will certainly never come back to this place. Not to mention hungry for paying £150 for 5 guests - certainly not value for money.

I would have had more satisfaction ordering a KFC family bucket for £9.99 and folding the £140 worth of (Wasted) money into paper aeroplanes and lighting them on fire

Dont get me wrong, I'm a resonable person and normally let these things slide and would forget about this nightmare however because this certainly topped my worst restaurant experience ever, I would like other people to read this review and aviod this place at all cost!