“avoid the food”

london
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“avoid the food”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I don't usually write reviews but I just realised how useful it can be to read a review before you book a table with great expectations. Internet reviewers are far more honest than jornalist reviews that will pick up on stuff that doesn't really matter to ordinary people.
I have been to the royal oak many times, I could say I am a bit of a regular. Always enjoy myself and that is why I keep coming back. Friendly staff, good choices of beer and wine but eating here is always taking a risk, ups and downs.
I have eaten here a few times and the food was always ok but recently ordered a steak sandwich that was inedible, completly raw. I mean, how hard is too make a steak sandwich? Not even the caramelised onion that came with it was good enough, more like fried onion, very oily and tasteless. My friend had the same problem with her food but yet she decided to have dessert, rice pudding. Again, it was raw. Not sure how it happened but, yes, we had the same problem with a sandwich and a dessert... It looked good on the plate tough. If only the taste could match the looks!

• Visited March 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent sunday roast”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Been there a few times now for the Sunday roast and mulled wine. Both very delicious! And the portion is HUGE - always go there on empty stomach bu never finished a full meal! Be ware that it is very crowded on weekends so get there early - not sure whether they take bookings on Sundays.

• Visited November 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Good Pub - Great Food”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We visited The Royal Oak yesterday after an evening at The Albert Hall and an inevitable hangover. We were served promptly and every effort was made to find us a table even though the pub was packed. Our food arrived without delay and was superb. The fish was perfectly cooked with a really light batter and my steak was tender and delicious. The atmosphere was vibrant with customers tucking in to their meals and obviously enjoying the experience.. I will happily return and eat here on my next trip to London.

• Visited November 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food, lovely atmosphere, great pub. Can get really busy end of week, weekends, so do book.”
Reviewed April 1, 2008