“Trendy and tasty” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Randall & Aubin Restaurant

Randall & Aubin Restaurant
Ranked #171 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Randall and Aubin offers the freshest seafood and succulent roasts complemented with a carefully selected wine list that ranges from old favourites to new discoveries. On Sundays you can enjoy our delicious brunch menu accompanied by a delicious Bloody Mary. We also offer catering service and take-away delivery. For more information visit our website.
Linkoping, Sweden
“Trendy and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The ambience was very trendy and the service was excellent. The food was flawless and very high class. We had a half lobster and the fried haddock that we enjoyed. For a starter we had the grilled scallops that were also very nice. We were not fully satured by this but for us it is more about the exclusivity and savouring of this rare and fresh ingrediens that made our evening. The only downside on a saturday evening was the long line to get a table, 1 hour.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Last Saturday my friends and I visited Randall & Aubin, the evening got off to a good start, unfortunately it ended badly. There was a party of six of us, two of which were visiting from Europe for the weekend.
After our starters the main courses arrived, one of our party was unhappy with the fish and chips he had ordered, he said the batter tasted bitter, we all tried his food and were in agreement that it didn't taste right. The waiter was called over and my friend politely explained that he wasn't happy with his food. What happened next was simply astonishing. Next thing we know the chef who cooked the food was standing at our table. He asked what the problem was and my friend politely explained again. At this point the chef got very agitated and started arguing with us about the fact there was seemingly nothing wrong with the food. I asked if his dish be removed from our bill and I was told curtly by the chef 'no'.
In the end we called the manager over and complained, the food he had ordered was eventually removed from the bill. How this type of treatment as a paying customer is acceptable in a professional restaurant is simply unbelievable. Surely it is an unwritten rule that if a customer complains about their food in a restaurant the food is taken away and the customer is offered an alternative at the very least. Questions by the chef about the customers judgement to the customer in the middle of a busy service is quite simply unacceptable.
The chef in question proceeded to then bad mouth our table in the open kitchen in full view of all the other customers.
This experience is a disappointment as my friends and I have been coming to this restaurant for a number of years. Sadly I won't be returning.

Visited February 2014
Andres S, Manager at Randall & Aubin Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you were disappointed with your visit to Randall & Aubin last Saturday. I was the Manager on duty and your friend first spoke to me regarding his fish & chips. Having heard that he was not happy with the dish I apologised and immediately asked him if he would like to order something else, which he refused. I did ask my chef to visit your table as I wanted to be sure that we had made every effort possible with regards to your friend and his meal. It goes without saying that the dish was removed from your bill. Our focus is to give each and every customer the best possible service and experience while dining with us and I am very sorry that in this instance this was not the case.

Jason Barbosa
Belper, England, United Kingdom
“A recommendation which didn't disappoint!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Myself and my partner had planned a trip to London and were recommended this restaurant by a friend who knows we love fresh fish.
On arriving in London, we decided we would try here for lunch. This is a small restaurant and you could easily be sitting on a long table with other people BUT as everyone is so distracted by the wonderful food; there is nothing awkward about it. Within minutes of sitting down we had menus, water, wine and bread and butter.
Although the staff were clearly busy (it was packed!) there was no rushing us; so we were able to look at the menu and decide what we wanted to eat most. The menu is extensive with not only fish options but meat also - we were spoiled for choice.
We decided on a main course portion of Mediterranean prawns with garlic butter as a starter to share followed by 2 half lobsters. The prawns were so good we ordered a second portion - the waiters were more than happy to accommodate this and there seemed to be no problem in delaying our main courses.
The food itself is excellent - very fresh and cooked as it should be; without too much fuss. We saw some seafood platters going out and they looked magnificent. Every dish was piping hot.
The staff are fantastic here - so attentive and friendly, they really look after you. At no point were we left needing clean finger-bowls, napkins, cutlery and we never had empty glasses. Our waiter also asked us about our stay in London and suggested a show which was nearby.
We loved it so much we came back for a late supper the next evening. The atmosphere was different again; much quieter and intimate for a romantic dinner. Again, the food was excellent.
I cannot say enough how great this place is. We will definitely visit again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Very good on a Tuesday evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We went down into Soho on Tuesday evening, and fancied seafood so we came here and were very impressed with the food and service.
Our calamari were beautifully cooked and lightly coated which showed how tender they were as they melted in the mouth.
My main course of Lobster and fries was gorgeous and his main of Mediterranean prawns was very tasty, all wonderfully served to us, a very nice meal indeed

Visited February 2014
London
“I have tried to be objective and fair”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Visited this restaurant having been told it was brilliant. No bookings allowed so we expected to wait but when we turned up we were obliged to queue for an hour outside on the pavement. Waiting seems to be very trendy these days but a SOHO pavement on a Friday was far from pleasant. On the website it states, ‘you can order drinks and enjoy the vibrant SOHO atmosphere while you wait to be seated!’ No, you can’t.

They did sell us a bottle of wine to drink outside whilst we waited, and waited, and waited.

Even when we were offered entry we were asked to stand by a door to wait some more. Annoyingly, the couple that had queued behind us were then seated before us.

I had a four scallop with pancetta starter (£8.95) that I consumed and then asked for some bread to at least make a deal of it. The pancetta was absent and each scallop was the size of the top off a toothpaste tube. It was a starter but, if it had not been for the scallop shells, it would have been difficult to locate the food in the dim light.

Main course was lobster. For £38 this was a puny crustacean; more supsersized crayfish than lobster. Tasted okay.

Wine was finished and we were out through the door in less time that we had stood in the queue.

This review flies in the face of many others but I have tried to be objective and fair - just left disappointed feeling it was all very hard work and expense for what it was.

• Visited February 2014