“Excellent food and wine”
Review of Osteria dell'Arancio - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: milmans street
Transit: Tube: Sloane Square Buses: King's Road
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Excellent food and wine although the restaurant was a bit noisy. Book a table near the bar rather than inside

There are newer reviews for Osteria dell'Arancio

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We found the Osteria by accident, on a Friday night, while on business in Chelsea. It looks authentic and, indeed, is very bright and nicely decorated. We had no booking, which seemed to mean that we had to sit upstairs. No real problem, but almost all the downstairs tables were empty at the time. Upstairs was as nice as down, so no real issue; just one of those quirks of restaurants. We were not rushed to order and the bread, Puglian olives and ham that came, unbidden as a "nibble" was all very nice. The famous (according to the manager) wine list was quite long and varied. However, as with so many restaurants these days, the bottle prices were high - few under £30. We had two half litre carafes of Sardinian red. Very pleasant, but still £27 each. We shared a starter - two types of Mozzarella, one with ham and one with a very fiery chilli kick to it. Nice enough. For main course, I ordered a spicy sausage pasta. It was fine; not spectacular. My wife ordered the special ravioli - large parcels filled with spinach and something else with a pesto sauce. Well, here is where we fell out with the place. The ravioli was hard. Seriously so. Not "al dente". Hard. There is a difference - and we've eaten in enough Italian restaurants - here, in Italy and elsewhere - to know that difference. Probably, there is a minute or two in the cooking time; here, they were off the pace. We told waitress. She seemed about to argue with us when the manager stepped in - good, he was paying attention - and took the plate away. However, five minutes later, with me slowly eking out my dish so as not to finish before my wife, a waiter appeared with a menu. He told us that "we cook the ravioli al dente. That is how we serve it so if you do not like it, you may choose something else." Stunning, a chef who will not listen to his/her customers; a chef who thinks people must eat things exactly as he/she serves them, or not at all. My wife chose another dish - spaghetti with peas and scallops. It took a while and I had all but finished my (quite small) dish. I hesitate to use the word "microwave" in relation to a good restaurant, but there was something odd about this new dish. The kitchen was downstairs (so it had to travel to us) and, even 10 minutes after the plate arrived, the food was still almost too hot to eat. We think that that's not normal, unless a microwave has been employed. In the main, microwaves destroy good food. Here, the scallops looked rubbery and over-done and, although the taste was OK, the whole thing was quite ordinary. In all, we spent just short of £100.00. That's not un-typical of London, but it's a lot for what we had. It seems to us that this place thinks it's better than it really is.

1  Thank IOWman
Management response:Responded June 5, 2013

I am sorry you did not enjoy your dinner at Osteria.
In our opinion the ravioli was sufficiently cooked and as it is a fresh pasta I am not keen to cook it longer as the parcels tend to break. It is a question of preference and for that reason I suggested you choose a different dish. You chose the fresh tagliolini with peas and scallops, The fresh tagliolini cooks in 1 ½ minute, scallops are fresh and the sauce is done on request to every order, dish travels with the lift between the kitchen and the room upstairs. Of course it arrives hot and I certainly don’t use a microwave!!
Headchef
Osteria dell'Arancio

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I dined here with my mother last week. I am not a fan of Italian food (yeah, I know, that's weird b/c everybody loves it, right?) while it is my mother's favourite cuisine. She was visiting from out of town so I thought this restaurant would be a treat - and it was.

A 20 minute walk from Sloane Square tube station, Osteria dell'Arancio is a charming Italian restaurant on the corner bend of King's Road. I would definitely recommend making dinner reservations because nearly every single table on Thursday evening had been booked.

You know how they say that you're in a good restaurant if the patrons are from the country the restaurant's cuisine is? Nearly every single table was speaking in Italian - which must mean this restaurant serves authentic style Italian - unlike some chains that will remain nameless.

I ordered the carpaccio as a starter and the appetizer sized tagliolini con gamberi, porri e peperoncino while my mother had the larger portion of carbonara. We both had two glasses of wine and overall the price was not ridiculously crazy, as some people here have written. I thought the prices were reasonable (this IS Chelsea, after all), the food was delicious and flavorful and the atmosphere was jovial - not at all stuffy.

As I said earlier, I definitely don't eat Italian food on a regular basis (maybe once a year?) but am thinking about returning with my husband later this month.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Went for a celebration event on arrival only two staff to give out drinks take coats etc for 35 people very chaotic as there is not a lot of room upstairs The food arrived antipasto of focaccia and bruschetta ? Both bread based? Then we chose various options mine was curiosly zucchini friti with calamari which was cold! Then Rissotto with seafood .... 3 prawns. Claggy dry and cold!! inedible!!! Someone else had straccetti beef also very cold!!!no vegetables were offered we had to ask!! Please do not think this is Italien cooking IT IS NOT!!!!!!

Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Went with some friends for a dinner. We were supposed to be 25 and turned out to be 15.
At arrival a very kind waiter offered us a glass of wine, which we would only discover at the end was priced 80 pounds per bottle. This was the first trick the played on us in the evening. It is quite dishonest to offer a glass of wine without even allowing to see the price list.

As soon as we sit, the owner arrived complaining we were not enough and that he prepared the appetisers for more and therefore we would have to pay also for the people that in the end did not come.

We try to ask him kindly to leave us alone and let us enjoy the dinner.

After that, only 1 main course which was ok but nothing special, and 1 dessert which was tiramisu. The dessert was tasty but incredibly heavy, as I would discover later in the night where I was not able to sleep (it never happens to me, I usually can eat anything and sleep as a baby).

Well, final charge 60 pounds each, which for a mediocre meal, bad service and a sleepless night... I guess you can imagine how we felt. We promised ourselves we would never come back or reccomend this place to any of our friends.

1  Thank World C