“OK”

Ranked #8,671 of 23,214 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: Located in the magnificent National Gallery, The National Café offers all day dining from hearty breakfasts to opulent, evening meals. Delve into a Modern British menu created by a truly passionate team of chefs and suppliers: here at The National Café we care about quality British ingredients and source all our meat, fish, dairy and veg directly from artisan producers. Our location makes us a great choice for quick pre-theatre meals, though we're best enjoyed when you have time to soak up the luxurious surroundings ... and the wine list too!
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Not very memorable. "Portrait" (the 3rd floor restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery) is a lot better / nicer and is just round the corner.

There are newer reviews for The National Cafe

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Having visited the National Cafe before and found it ok but nothing particularly special, I was surprised when I returned the other day for a business lunch and encountered some of the best service I have had in London. Our waiter Trevor's service was impeccable and he really went that extra mile for us, especially looking after my colleague's special dietary requirements. The food was great and the surroundings were what you would expect in the National Gallery. I look forward to returning on my next trip to London.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Was waiting for my son's concert in the Portrait Gallery to begin so popped in for a drink. The atmosphere was great and the bar snacks were interesting

I will return to dine!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The National Cafe, which is in a wing of the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square offers a very good pre-dinner dining opportunity. They offer a two-course dinner (starter and main or main and dessert) for £17.50, including a glass of house wine. You can pay slightly more and have three courses. There's a;sp a full a la carte menu. When my wife and I ate there there were three dishes to choose from in each category on the set menu.The menu offered some enterprising choices including rabbit sausage - excellent - or grilled sea bream, also very good. The portions are not huge but you don't want too much to eat before a show; what you get is just right. The quality is excellent and the food was nicely cooked and presented. Good service - a 12.5% obligatory service charge is aded to the bill; I'd prefer to be able to choose for myself how much to tip! The decor in the restaurant is pleasant and there's a reasonable amount of space between tables. As the ceiling is high it doesn't get too noisy, even when the place is full so the overall atmosphere is nice and relaxing. A very good value start to a night out at the theatre.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Perfect location in Trafalgar square, food is amazing atmosphere is bright with high ceilings. There are different international chefs who cook their local dishes weekly.