“Best tapas”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wasn't sure whether to write a review....I don't want the restaurant being overloaded with people and being unable to get a seat next time we go!
My hubby and I have been here once but it was lovely and authentic. Great service. Fab ambience. Will definitely return.
They informed us that they don't accept bookings unless you have a table of more than 10 people.

1  Thank MrsQ009

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Having a Christmas celebration lunch with work colleagues at Mar I Terra was a way to travel to, but it was well worth the journey. We could have stayed and eaten there all afternoon. The food is authentic tapas and the service was excellent.

1  Thank Daen61
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I've been coming to Mar I Terra for years as its just around the corner from our office. The restaurant is quite small but that makes for a great cosy atmosphere. In summer it's great to sit in the sheltered courtyard which is a natural sun trap. The owner , Rafaele and chef Juan, have been brilliant hosts for years . On to the food, it's excellent. It's always freshly prepared and the quality is superb. A creature of habit, I always start with Calamares Romana and these have never been anything other than excellent. Staple favourites like albondigas and Gambas are again just wonderful. There are daily specials which are worth trying because these tend to be rare finds in other tapas bars . The wines are good value, we had the lowest priced red last week and were all surprised by just how good even that was . My colleague has lived in Spain for over twenty years and his opinion agreed with mine , ie excellent authentic tapas. It does get busy at lunchtime and early evenings but its well worth a visit . I must say I have never had any issues with staff here who have always been polite and helpful, especially considering that they have to put up with my attempts to speak Spanish.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This restaurant takes a bit of finding but it is absolutely fantastic.
As soon as the waitress brought us bread and olives we knew the rest of the food was going to be outstanding. The olives were some of the freshest tasting olives we've had and the bread was divine.

We ordered 6 tapas and they were all a good size. The beer and wine was great as well.
We turned up on a Friday evening at about 8.30 and they were able to accommodate us without any problem.

We would travel back to London to eat at this restaurant alone.

1  Thank Musicalkat
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were in London for a matinee at the Globe Theatre and decided to have lunch here. My husband used to work nearby and had frequently eaten here in the past. I was not disappointed. Excellent menu with plenty of choice, though not a cheap lunch. I agree the practice of paying the tip in cash is abit odd even though it is quoted on the bill, but I suspect there are reasons for this! The tip was well earned I might add. We were very surprised that we were the only two eating there. Only one other person turned up to eat there as well us. Considering it was a Friday lunch time and the end of the month we expected it to be busier. My husband said it always used to be. May be there is more competition in the area now which might be more competitively priced. It is definitely though worth a visit.

1  Thank Fluves