“good and fun”

Neighborhood: Soho
hindimonchat
“good and fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I like to go to yo sushi because the staff is usually welcome and the food is good.
On Sundays you have an offer of 10 plates for £20, it's really worth it!

• Visited March 2014

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Young&happy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Friendly, warm welcome as soon as we stepped in.
The staff was always there for us if we needed anything leaving you at your own business tho!
We had a special dinner that night.
The hot dish we ordered was very good and The wine testy.
Love yo! Sushi but this particular restaurant had something extra.
A special place, a special evening to remember.

• Visited February 2014
Braintree, United Kingdom
“It serves a purpose.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I accept that Yo!Sushi do not make the best Sushi, but it serves a purpose and my nieces adore it. We have been here a few times now and staff are very friendly. We really enjoyed the food and we ordered fresher stuff and the service was pretty good (although they ran out of loo roll, but they promptly replaced this).
I would go back there again.

• Visited February 2014
Urdorf, Switzerland
“Not how I remembered YO! Sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I used to live in the UK and visited YO! Sushi quite often, I remember them as a good quality and properly run chain. This time I was very disappointed, the belt contained the same few products from which you could choose and tasted like it had been going round too long, altough we were there aorund lunch time. The service was alright, but did nothing to stand out. The food itself when ordered was tasty and really good, but comments like 'it's on the belt' are misplaced, when I want a fresh product. To my experience edamame are usually served warm, not frozen. When we complained about this, we were told that this is the way it is normally served ...

Price is good for what you get, but I can not say I can recommend anyone going there. There is only seating around the belt, no 'normal' tables. I have been to a few sushi restaurants as you can read in my other reviews and this one falls under the worst ones I have been to.

• Visited January 2014
Woking, United Kingdom
“Second sub-standard visit triggers another letter to YO! Sushi CEO”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The first time I ate at a YO! Sushi it was at this outlet in Rupert Street near Piccadilly. There were numerous service failings which together with experiences at other outlets resulted in my writing to their CEO. Since then, I must say how the manager at the Guildford outlet has been superb but as for Rupert Street...

Today (04/11/13) was my second visit and I felt confident that it would be a better visit having previously raised issues with the YO! Sushi head office. Sadly, that confidence was misplaced.

As I got my iPad out I saw a protected connection called 'YO-LCSQ-AP1' and assumed it was the on-site Wi-Fi. When I asked the waitress whether they have Wi-Fi she replied that they were "not allowed" to use it. Not very helpful for customers who may wish to work and eat.

YO! Sushi operates a promotion called 'Blue Monday' when blue plates are reduced. Whilst this may be great, I also wanted to order other dishes and yet their usual menu wasn't on display. They also have a 'premium' menu, but when I asked for the regular menu from the waitress, the premium menu wasn't brought out with it.

When ordering the Los Romanos Sauvignon, I was told they only had enough for two large glasses left in the restaurant. Stock control really must improve as it should never be possible to run that low on supplies - it's not as if wine is a fresh, seasonal ingredient!

The toilet cubicle in the men's toilet is so typically London in its size, there isn't even room for the toilet brush which has to be located behind the door.

Perhaps the only positive aspect of this visit was the fact that the kitchen staff prepared hot food orders incredibly quickly. That said, there were never more than 10 people dining from 1:30pm until I left.

The help button where I was sitting wasn't working and this further contributed to a poor experience. At one point it meant sitting without a drink for ten minutes before the waitress came over.
It wasn't just me getting frustrated. Two girls nearby were trying to attract the attention of the waitress. I asked them, "Don't you have a help button over there?" to which they responded by hunting around. They said they couldn't find it which I thought odd and then they found it - or at least where it used to be. Just a hole in the counter for where a help button used to be.

I raised the issue of the help buttons with the waitress and her reply was that they weren't working at all throughout the restaurant.
This is not the staff's fault or that of the manager. This is the fault of the YO! Sushi leadership team for not setting an appropriate budget for site maintenance.

When I finally got noticed by the waitress, I ordered a spicy seafood udon. Oddly it appeared with yellow pepper and red onion which I haven't had included in other YO! Sushi outlets. This dish is one I have had numerous times and that served in Rupert Street on this occasion was too spicy for me and so I left most of it.

There was no service check until one hour ten minutes after arriving and when the waitress came to add up my bill she failed to enquire as to why I had left so much of the udon. To be fair, there were so many service failings on this visit, there was little point starting to complain because it would have been difficult to stop. Speaking of which...

Waste checks on food should be carried out every 15 minutes as these are the intervals at which food expires. There were at least three plates of food which expired at 1415hrs still on the conveyer belt at 1432hrs. Whilst I am certain this food is perfectly edible, if YO! Sushi set certain standards, then they should be consistently applied across the brand - not just forgotten about at Rupert Street.

Every review I write starts off as a five 'blob' review. Given the fact that most of my visit was negative, YO! Sushi at Rupert Street is lucky to escape with two TripAdvisor 'blobs' not one. It is probably the prompt and efficient service from the kitchen staff which saved that from happening.

I would recommend YO! Sushi in Guildford, but I will not recommend or return to Rupert Street. Having previously written to YO! Sushi's CEO about this particular outlet, I am unhappy to discover that doing so was clearly a waste of time.

• Visited November 2013