“great value great food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Giraffe - Spitalfields
Ranked #4,593 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Spitalfields
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“great value great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

we had a great value meal and staff were wonderful making recommendations and
helping with our choices. The drinks were also very reasonably priced .

The quality of the food was excellent! The staff were very friendly and efficient. Thank you all from the 2 Liverpool ladies

1 Thank Ronald R

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Me and my boyfriend went for lunch on Saturday 14th June and had a lovely time. The waiters name was Guillermo who I think was Spanish? He was great! Myself and my partner both work in hospitality and it was lovely to have someone so personable, funny and great at their job. The other members of staff seemed nice aswell, We were recommened food which tasted great (tiramisu ice cream) and the ammaretti cocktails are always to die for :)

1 Thank FionaBaker92
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was my first visit to Giraffe, and after the poor experience I had I will certainly not be returning. I went with two friends for dinner as we thought the menu looked relatively diverse and reasonably priced for London. It would seem that having a diverse menu is to the detriment of quality. A bit like Woolworths, it is trying to be all things to all people, which is not a sustainable business model. There’s clearly no focus on a particular style of food and therefore everything is crap as a result.
We shared some nachos with chicken to start. These were just about acceptable. The chicken had clearly either been bought in pre-cooked and diced, and had then been reheated, or it had been prepared in-house but again reheated at a later stage as it was tepid at best. There was a cursory attempt to melt some cheese and put some sauce on top, but again this was lukewarm and hardly inspiring. A jar of supermarket value brand salsa has more taste and texture than the offering we had. I also don’t believe that the tortillas were ‘home-fried’ as the menu states, clearly straight out of a packet.
Then for the debacle that was the main course. My friend had the chicken and king prawn salad, except that it when it first arrived there was no chicken in sight! She initially thought she was going crazy and that she’d imagined it was meant to have chicken in it. A quick look at the menu confirmed that she was in fact right and it should have had chicken in it. Eventually managed to beckon a waitress over who seemed confused as to what the complaint was. It was sent back to the kitchen after being prodded and poked around by three members of staff, clearly trying to see if my friend was lying about the missing chicken. It was eventually brought back out with some chicken in, but again of the pre-diced, reheated variety. The menu mentions Brazil nuts, of which there were none, but by that point my friend just wanted something to eat!
My other friend ordered the Penne Margherita and Mozzarella Bake. This had a focaccia crumb topping which looked and tasted like the remnants of the bottom of a toaster had been tipped onto her food. It had a horrible texture as it seemed as though it had been put on as an afterthought leaving a really claggy consistency in your mouth. It basically tasted burnt and overpoweringly herby. She did wonder if it was just her personal preference, but we all tried it and agreed it wasn’t pleasant.
I ordered the jambalaya with chicken, prawn and chorizo. As soon as I had the first bite I instantly regretted my decision. I’m not sure why, as I’ve never ever known it to feature in a jambalaya, but cheese was the dominant ingredient. As my friend pointed out it tasted as though someone had squirted a tube of cheap soft cheese into the risotto rice and cooked it in that. The flavour was awful and completely overwhelming with an even worse after taste. Every mouthful was as though you were swallowing vile flavoured grease. I barely touched it as it was making me feel ill, and have since been ill, proof of how much grease and oil was present in the dish! Again the chicken (or at least the one piece I actually ate) was pre-diced and reheated with a delightful rubbery texture.
We called the waiter over (possibly the manager) and explained we weren’t happy with the pasta and jambalaya. His initial comment was that we’d said it was fine when he’d checked on us to begin with. This had been after we’d eaten about 2 bites of our meals following them bringing out the replacement salad, and even at that point we’d only said a very unconvincing ok. He begrudgingly asked us if we wanted something else, which of course we didn’t as we we’d been well and truly put off our food by this point. He didn’t charge us for the mains which I guess is somewhat of a saving grace, but I don’t think he was particularly happy about it.
Overall, we had awful food with below par service and we certainly won’t be returning. In retrospect we agreed we should have ordered ‘safer’ options, but when you go to a chain you expect food to be of a fairly uniform standard and sadly it was not.

1 Thank Ducky f
giraffeconcepts, Social Media Manager at Giraffe - Spitalfields, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your recent visit to our giraffe in Spitalfields. Following your review I picked up the issues with the general and area manager of the restaurant. The team were keen to investigate the issues you mentioned to ensure that our high standards are maintained.

I'm glad to hear that our general manager Greg offered to replace all of your dishes and gave all of your 3 main meals to you without charge and we hope that if you visit again you'll enjoy your experience and food more.

Thanks for your feedback.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good experience...great variety and moderate service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Went to Giraffe in April 2014...Being a vegetarian, this place has a variety of vegetarian options...however, given the number of customers at peak hours, the service is okay with us having to wait for the food and the bill for a long time...
The bill comes with an added service charge of 12.5%, which they say is optional...

Overall, good food but moderate service

Visited April 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast with excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Went for an early breakfast and was pleasantly surprised with both the food and service.
After reading previous reviews was a little unsure, but should not have worried.
The service was very good for first thing on a Monday morning.
We were served drinks whilst we choose our breakfast and the food was served, well presented hot and tasty.
Good food, good value for money and good service.

• 4 of 5 bubbles