“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Souk Bazaar

Souk Bazaar
Ranked #7,338 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: It must be those of us who are too young to hit the hippy trail have a secret hankering to get away from it all in a kaftan. However, instead of jumping on a ferry from Southern Spain and heading for North Africa, we do it in our lunch hours and head for the nearest North African restaurant. Souk is very much like stepping into Morocco - all low seating, cushions, low lighting and vibrant colours. Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening they lay on belly dancing, and there is a dj after 11pm every night except Sunday and Monday (and every night during December!). Very Moorish if you are looking for a cheerful, cheap venue in the centre of town.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were the only diners when we visited this restaurant at around 6pm. We chose to sit downstairs in a cosy alcove. The decor was like an Arabian souk, but very dim lit.

The menu was quite simple, but all the usual Moroccan dishes were there. We ordered two starters and a main course. The starters we fine, but the portion size could have been bigger. We had a Spicy Chicken Tagine for main. We tucked in to it, I noticed the chicken drumsticks were raw- they were actually cold inside! I promptly told the waitress, who returned it to the kitchen and assured us that chef would prepare another one. In the meantime, she offered us a complimentary mint tea, which was nice.

When the replacement tagine arrived, it was fine. I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't spicy but the portion size was ok.

Overall, we weren't blown away. Everything was average, nothing special and probably not worth another visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mrs A

Windsor, England, United Kingdom
“gorgeous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I'm surprised at the negative reviews of this restaurant, though to be fair I went on a new years eve set menu deal (£19.95 for 3 courses) so didn't see the normal prices for this place. I thought it was beautiful and atmospheric, some have mentioned it was 'dim' but I like dim lighting myself! Very colourful and pretty, nice food (we had chicken tagine and falafel and hummous) and the staff were pleasant. I would definitely go again

• Visited December 2012
London, UK
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Went here as one of a large group. Was first there with a colleague and was not impressed with the room we were shown to, very dim and had to move the table so I could sit down facing the table. I'm relatively tall and had to constantly duck avoid hitting my head on the way to the room.

The food was nothing to write home about not amazingly good but not bad either, it was not inedible but didn't leave you wanting more either.

The mint tea served at the end of the meal had far too much sugar, it was so sweet you couldn't taste the mint.

The highlight of the meal was the dancer, how did she manage to move so much at the same time?

The atmosphere of the room was not good, too dim. I had a good time but that was due to the company not the location.

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food Cold restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

As a result of this place being off the beaten track and it being saturday lunchtime it was a little quiet. The main restaurant was closed and so we sat upstairs in a cramped room fitted out in whatI imagine is a typical Souk style. the seats had embroidered cushions and the tables were made of engraved brass. Tea was served in ornate teacups and music blared out to create the atmosphere.
Unfortunatley this was open onto the main road where two other customers sat smoking and so cold autumn air came in. The door was closed at our request but this did little because the main door in the hall outside was still open wide. The food was delicious and service speedy. I recommend the meatball cous cous. The waiters were able to recommend dishes and fulfil every request. The prices were a little high for my liking coming in at £30 per person for a lunch but I guess you pay for location in London as well as the food itself.

• Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Souk Bizarre!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The restaurant is very cramped, located downstairs in curtained off room, and you are sitting at tables on very low, uncomfortable chairs or on wooden bench seats...but this could just be for the ambiance, which is fine, unless you have joint problems. However, when my partner and I arrived, and despite us having a booking and 6 of our group already having arrived, we were kept waiting at the entrance door behind another couple who were trying to get a table. Although I told the waitress we already had a booking and our friends were waiting, either she didn't hear me or didn't understand, as to be fair her English wasn't very good, and she told us to wait. When nothing seemed to happen after about 5 minutes I asked what the problem was and reminded her that we had a booking already, after which she hurriedly apologised and directed us down to our table.

The set menus looked great - a vegetarian menu for about £19 for 3 courses - each with a selection of dishes from the A La Carte, and another normal menu for about £26, similar selection again. In each case you got everything on the menu, so it was a good opportunity to try everything. Four of us ordered the full £26 menu and the rest ordered from the A La Carte, but when the main dishes arrived, they were very small portions considering all four of us were supposed share. We asked if that was all that was due to arrive and they said it was, so firstly we found ourselves thinking that the price of the food was hardly worth £26 per head, if this was what we’d been brought.

Then we came to realise the food quality. Firstly the chicken looked nothing like chicken and was a rather unappetising grey colour. It was full of tiny shards of bones and gristle and I had to discard more than I’d managed to eat. The Lamb with apricots, however, was very nice, but again very small sizes to feed four people! The couscous was lumpy and the mixed vegetables looked like they had been cooked yesterday (and boiled to within an inch of their lives to a colour that almost matched the chicken) then microwaved 'fresh' for tonight’s dinner.

The whole presentation was terrible, the tables and even handrails on the stairs were sticky, the food was presented and cooked poorly, and despite them accepting our complaints and apologising, not to mention offering to bring us more food if we weren’t full, all of us still felt extremely disappointed with the whole evening.

Our table was located along the back wall but in the corner next to us there was a small alcove which also had a table in it. The way the restaurant had been arranged, however, meant that one of our friends - who happened to be sitting at the end of our table nearest the alcove – had to be asked to stand up and move EVERY time the waitress wanted to pass with food for the alcove table!! It was ridiculous and utterly rude to keep having to interrupt someone dining to be able to pass by!

We ordered drinks that were never delivered, the prices were outrageously high for the quality of the food and service, and we were only pleased that we had Tastecards, which allowed us 50% off the bill. Even so, we had complained enough for them to have surely offered some kind of refund on top of that, especially as our final bill still came to over £200 - including a hefty service charge, which I might add we refused to pay under the circumstances!

Finally, if that wasn’t enough, as we were leaving, again the waitress wanted to pass to get to the corner alcove table and in doing so she accidentaly tipped a pot of mint tea all over our same poor friend on the end seat!! I know this wasn’t done on purpose, and she apologised profusely, but it just ended the night on same tone as the rest of the evening. Generally disappointing! Needless to say, we will not be going again!

• Visited October 2012