“Porters staff really listened to the needs of our group”
Review of Porters English Restaurant - MOVED

Porters English Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Established by the seventh Earl of Bradford to serve 'good, simple, traditional English dishes', Porters remains a succulent stronghold of hearty British fare. Situated in busy Covent Garden, the relaxed and family-friendly restaurant offers a well-priced range of classics such as steak and kidney pudding, beer battered cod and chips and shepherd's pie. There are afternoon and evening fixed price menus, including one for post-theatre diners, and afternoon tea is available.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

when I booked I requested a table in a quiet area to be able to have the right atmosphere for a serious conversation. The manager gave us a very good table, in a quiet spot, and the table was round which facilitates easy conversation between 6 people. When I asked if the music could be turned down, it was done so without comment.

The meal was exemplary, and we were very pleased with the surroundings and the service was excellent too!! When asked the waiter took a brilliant photo of us all - all in the picture and all smiling!!

I do not often eat in London but Porters will be on my list and a place I recommend to others!

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Ate here for the second time in 3 months
Very good food, I had 3 course, scotch egg, game pie & ginger sticky pudding. My wife had 2, mushrooms & lamb shank pie.
Everything was lovely, the scotch egg runny my game pie tasted lovely & I chose it with just vegetables. The pudding was light & fluffy. My wife's mushrooms again good & the lamb shank was huge so much so that I had to help her.
Service is superb & attentive even though the bar man was also taking food orders.
The atmosphere was a little dull as it was a Monday evening but then that means not lots of noise & bustle which is my preference.
£80 for our meal I believe is good value especially in central London & this included 4 cocktails & a cup if tea which alone was £25 approx.
Will definitely come again

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The chicken, mushroom and leek pie was lovely but the sides weren't up to much especially the chips. Dry and looked and tasted like they were frozen. Service was ok but had better.
The air con was on full blast and one of my party asked for it to be turned down as she was chilly (its was). The manager came over and made a big point of saying "he would turn it off but as soon as it warmed up, and it certainly would, he would turn it back on". Seems like it was either on or off - no thermostat.
Desserts were great - the steamed puddings especially.
I used to come here a lot. The first time it was over 20 years ago when the place was buzzing and felt really special. It was an event. It's perfectly fine now but doesn't have that extra something it used to have. Geared to a tourist crowd, I guess, but if I was a tourist there are better places to go.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is a busy place in the heart of Covent Garden/Theatreland. Tables are just a bit too close together but I suppose understandable to get in as many punters as possible. Service is good - staff are attentive, but I was left with the feeling that they just want a rapid turnover especially after I was prompted by a waitress as to whether I would like my bill!
Foodwise good. I had the minced beef, onion and pea (I think with mint) and a jacket potato. By the way restuarants should ask if you want butter on your jacket potato not just assume and put it on. The pastry on my pie was disappointing, a bit tough actually. Anyhow, my husband had the lamb shank pie which was fantastic. It came presented with a massive puff pastry lid in its own oven-to-table dish and tasted gorgeous. He had new potatoes to accompany the pie which was a good choice. Husband couldn't manage a whole dessert so I ordered the Eton Mess and asked for two spoons. This was probably the least authentic version of an Eton Mess that I have ever had. Frozen berries, a few lumps of meringue and very little whipped cream, a very rubbish dessert.
Drinks seemed very reasonably priced especially the beer, although I didn't bother looking at the wine list so don't quote me on that. All in all it was ok and I would return to have the lamb shank pie.

1  Thank Gerry S
lordofthepieslondon, Owner at Porters English Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

I have e-mailed him several times to get further details about when he dined at Porters and where he sat, but never had a reply, this is a common feature of many of the poor reviews on TripAdvisor; it is essential information if we are to chase up when something has gone wrong. We never refer to our customers as punters, and we do not rush them through, unlike many restaurants in London. However, it is attentive service if you notice that someone has finished their meal to ask if they want the bill. The Eton Mess is an extremely popular and highly praised pudding, I am sorry that it was not to her liking. She should have been asked what she wanted on her baked potato, which is why we need to find out when they were in so that we can identify the waiter that got that wrong.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Dear Porters,
Thank you so much for your great help on the proposal.
Especially thanks to Neil and Jackie, who helped me the most on the arrangement.
We had a wonderful night and my girlfriend was so happy on that.

The restaurant provided nice food.(the pie!! I forgot the name), great service and great atmosphere.
After our Broadway show, we came back again for drink.
For sure next time when I go to London, I will visit this restaurant again.

1  Thank barryxian