“Not great”

Rick's
Ranked #1,901 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rick's Restaurant is Tooting's first Modern British and Modern European restaurant. With a daily changeable menu and open plan kitchen it is a real treat for any fan of Modern Spanish, English, French, Italian, Mediterranean and other Modern European cuisines, as well as for those seeking a classic British brunch, lunch or dinner. Whether it's been for business or pleasure, adults or children, vegetarian or meat lovers, Rick's unpretentious yet utterly delicious cooking has brought a fresh and unique eating out experience to the area, receiving the highest praise from critics and customers alike. Naturally, the lunch and dinner menus change daily, reflecting what is in season and what has just come off the boat or is locally available. However, old favourites like Rump or Rib-Eye Steak with hand-cut Chips & Chilli Jam and Sticky Toffee Pudding loyally remain. Favourite with diners are the artisan produced Spanish hams, French cheeses, Irish oysters, Shetland mussels, Crème brûlée and other homemade desserts. The Wine List boasts a great selection of Spanish wines with splashes of French, Italian, South African and South American at prices that won't break the bank.comfort food with substance and intelligence without frills.
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I really wanted to like this place the first time I visited it last night. Sadly, I didn't. The decor was tired, the waitress was efficient but did not engage with us at all. My seafood platter was all from the freezer (the crab was watery and tasted of nothing). My other half enjoyed his charcuterie plate but it's pretty hard to mess that up. My steak main course was ok, the steak was cooked rare as I had asked for and the chips were nice but I would have liked some salad garnish. Rob had mussels which he later said weren't hot which he wasn't ideal. The wine was ok but overpriced for what it was (everything was overpriced to be honest). I had cheese afterwards which I can't fault but Rob doesn't think his sticky toffee pudding was homemade. The 'sexed up olives' we ordered to start were delicious but I can't think of many other positives. I left feeling annoyed and let down. Very sad.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Rick's is a favourite local. I've been there with friends and my partner countless times. It is true what other reviewers say that it can be hit and miss, but on the whole it is a lovely little local restaurant. I particularly like their breakfast and have to say the salmon and scrambled eggs are the best I have ever had. Ever. The crab is also fab. Worth a visit.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

What a shame; we'd been regulars to Ricks for years, and one evening everything went wrong. One could forgive a catastrophic night if only the owner cared about his customers. We wrote some feedback - explaining that we were regulars and would be sure to return. Rick didn't bother to reply (I'm writing this three months after our awful meal). Now, knowing feedback isn't important, we will never return. Tota it is! It's a great new little independent restaurant and it moves Ricks into the shade. With new competition opening every minute, Rick had better start caring what his customers think if he's to survive.

1  Thank AdamAndJoanna
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Wonderful food at great prices. Candlelit and cozy, the atmosphere is matched by the friendly service.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

What a great restaurant - the food is just brilliant. Cannot criticise one little bit - and will return lots now I'm a local!!!!!