“Very good tapas in the pub”

Queen's Head & Artichoke
Reserve with OpenTable
Queen's Head & Artichoke is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,596 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A good-looking London corner pub that serves well-kept beer (Doombar consistently tastes fresh here) and feel-good tapas. There is a separate restaurant upstairs, which offers a more formal – and almost certainly quieter – experience.
The after-work crowds in the early evening make this place lively and cheerful, but very noisy. Seating is at plain unvarnished tables and chairs. Tapas are generally very good indeed, with stars being the exceptionally light croquettes with onion marmalade and the engagingly nutty-flavoured deep-fried cauliflower. The croquettes are often all eaten quite early in the evening. The spinach and olive oil and pine nuts depends entirely on the quality of the oil used – don’t be frightened to ask, because the difference is night and day.
As well as good beer, there is a changing wine list with well-chosen bottles.
Black-shirted waiters dispense so-so service with a casual charm, and the staff are generally helpful if you want to reserve a table for later in the evening – something well worth doing.
Overall, an experience well above the London norm, and good value for money. The nearest tube is Great Portland Street – about three minutes’ walk.

1  Thank Amesos

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Last night 15 March 2013 I dined here with some friends
Initially the dining room was full with a very noisy crowd. We asked the waitress to ask them to be quieter but she failed to do so. I think she was scared of them. Eventually they left.

it was then much more quiet with a nice ambience. The ambience was however, ruined by the pompous and arrogant manager who insisted that we had to physically move our table about three feet so that he could put a two person table behind us. NOTE - at this time we were the only people there! Later it became evident that we had been moved so close to another table that when some diners came they could not get into the very small space and they had to sit somewhere else. If I were the owner of the establishment I would sack the manager as his customer care skills are quite simply unacceptable. The other staff were fine. The food was very good and reasonably priced. I will not be going back though as I am not prepared to be abused by that idiot manager. If I am paying for a service I think I can expect staff to be polite and customer friendly.

1  Thank JosephLondonLondon
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Looking for a light bite after travelling all day we visited the Queen's Head. The lower room was packed and very noisy but the upper room was a world apart. Ideal for a couple seeking a quiet meal.Tapas choice was good and the quality ,and service excellent. Just what was required ,then back to the hotel for a good nights sleep.

1  Thank MGBman
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Fitted us in a short notice and then looked after us brilliantly, despite the place being busy.
Had some great tapas, followed by some delicious salted dulce de leche ice cream.
Great experience and would definitely go again.

1  Thank 57variety186387
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our visit was for a Sunday Roast but a nice selection of Tapas and other fare available here ~ the Tapas were delicious. The roast beef was juicy and delicious served with lovely fresh English veg and a very good Yorkshire pud and potatoes. Wine selection is good and well priced. This is the best pub roast I have had in London. The only down for me that it was very, very noisy so was unable to chat (we were there to catch up with family we hadn't seen for ages) I really recommend the food here and I will go back when next in London.

1  Thank LADYLUCINDA