“Awful”

Ranked #8,118 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: Music, Mood, Wine and Food. Step back in time and soak up nightly live music 8-11. We are a live music brasserie style venue - Gypsy Swing, nostalgic accoustic swing, and world Gypsy music - 1930 Parisian soul in the heart of Battersea - table service and online table booking - ticketed concerts Sunday and Monday live music FREE entry before 8 £6pp music cover charge 8pm and after Thursday Friday Saturday - Tuesday Gypsy Swing Jam session Free - other ticketed events as per the QuecumBar web site gig listings Tropical garden and outside table seating and free parking
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Went to this restaurant on the last gourmet voucher night, had high hopes, place looked great, music divine. Was placed at a very small crowded table next to the bar and had to suffer people squeezing behind us every few minutes to speak/book in with the bar tender, no alternative offere.. Food was really dreadful, not as advertised, wine expensive, service mediocre. When complained to member of staff he said the current deal nights had not lived up to expectations and this would be the last one. Said regular nights much better. No offer of recompense for bad experience. Will definitely not be trying again.

3  Thank ChrissieEmilie

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Looking forward to visiting this place for months. Music fantastic and was up to my expectation. Food awful - chicken main dish really dry, think it had been cooked a few times, potato dauphinois grey!! Also heard others complain. Felt pressurised to drink, glasses kept being filled, until I told them to stop. Unfriendly staff. £5 for a large bottle of still water!
Refused to pay 15% service as we were not happy. Will not visit again, looking at these reviews -how short sighted of the manager not to change things!!!!

3  Thank julie S
DjangoLondon, Owner at Le QuecumBar & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Hi
We have seen your review and we are very upset.

Our staff usually ask our customers how their food is whilst they are eating....
I am sure that if you had made your views known we would have addressed any perceived issues at the time, however if we are not given the opportunity, there is not much we can do to address your problem.

It is not clear what dish you ordered as we have a few chicken dishes.

As all our service its table service our staff are trained to top up customers glasses, most customers enjoy this part of our service, you do not and clearly after you told our staff they stopped. I am not sure why this has inflamed you so much.

£5 for 2 litres of water is not excessive and the price is on the drinks list so you have an option. I have surmised that you did not order 2 litres for yourself and were probably sharing this with a few others on your table - so the water probably cost you a £1 or so each ....

We are a live music venue with table service only - which is what we promote ourselves as and not a cafe. You could have chosen the very good tap water we serve, with free ice, free lemon and free table service with no service charge if you preferred.

Service charge is always optional.

I am always surprised when people go home and moan about things they have paid for, that is on the price list and they have chosen to buy. Perhaps if a customer cannot afford or does not wish to pay for things they order they should not order in the first place and I feel it is unfair to blame a venue for what a customer decides with free will, our prices are not a secret.

May I suggest you read the price list before ordering instead of throwing caution to the wind.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Had high hopes for this place, but let down in many ways - where do I start?!
After tasting our cocktails we realised the guy who made them had no idea what he was doing, they tasted awful - and at £11 each we were hoping for something a bit more than a couple of shots in a tiny little cocktail glass.
The food tasted good, but very small portions - after 3 courses we left the place still feeling hungry, and we by no means have enormous appetites. For a restaurant that size it took quite a while for courses to show up at our table, much longer still for the cheese board which they forgot about entirely!
During our final course, the hapless barman then spilt hot candle wax down my jacket and trousers (still trying for a solution to get the oily stains out!) and we were offered our cheese board & glass of desert wine free of charge. If the stains don't come out that's £150 of clothes I have to throw away - not really made up by what we were offered. When trying to discuss the situation with the manager he was very dismissive, and kept moaning about the bills he had to pay!
During the night we were told there would be live jazz music and we assumed this to be in the style of Django Reinhardt (with his face plastered all over the restaurant!) - instead we got an aussie piano player playing mostly american stuff.

Avoid.

2  Thank James_Cowling

Dear James
Thank you for your views.

I am the owner of Le QuecumBar and I and my staff are very upset by the review you have written as this night you speak of was clearly promoted via "Gastronhome" and was on our website as follows:
The Gastronhomes are here!
French classic cuisine with a modern twist. A gastronomic delight, wrapped in live music and an ambiance of Paris in the 1930`s.

This particular night was an outside Chef and Promoter, they merely used our venue as a vehicle for promoting their products and their evening.

This was not our event not our food and not our music etc.
If you visited on a normal night you might realise we are primarily a live music venue not a restaurant, please visit my web site.

We are not a restaurant please see our web site we serve simple food to accompany what we specialise in, Live Gypsy Swing.

Not sure what cocktails you ordered as I get regularly slaughtered on our own cocktails and think they are great lol!
Perhaps you can come and join me for one without wax....
No, joking aside I am very sorry you were disappointed in the cocktails we put a good amount of alcohol in them as my GP will attest to.

I am so sorry about the accident with the wax and hope the following will help you I found it on the internet, did not realise how useful the web is, its full of tips;
Scrape off spilled wax with a dull knife. Put several layers of kraft paper under the linen, then place a sheet of kraft paper on top of stain. Using low heat, iron until wax is drawn into the paper, moving the paper around until all the wax is gone. If an oily spot remains on the linen have the cloth dry-cleaned.

The free cheese board & glass of desert wine was apparently worth about £18

Here is the contact details of the people who ran those nights and are responsible - you can express your feelings to them directly as they will not be returning.
gastronhome@ymail.com

I hope that you come back to us and see what we really do without wax - however I feel many complaints are about peoples expectations not being met - our web site is very detailed and we hope that people who come to us know exactly what they will get. Music, mood, wine and food.

Sorry you left hungry again this is nothing to do with Le Q we serve large portions of everything at reasonable prices.
We hope you return with a clean suit.
PS
The musician is from New Zealand not sure if he plays Gypsy Swing on the piano as we did not book the musician either.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had excellent food, though it was at least an hour between courses, despite nudging. When the bill arrived they had added random items and when we contested them we were laughed at. Possibly the worst service I've ever experienced.

3  Thank James B

Hi

I am the owner of Le QuecumBar and I and my staff are very upset by the review you have written as this night you speak of was clearly promoted via the vouchers as "Gastronhome" and was on our website as follows:
The Gastronhomes are here!

This particular night was an outside Chef and Promoter, they merely used our venue as a vehicle for promoting their product and their evening.

This was not our event and not our food etc.

We are not a restaurant please see our web site we serve simple food to accompany what we specialise in Live Gypsy Swing.

Your review is quite damaging to us and we are not the people who put on this night, I am very sorry you feel so strongly about your unsatisfactory visit - I will not be helping out any other people who wish to use my venue again as it has clearly damaged us and not them.

Here is the contact details of the people who ran these nights;
gastronhome@ymail.com

I hope that you come back to us and see what we do - however I feel many complaints are about peoples expectations not being met - our web site is very detailed and we hope that people who come to us know exactly what they will get. Music, mood, wine and food.

Waiting an hour seems to be normal in France....seems they also cannot write bills and clearly did not understand your surprise at this - laughing, outrageous did you explain to them in French.
I always rated Italian waiters far higher than the French who can be a touch arrogant don't you think....
Our own service is much more like Allo Allo and Faulty Towers and much more entertaining we hope you return to experience really fun service...

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We went there for brunch with a TimeOut voucher on Sunday 2 Feb 2014

Waiters= the worst you can imagine to deal with. Not responsive at requests, not friendly, bad english. You got the impression to be fooled by them. After asking for the bill three times, we started to put on our coats to leave. The waitress runs at us with a wrong bill, with an oversight of 10£ more

Food= decent, nothing special that I will remember...we could have got the same quality of roast from a random pub

Prices= waaaay too expensive. Especially the drinks (eg. a Peroni 330ml is 5.75. and glass of the cheapest wine, which bottle looks very much like the sainsbury 5£ one- is 6.50)

Atmosphere= The only good part! Good piano player and singer (classic blues/pink floyd) entertaining!

Conclusion:
* This voucher I got was a rip-off, I suggest no-one to get it.
value-for-money 3/10, saved by the piano player honest music