“What has happened to the Prince Alfred?”

Prince Alfred & Formosa Dining Room
Ranked #5,404 of 24,109 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Paddington / Maida Vale
Transit: Two minute walk from Warwick Avenue Tube station on the Bakerloo line.
Description: The Prince Alfred, where the residents of Maida Vale have been fed and watered since 1856. Located just minutes from the picturesque canals of Little Venice and steeped in history. Our beautiful pub and dining room is unique with an eclectic twist. With its beautiful Victorian interior, classic yet contemporary food and stand out drinks.
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We have been to the Prince Alfred many times with our family, my husband's 60th birthday party was held here. We decided to have dinner here last night, and were sorely disappointed. Our waitress was charming, but the service was extremely slow, and the dining room was not at all busy. We ordered two simple dishes, sausages and mash and sea bass. The sausages and mash sat out for the best part of ten minutes on the serving hatch - the chef eventually putting his little finger on one of the sausages to see if it was still warm enough to serve. When my sea bass was cooked the two dishes were served, and the vegetables with the sea bass were cold and inedible. The quinoa, if that's what it was, was so highly salted (and I like salt) it was also inedible. When I spoke to another waiter about the poor quality of the meal he just looked blankly at me. Nothing was taken off the bill. The chefs were chatting and there didn't appear to be any front of house manager. Such a shame, you used to be great - we need a good restaurant in Maida Vale. No tip was left.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

I have just been served an undefeated pie. This could happen and be forgivable except that the replacement was also frozen.

Hungry and disgruntled.

1  Thank Flic34
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We had just finished a walk in the area with a 'Blue Badge Guide' and he recommended this pub. The front of the pub certainly has a lot of character but the the restaurant formosa is a little bland apart from the fireplace. I ordered the 2 course lunch for £12.99. The service was slow but I did enjoy the quality of the food. Although I do think that they could have had a bread basket to go with the starter. The sausage amd mash was very tasty but they had added a rocket mixed salad as a garnish that soaked into the gravy which wasn't appealing. I found that the wine was expensive.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I went here with family for a new years eve lunch meal. The food is very, very good- it aims at being high-end restaurant food so is quite expensive but honestly it was delicious. Unfortunately the service really was bad. It was lunch time so it was quiet in the restaurant area - maybe 3 other tables apart from us. The starter came quickly but then there was nearly an hour wait until the main (perhaps 50 minutes). I wouldn't have minded so much if a staff member had apologised for the wait, and offered to get us drinks or sides in the mean time. None of this happened and it was frustrating.
The mains also really needed sides with them because of their small size. They were absolutely DELICIOUS, but definitely required vegetables or potatoes (as it was literally just a piece of meat) and I felt the waitress could have pointed this out when we ordered, or at least made a recommendation. I don't know if we would go again, due to the poor service - even at this quiet time of the day.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

London has lots of great pubs and the Prince Alfred has charm and appeal to burn. However there this nothing on fire at the Formosa Dining Room at the back of the pub. That is unless you mean over cooked and inedible food - arguably the worst pub food in London.

As a local I used to enjoy coming here for the great food and atmosphere and it was always difficult to get a table. Last night it was clear that the word had got around about the quality and edibility of the Formosa Dining Room food.

There seemed to be a disconnect between what was on the printed menu and what was offered on the many special boards around the walls. Nothing seemed to match up and it was obvious the "chef" was suffering from the same problem.

The wait staff are fine, well meaning and all that but are not sufficiently trained to serve (or speak and understand English that well) so I opted for the PA Burger with Triple Cooked chips. This "meal" was the most disgusting offering I have ever had in front of me. Not hard to get a burger right? Wrong.

Broiche bun stale - and I mean rock hard - so much so that when I tried to cut the bun it shattered into a thousand crumbs all over my shirt and lap. The Iceland-style frozen beef patyty was dense, overcooked and tasteless. Like chewing on the corpse of a dead dog pulled from the nearby canal. Triple cooked chips they were not - barely cooked once, soggy and all stuck together like a newspaper that could have been wrapped around the "dog" (mentioned above). Disgusting. I mean really disgusting.

The dessert - a "special" sticky toffee pudding from the blackboard - was fresh from the microwave without any sign of the pistachio ice cream which was supposed to accompany it. We got vanilla ice cream until I asked the kitchen staff to correct this. The replacement pistachio ice cream was the final insult - as I watched the kitchen staff struggle to extract one scoop from the obviously forgotten container I knew the end result was not going to be good. A refrozen ice confection of pistachio which was limp in colour and taste and added nothing to my microwave dessert. It was about as pistachio as this review.

Needless to say we finished our room temperature Albarino and left. £120 for three.

This place is a shame for the neighborhood and a disgrace. What a disappointment and I would certainly NOT recommend this to locals or visitors alike. This is a restaurant that could be so great, but is so not. Inedible and served with same passion by which it has obviously been prepared. Diabolical in the extreme.

1  Thank Lady M