“Started off brilliantly but sadly went downhill....”

Dem Turkish Mezze & Grill Restaurant
Ranked #2,913 of 27,721 Restaurants in London
Reviewed March 24, 2019

We ordered a hot meze sharer starter. We didn't realise you got a bowl of lovely bread, caramelised onions (amazing taste!!) and some dips complimentary with your starter so we had a whole table of delights!! Everything was gorgeous. We hadn't quite finished (as there was a lot of food!) and the waiter came over and put our knives and forks next to us ready for our main. I did say to him that I hoped our mains weren't coming yet and he spoke no English so assumed he was going to get someone. He came back 1-2mins later and collected our plates and another man came over as he took our plates, the mains were put down !!!! Ridiculous! I said we were still pretty much chewing our starters and the other waiter/manager just said sorry we are busy. That's ridiculous. You've got to let someone finish their starter and have a little bit of break between courses. I really didn't fancy my food but it was going to go cold. I ended up leaving half due to that. My meat was a bit fatty and chewy anyway and the rice I had 1 mouthful. Only way I can describe the rice is like boil in the bag rice. I like proper rice obviously but packet rice is ok too but this was boiled and slimy - awful. My husband liked his lamb shahslik as the lamb was a different cut and he said it was gorgeous. He didn't eat his rice either. Very very expensive mains for what we were given. Didn't stay for another drink or usual dessert/coffee as really wasn't happy about the way the evening went.
The place is heaving and lots of big groups. Don't come here if you want a nice quiet evening or any niceties. Just go for a nice big starter and then go ;-) We may go again and have decided the best option is to order just one main and ask for it to come with the starters.

Reviewed March 13, 2019 via mobile

After living in the UK for 20 years, i finally found the best Turkish restaurant.

We had the sagiri ( Turkish spring rolls), adnana kebab and the ribs, they were by far the dishes i’ve Had.

The restaurant was very laid with wonderful Turkish music.

Mr Burgat ( manager on Wednesday evening 13/03/2019) was very pleasant, he made brilliant recommendations.

The staff was really polite, willing to help.

Thank you for the pleasant experience Dem

Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

If you are in Crystal Palace be sure to make a visit! Beautiful tasty food and fantastic service. Couldn't fault a single thing.

Reviewed March 9, 2019 via mobile

Every time we visit this place we walk out happy. Amazing atmosphere lovely staff and the manager is very friendly. The food is unbelievable

Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

Good, simple, fresh, rustic, Turkish food. The complimentary pitta bread and salad was excellent. The mezze and starters were nice. Main course meat dishes were perfectly cooked and juicy. Baklava was a real delight.

The two Turkish wines were also quite drinkable.

Service was fast and friendly.

Overall, good value for money. If you want authentic Turkish food, then you could do a lot worse than go to Dem.