“Fantastic meal!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Terrace Restaurant Lounge and Bar

Park Terrace Restaurant Lounge and Bar
Ranked #27 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Kensington and Hyde Park
Transit: Underground: Piccadilly
Description: Overlooking Kensington Gardens, the stylish Park Terrace Lounge at the Royal Garden Hotel serves a quintessentially English Afternoon Tea in relaxed and informal surroundings.Enjoy the Kensington Tea with freshly made finger sandwiches, raisin and cinnamon scones, delicate cakes and fine leaf tea from £31 per person. Or for those wanting to add a touch of sparkle, try the Royal Tea with a glass of champagne from £41 per person. Created by Executive Head Chef Steve Munkley, discreet, friendly service adds to a dining experience with all the frills but none of the fuss, making this is the perfect setting to unwind after a day spent shopping or for a special treat. The resident pianist adds further enjoyment with live music played Tuesday to Sunday. Afternoon Tea is served Monday to Thursday between 2.00Pm and 5.30Pm and Friday to Sunday 1.00Pm to 5.30Pm at Park Terrace Lounge. Awarded the prestigious 'Awards of Excellence' by The Tea Guild in 2012
“Fantastic meal!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We ate lunch in the Park Terrace restaurant today and had a terrific meal.
Ther were only a few diners in the restaurant when we arrived and only a couple of tables were occupied when we left a couple of hours later. This was fine for us. The restaurant is spacious, light and well situated in the hotel and although the view leaves something to be desired the food more than makes up for any shortcomings in that department.
I was told that the menu changes often depending on the availability and freshness of the ingredients, and I must say that the choice on offer for each course were very well thought out and constructed. I started with chorizo and chicken terrine which was served on soda bread, this was very tasty and well seasoned. My main course was belly pork in a five spice sauce which was subtle and not over flavoured as it could easily have been. The pork was succulent and tender. The accompanying potato croquettes were a nice addition. My wife's starter was smoked salmon mousse served with micro leaf salad, and creme fraise sauce and Melba toast. Her main course was duo of fish, Sea bass and Haddock today, on a pea purée and assorted fresh vegetables with a potato cake it looked a picture and tasted absolutely fantastic. After a considerable rest period we ventured on to the deserts, I had the cheese board consisting of British cheeses,a young creamy Goats cheese, and I think a Neal's Yard cheddar and one other superb firm cheese served with home made crackers. My wife's choice was Chocolate a pear tart with vanilla ice cream which was actually a rich smooth chocolate tart served with caramelised pears and ice cream and was absolutely delicious. Executive Head chef Steve Munkley should be congratulated on the choice and execution of such a wonderful menu, this, alongside the wonderful attentive waiting staff made for a wonderful lunch. Oh I haven't mentioned that the price for this superb lunch was a fantastic £20 plus VAT per head. Surely a hidden treasure in the heart of Kensington. We can't wait to return and I would strongly advise anyone who loves exceptional cooking to visit soon.
One small point. My wife booked this lunch as part of a birthday celebration for me and gave our house landline as a reference for confirmation, yesterday the restaurant telephoned my personal mobile to confirm the reservation,I suppose they had my number on their computer from a previous visit but this could have spoilt the surprise.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Ingatestone, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Like a previous reviewer we were here on a Travelzoo voucher. Frankly,it was one of the best deals I can recall. We started off with cocktails (up to a value of £9.50 ). The decor is modern and comfortable. Service was attentive and swift. My wife had asparagus and I had beef fillets as starters -both excellent. She had haddock for her main and I had a very tasty t bone hallibert. My rubarb panacotta was delicious. We were then given a cheese course with Neals Yard cheeses. - all washed down with an fresh German reisling - Boy were we full ! I would definatley go back again

1 Thank ALANJL55
Hebron, KY
“Excellent breakfast restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Went there three times for breakfast during my stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, and truly love this restaurant. Food is fresh and delicious, service is appropriately attentive and very polite. The view may not be the most spectacular (go to the roof-top restaurant for that), but that's not what I came for.
As for the food items: it was your regular continental breakfast buffet, albeit a very rich one with exceptionally fresh breads, succulent meats, fresh food, tasty cheeses, and a large selection of muesli choices (yoghurts, nuts, cereals, dried fruit, milks, etc.). Ordering an omelette got me a really tasty, well prepared extra item - at a comparatively reasonable price (this is not a low-price place, by any means).
I noticed in particular that this place can accommodate large groups without appearing over-crowded. The very professional and skilled personnel will see to it that groups are served quickly and efficiently.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank hubertk
“Artificial over-ranked.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

The view gives on street and wall, but not actually on the park. The service is mechanical but relatively poor, as if the staff was trying to perform but didn't feel/enjoy it. The hotel reception where you first enter barely give you a look when you arrive, and the escorting/welcoming at the restaurant itself is poor.
The waiters/tresses are ceremonial but robotic, arrogant and barely sympathic.
The food is OK but nothing extraordinary and it is more international-nouvelle cuisine style than British.
Very disappointing and over priced.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Professor_Camel
“A Lovely Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

As with the previous reviews I went here on a Travelzoo voucher which entitled us to 3 courses form the a la carte menu, a cheese course, a cocktail, coffee/tea and petit fours. We received a warm welcome from the staff at the restaurant. Considering it was a Saturday night they weren’t very busy. We were seated to our table and given the cocktail menu. We were entitled to order any cocktail expect the champagne ones. My partner and I both opted for the Kensington Court Special. Good choice! We placed our order for our starters and mains. For starters we both opted for the seared tuna with picked cucumber and pink ginger mayonnaise. We were served some lovely bread. My only criticism at this point is that everything arrived all at once. What I mean by this is that, we didn’t get a chance to sit and enjoy our cocktail and sample the bread, the bread, starters and cocktails are came within minutes of each other. Also we had the get the attention of our waiter to take our wine order. Anyway the tuna starter was lovely, full of flavour and the pickled cucumber was a lovely accompaniment. Personally I would have liked the tuna to be a bit rarer. For mains I had the black leg chicken, which had a gorgeous jus. Chicken was very slightly on the dry side, but still delicious. My partner had the halibut which he loved and said was perfectly cooked. I felt that the starters and mains were a bit rushed (within an hour of us arriving). However, we felt more relaxed for the other courses. For dessert I had the white chocolate marquise with salted caramel ice-cream and the other half had the trio of desserts. I felt my dessert wasn’t as ‘chocolaty’ enough for me but the salted caramel ice-cream was delicious. My partner loved his desserts and kept commenting how his choice of desserts was better than mine! We then had the cheese course, I’m not a big cheese eater, but enjoyed some of cheeses, although it would have been nice to have enough crackers to the ratio of cheese that was given. I was stuffed by the end of this, so opted for mint tea with our petit fours all very lovely. The service at this restaurant was fantastic, really friendly smiley staff. I would have given this place five stars, however, due, to feeling a bit rushed at the start of the meal and my chicken being slightly overcooked I could only give it a four. Having said that, I would definitely go back, we had a lovely time and for the price we paid it’s an absolute bargain!