“Sadly not as good as before”

Palmerston Bar & Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Palmerston Bar & Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,342 of 23,379 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Nearest overland rail: East Dulwich, then 15 minute leisurely walk. 40, 172, 185, P13 busses all stop yards from The Palmerston
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Went in Saturday for lunch, and was really looking forward to our meal.

Starters were great - French onion soup, scallops, terrine.

However after an hour and a half in the restaurant (which was about half full/empty) we still had only had starters and had to chase our mains.

Mains were sadly not what we were expecting. Steak was nice for those that had it. Unfortunately the veggie option was not enjoyed by the party (a tarte fine with cepes, but very dry and not enjoyed enough to finish the dish), nor was the pheasant, which had wonderful breast meat but a very dry leg - and as it was not complemented with sauce at all it seemed like the dryness was unintentional.

Desert, by all accounts was lovely, but also fairly long in arrival.

However the fact remains that I see this restaurant/gastropub as a "treat" due to its high prices. Unfortunately on this occasion I don't think the price reflected the quality of the food.

This is quite a disappointing review to leave - I've enjoyed myself on previous occasions but have agreed with all members of the party we will give it a wide berth for the meantime (perhaps they are going through a change in ownership, staff, etc).

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been living in East Dulwich for about 15 years and have eaten at the Palmerston more times than I can remember. I knew the pub before the current owners took over - the Lord Palmerston as it then was - and it was a dreadful London pub of the worst kind, properly going to seed. Whether the transformation of a pub like that into a gastropub as it is now is a good thing is another debate - what I have been used to from the Palmerston as it is now, is a really good level of dining and service. So I am slightly disappointed to report that the Palmerston appears in some ways to have lost its mojo. I am not sure how else to describe it. All the elements are in place – thoughtful menu, good ingredients, pretty well executed – but something was missing on tonight's evidence. My starter – tuna tatare – was smothered in sesame of different varieties. Very overpowering and not entirely pleasant. My partner's starter – squid stuffed with chorizo and fried, together with a tomato compote – sounded incredible but was actually just a little confusing. My main course steak was reasonably well cooked but arrived swimming in butter. The green beans that accompanied it were stringy. The flavours were decent enough but for £23, a steak really has to be good. Not just good - really very good. A simple dish perfectly executed. And this wasn't. My partner's vegetarian pithivier was nice but unspectacular. To follow, we shared an ice cream that claimed to be handmade, but seemed very like Green and Blacks vanilla (sorry Palmerston, I am sure you aren't lying that's just the way it seemed). At this point, we had had about enough. It didn't help that the service was at best indifferent.

So to conclude, a decent meal, but nothing more. We have had lots, lots better meals at the Palmerston, and hope that this is not the sign of a decline in quality on a longer term basis. I can't help feeling that the sale of the Herne Tavern may be in some way related to this drop in quality...not sure, but if so, the Palmerston customer's loss is the Herne customer's gain because the new kitchen at the Herne is extremely good. Anyway, I sincerely hope not, and would like to return to the Palmerston soon for a better experience.

By the way Tripadvisor, the difference between 'average' and 'very good' is quite big in my opinion! Consider introducing a new 'good' four star option?

Reviewed October 22, 2013

On a recent trip to London while staying at my friend's apartment, he took my girlfriend and I to this restaurant. At first I thought I was stuck with fish and chips again. However, the menu showcased many variety of ingredients and techniques from the chef and the cooks. I can't really remember what I had that night but let's just say that it was good enough for me to go back there again. Considering how many great restaurants in the city of London, I would recommend anyone to go check this place out and tell me they aren't impressed by the quality of the food from the menu. Well done!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Previous reviews sugest it can be very full but we made a reservation for 7:30 on a Monday evening and found it relatively quiet. Consequently the staff weren't rushed and were friendly and attentive.. The interesting menu is certainly a step above your normal 'pub grub' and the food lives up to expectations in presentation and flavour, truly some of the best I've tasted in a 'pub' (Bar and Dining Room seems a far more appropriate title).

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Everything a gastropub should be-my husband judges every restaurant no matter how posh or casual by this place. Its laid back and charming with excellent food served seasonly. Not the cheapest but the best on Lordship Lane and hard to beat. Fab to take friends, your parents, clients or just your other half to. Reservations essential for all times save week day lunchtimes (if you are lucky!)