“trading on past glories”
Review of The Orange Tree

The Orange Tree
Ranked #10,981 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

For years this was one of our favourite go-to gastropubs in London but it's under new owners and its star is sadly fallen. For a hit of seasonal nostalgia my wife & I visited just before Christmas but the place was a ghost of its former life. The wonderful decorations were largely absent; just a few days before Christmas the place was barely half full - a year ago you'd have had to book in advance; tables were scruffy, serviettes on the floor, toilets filthy & unchecked (there seemed to be more toilet paper in the restaurant than in the cubicles); food was reheated & overpriced in a way which suggested get-rich-quick new owners strangling a goose that used to lay golden eggs. One example: the 'salt & pepper' squid turned out to be reheated calamari rings in batter - we've had much better from our local Greek takeaway at half the price. Still a lovely drive to a dream location but until things change indoores you're better off turning around in the car park.

1  Thank timsky

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Lovely charming place, thought the food was great- had the risotto balls and mushroom + onion tart- good portions, well presented and nice flavours. Service was fine. No complaints. Will definitely return to try the deserts.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This place gets it right every time. Lovely cosy interior, great menu and food always good, and service always attentive and professional. Hope they maintain it!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Went for lunch here, unfortunately, with some American guests. The waiter and waitress on duty made not the slightest effort to be friendly or welcoming, not even showing us to our table, merely indicating a table at the far side of the room. After a long wait I eventually had to get up to ask for menus. The waitress scowled while she took our order, I have never been made to feel so unwelcome in my life. For that reason I will never come here again. I must mention the young lad who brought our orders, he was smiling and extremely nice and should be promoted immediately. No issues with the food - it was tasty and beautifully presented, my compliments to the kitchen staff, but I won't be back - there are plenty of other places to go.

2  Thank Calmdown
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I wrote a fairly fulsome review of The Orange Tree a year ago, & as my Uncle's 95th birthday loomed, booking was made once more. There was a lot of noise on the other end of the 'phone when my wife called to reserve a table for 5, & she was told that the earliest availability would be 2.15pm. The guy who took her booking wasn't English, so she had to spell our name out slowly. We arrived on time, to find my cousin, his partner & her 8-year-old daughter already present. They said they'd asked at the desk about the reservation for us, & received blank looks. We enquired, & that was sorted out. I went to the bar to get us two a drink, & after an initial period of being ignored, asked for a pint of a draught blonde ale and a spritzer. The ale came up cloudy, but the barman assured me it would clear. It didn't, so I swapped it for a pint of Doom Bar, which was OK.
The seating we had is hard to describe - we were given 2 tables, placed end-on, but one side of one table couldn't be used as it was at a narrow point where people had to get by. I found I had to either cram both legs under alongside my wife, or stretch round the two thick table-legs that were side-by-side.
My wife was the only one of the five of us to ask for a starter, & she chose Lamb Kofta. My cousin asked for two large glasses of red wine, & four of us chose Roast dinners for mains. My cousin went for a medium ribeye steak. Some while later, a waiter brought a calamari starter, which we refused, as we'd not ordered it. The waiter left a plate with some pieces of hard bread that'd been dipped in oil on it, alongside a small bowl of some sort of white yogurt dip, saying this was 'on the house'. I tried it, as did the others, & no-one thought it good. My wife's starter arrived, & was eaten. We waited. And waited. After half an hour I went & asked a man who seemed to have some responsibility if there was any chance of our being fed that day? Not too long afterwards, dinner appeared, with profuse apologies from the waiter. Simultaneously, my cousin enquired after their wine, which they had patently forgotten. The roast was all right, but my cousin felt a bit cheated with about half a dozen of those fat chips that pretentious eateries seem to favour ( about one spud's-worth) accompanying a piece of very stringy steak. The bill came to about £85, & had "Service not included" written on it. Never a truer word.......
Even if they were busy, surely its no big trick to get some roast dinner onto a plate & served out. If they haven't enough staff, - that's their problem, & so is staff training. We've been to the OT on four occasions in the past few years, but next time we go & see my Uncle we'll be eating somewhere else.

1  Thank Acker